Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Send a message via MSN to Joshuatree59
Tailgate question

I have always removed my standard tailgate and replaced it with the louvered 5th wheel one on my F350. After reading a few articles on the Mor/ryde hitch, it states the OEM tailgate can be kept on for towing. Of course ya gotta lower it to hook up. Does anyone know of any pitfalls/problems with towing a 5er with the factory tailgate? Thanks in advance

Joshuatree59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I tow with factory tale gate. I have thought of going with the "V" gate but have not gotten around to it. I like my full gate when I put the toneau over the bed because it blocks full view into the bed.
Just my thoughts.
Welcome to the form.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I also use the factory tail gate and I like having everything closed up as John mentioned.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I use the factory gate but a v-gate certainly is handier.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
I have used the tailgate no problems just have to remember to put it down. I also just took it off and stowed it against the front bed wall tied and covered so as not to scratch it. Worked fine probably increased my fuel milage a little but after a 14K trip it adds up.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have the same view as Charlie.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I like the factory tailgate and have no plans to change to a v gate.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had both the factory gate and a V gate for my old Chevy. I found most of the time I had to open my V gate while hitching due to many parks do not have 100% concrete level sites. For my new Ford, I am not going to buy another V gate. I figure if I have to open the gate anyway, the V is no longer practical. Plus, the new truck has the back up camera built into the gate and I really like this feature while unhitched.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I have always used the factory tailgate, especially since my F350 has one of those built in steps and an assist handle! The gate gives me the "security" I want when the toneau cover is on, and the fold out step and rail give me SECURITY I want when I try to climb in! What's an extra MPG?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like most others, I have never had my stock tailgate off.
I also have a roll type hard tonneau cover to cover the bed and hitch when not towing. And cover stuff in the front of the bed when towing.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Just a"heads up" in case you have a slider hitch and a Mor/ryde pin box. I have a 2008 GMC 6.6 box with a slider reese hitch. We just bought a 3150 RL with a Mor/ryde pin box. While backing the trailer up for the first time on to our RV pad in the backyard I slid the hitch back for additional room while backing. Well, being that the Mor/ryde pin box is longer it hit the top of my tailgate and scuffed up the cap of the tailgate. I guess I can still use the slider, but I'll have to take the tailgate off before moving the slider back.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpam

Just a"heads up" in case you have a slider hitch and a Mor/ryde pin box. I have a 2008 GMC 6.6 box with a slider reese hitch. We just bought a 3150 RL with a Mor/ryde pin box. While backing the trailer up for the first time on to our RV pad in the backyard I slid the hitch back for additional room while backing. Well, being that the Mor/ryde pin box is longer it hit the top of my tailgate and scuffed up the cap of the tailgate. I guess I can still use the slider, but I'll have to take the tailgate off before moving the slider back.
That happened with ours so I just raised the slider in the truck one notch. It does not hit the tailgate anymore.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Send a message via MSN to Joshuatree59
Appreciate all the informed input. Since I don't have a slider hitch I should be fine as long as I remember to open the tailgate before hitching/unhitching. After 4 years of using the V gate, it'll be great not to have to worry about opportunity thieves peering into my truck bed. Lost a tent and a duffel bag last year that way. Not to mention having to get the wife help me lug that heavy F350 tailgate into the barn before and after every trip! Again, thanks to all who responded!
Joshuatree59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey dpam, shouldn't you be able to just drop the tailgate down and not have to remove it, to back the trailer up? The Monty has claimed "tailgate friendliness for some time meaning there should be enough distance from the pin to the drop down of the trailer's front so that with the tailgate down, you should still be able to make turns without coming in contact. The slider would even move the drop down of the trailer even further back.

I don't use a V gate because it limits other things that a tailgate provides for me in particular like: a.) safety and security when used with my bed cover when not towing; b.) a solid platform for loading the truck bed with all the gear for towing like the hitch, the gennys, firewood, etc.; c.) a solid platform for my StepGate truck bed step so I can then step into my truck bed (not climb up and jump down) to stow all the aforementioned gear; d.) when towing and the bed cover is flipped back, the factory tailgate provides more security for items at the rear of the truck bed than a V gate; e.) My tailgate locks and unlocks with the key fob to gain extra security since the tailgate CANNOT be dropped unless it is unlocked whether the cover is deployed or not - I have not found a V gate with this feature; f.) I use my bed extender often enough and don't think it would work with a V gate. g.) I don't have to worry about storing the tailgate since my other needs means I can't sell it.

These are my opinions based on my needs.

When I first evaluated the benefits of the V gate, I found that I could only use it if I had a large lockable cargo box and I was not concerned about the remainder of the cargo carried in the truck bed. It would also be very useful if the truck bed was used predominantly for towing. Since the only benefit was not having to drop the tailgate, this was not enough benefit for me, so I didn't get one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I tow with factory tale gate. I have thought of going with the "V" gate but have not gotten around to it. I like my full gate when I put the toneau over the bed because it blocks full view into the bed.
Just my thoughts.
Welcome to the form.
Same here. When we get to the CG, I cover the hitch with the tonneau cover and you can't tell it's there.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I looked into the purported advantages of the louvered V-gate. It doesn't help air resistance, as far as I can tell. Beyond that I do what BB_TX does to secure our stuff under the hard tonneau.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I had the louvered tailgate and when we were out west and driving on dirt roads it would suck dirt and dust into the bed. Once I had about a 1/2 inch of dirt in the bed because I have a Roll-n-lock cover and the dust was sucked in and settled there.
I replaced the original back on and stored the vented.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Used the V tail gate on the last two trucks. Never had to drop it to hook or unhook. Never had anything taken from the bed of any truck(yet) The V gate is just ...handy.... No other reason.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We use the factory gate with the step system and will continue to use it as the tailgate gives the added security when the top of the box is closed. I have no problem in opening and closing the gate, good exercise!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I frankly would prefer a rhinestone studded V-gate (Long story here if you go back into the archives and check out previous tailgate threads) but I'm old fashion and still use my OEM tailgate and just drop it before hitching up! With the Bedsaver, I won't hurt the TV bed if I mess up too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote