Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
benwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9708
generator

have a new 2010 montana w/ 5500 onan generator - propane gas
Can't keep it running when we put any type of load on it. Have checked and changed propane tanks and always full.
Keystone has been very uncooperative with another matter regarding our corian countertop so hesitant to contact them again and get abused verbally.
Any suggestions?

benwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
When I purchased my new Montana, I had a similar issue. Mine would run off one of the tanks but not the other one. It would start and run for a few seconds and stall out. The dealer replaced the the hose gas line that connects the tank to the camper. Problem solved.

It turns out there is a flow restriction built into those hoses for safety purposes. They told me they had a rash of bad ones. You could have both of them bad.
People without the generator don't experience the problem. The generator is the biggest gas hog on the camper. The furnace will run on a little less gas but the generator will not.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Your dealer won't fix it????
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
bigd

M.O.C. #10186
Have your regulator checked out? I installed a LP generator in my Monty and just added another 30# lp tank with a new regulator. The generator would run on the other LP tank but when the furnace ran it would shut down. I did not have a manometer to set the regulator on my camper. The regulator is to be set at 10"-13" water colum, this can be done by a dealer easy and if was bought with the generator installed they should do the adjutment to the regulator. Google LP regulator adjutments it shows a good picture on how to do it. Hope this helps?
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
If it does run off the street side tank, and won't run off the door side tank, do yourself a favor and order THIS REGULATOR for the door side tank and get rid of the POS one that came stock on that side.
It is a Marshall Brass C6121#2049 30psi regulator that the Marshall engineer says was spec'd out for an RV dual tank set-up. The one that Keystone uses is a POS, and can't supply enough propane at pressures needed for high demand.

I suspect that this is your problem.

Also, when opening the valve on the new style tanks, you must open them very slowly to prevent the safety valve from stopping the flow of propane from the tank, especially on the door side tank.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
I have a 5500 onan that runs on propane. I did have some trouble when I first started using it. It was cold weather and the furness was running a lot. After several hours the gen quit running. It would restart but would not stay running. I looked at the left tank and the bottom 1/4 was all frosted over. I switched to the other tank and all was fine. When you are drawing a lot of propane the liquid gets cold and if it gets to cold the gas will not flow. I think this was my problem. Low tank, high flow, cold tank. I don't think the stock regulators and lines are big enough for the high flow.
dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
We are experiencing similar problems with our 5500 Onan propane generator, it starts and runs for a few seconds then shuts down. We really appreciate the previous responses. We had the generator checked by Cummins and they say the generator is OK and it is a propane supply problem.
As previously recommended I agree with changing the door side regulator to the Marshall high pressure regulator and plan to do so when we return home in a couple of weeks. I have switched tanks on the main regulator and the regulator does not change until the tank is empty. I do not know if that is normal or not.
Over the last six weeks, through trial and error, I have tried to pin point the problem. When the generator is running I have turned on the furnace, water heater, refrig, and all three burners on the stove. The generator did not shut down. We just spent last weekend at 7000 ft in a National Forest Campground. Temps were in mid-20's for the first two nights. I topped off both tanks. Our plan was to run the gen for four hours in the evening and two in the morning.
On the first morning the gen shut off after five hours of running on the door side tank. When I inspected the tank it had frost on the lower one third and the street side tank had no frost. So I switched the main regulator to the street side tank. The gen started and shut down. So I switched the the tanks. The gen started and ran for another hour until we shut it off. Refilled both tanks. Door side tank took 5 gal and the other tank took 1 gal.
Reconnected the tanks following the procedures outlined in the tech manual with the regulator set on the street side tank. Ran the gen for four hours in the evening as we planned. The next morning (21 degrees) gen started and after one hour I expected it to stop just like the previous day. To my surprise it kept on running, so it ran for another two hours and we turned it off. Total run time was 7 hours. The door side tank had frost on lower half and the street side tank had frost on lower two thirds. It appeared both tanks were feeding propane with the street tank selected on main regulator. When I refilled the tanks the door side tank took 3.8 gal and the street side tank took 2.6. No doubt both tanks were being used with the selector positioned to the street tank.
I am no expert on propane regulators, but it appears to me that the main regulator is malfunctioning. When I return home I will replace both original regulators with Marshall regulators and see what happens. Since we plan to be in Goshen this coming July, maybe I should wait and let Keystone do the work under the one year warranty.
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote