Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will. I suspect someone mistook it for the Windshield washer reservoir and got some water in it before they realized the mistake. It would only take a small amount of water. I walked around before they knew I was there to pick up the truck and saw that they service all vehicles in one bay and the person that does it is low on the seniority list. My point was to impress on them that they made a mistake that could have been disastrous and hope it causes a change.Mistakes do happen and this one hurt no one. I did find out that flushing the PS system cost 89.95 and they did it 3 times at no charge.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #22
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Even though they flush it 3 times still does not mean all contaminants are gone especially if it was antifreeze. I would get this documented and then drive it for 300 to 500 miles and have it flushed again with an analysis of the last oil removed for reassurance. Dealerships deal with all types of staff, especially personalities, and attitudes, and sometimes the fact of responsibility and consequences does not come into play with the mechanic or apprentice. Have seem this happen many times. It scares the heck out of me when I have to go in for a recall etc. and can't get in contact with the actual person that did that work on your vehicle. The great majority of techs are great and responsible; but there are also the ones that don't give a damn!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Will
Thats is in fact what happened. Rich got lucky and had a dealer who would admit they made a mistake. Ford will not cover this under warranty, Ford didn't break it and they wont fix it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Will. I suspect someone mistook it for the Windshield washer reservoir and got some water in it before they realized the mistake. It would only take a small amount of water. I walked around before they knew I was there to pick up the truck and saw that they service all vehicles in one bay and the person that does it is low on the seniority list. My point was to impress on them that they made a mistake that could have been disastrous and hope it causes a change.Mistakes do happen and this one hurt no one. I did find out that flushing the PS system cost 89.95 and they did it 3 times at no charge.
You have to watch everyone like a hawk now days. When we had the 04 GMC, I didn't have time to change the oil. Took it to the dealer with 3 gallons of synthetic oil. Dumba$$ service guy put all three gallons in the truck instead of 10 quarts. Glad I didn't have a couple more gallons in the truck for the next change or he would have probably poured them in too.

Like someone else said, I would sure keep an eye on it. If they used windshield washer fluid, some contain alcohol; not too sure how the seals and o-rings in the system will react to that. Good luck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My next door neighbor is Mr Goodwrench at a GM dealership and he will help me keep a eye on it. If it is not flushed well enough it will change color again or foam. He said 3 good flushes was more than enough and the dealership knows what happened and am sure they don't want any more trouble. It is documented and in the Ford Computer system.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #26
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good news to hear Rich. While the dealer took the cost hit, it really makes me wonder what the hell is going on out there in these dealerships at the back of the showroom. It appears from a separate post from Ron Ames that he too has had recent liquid put in the wrong place on his 3500 Silverado by the road service mech. Concentration seems to be gone by many...ah, let's see another text msg coming in...where was I!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree.The folks that do the oil changes Etc are at the bottom of the food chain and I think not to well trained. I have never had a problem with this dealership thru 3 Fords and they do all the maint. Never had a problem with GM or Honda. However one mistake like this one is one to many.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Just one more reason why I do that stuff myself!! Glad you're fixed and running again.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #29
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
It is good to hear that all is well. It was good of the dealer to step up and take care of you. I'll bet that the power steering gets checked more than the oil the next month or so.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote