Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
glenbarb
Established Member

M.O.C. #1686
Carpet on etnry steps

We have a 2009 3465SA and tried to put the wrap around carpet on the steps but then you cannot close the steps when traveling. Has anyone else ran into this? I was wondering about putting the sticky ones on that usually go on motor home that are inside but have a concern about them staying on while traveling and in the weather.

Problem solved. Took the advise of 10 o'clock and kick in works like a dream. Thanks.

glenbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Hello Glenbarb,

We use a piece of thin in/outdoor carpet (dark gray) with snaps on it.True, the steps won't fold up with it snapped in place.The plus side is this piece of carpet is 11 years old and still looks like new and takes less than 30 seconds to snap on/off,been on 3 trailers so far.

The carpet is aprox 3 feet long and the width of the steps.I put boat cover style snaps on it.It snaps on just below the entry threshold lip and then to each step on top rear and immediate front area,3 snaps across on step areas,then under the threshold where there are 6 snaps.It goes about 3" to 4" deep into the area between the steps.

I became concerned years ago after watching our Collie (Morgan) approach and jump in our first trailer.Those steps were just waiting for his legs to slip in between any step and cause an injury.The carpet,2 piece snaps and snap tool were less than $15.00 and took maybe an hour to drill holes in the steps and put the snaps on the carpet.It works good for humans too...your feet have no chance of going too far into a step and slipping through.When traveling we just lay it in the inside step well in the trailer.

Just a thought,hope it helps.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have purchased and used the step covers from CW and had no difficulty closing steps for travel. Not as cheap as 2 Sinks solution tho.

Al (CountryGuy) also purchased some indoor outdoor carpet, black to match the stairs, cut to size, grommets on edges, and tied on underneath (for the life of me cannot remember what he used to tie, my guess before coffee, is electrican's plastic ties). These have worked well for us for several years, the stairs close tight, but, then again, the stairs have never bounced open while traveling!

If you are trying purchased stair wraps, they do come in 2 different sizes?? Been a while since I have purchased or looked at the web site, but, that is what I remember.

On a prior unit we used that stick on gravely type of sticky tape, on all the stairs, it works. But, it does not give me as secure a feeling when going up the stairs, and more important when coming DOWN the stairs, specially with 3 yorks in my arms at one time.

And, the carpet does help clean shoes on the way in.

Cheers and good luck finding a solution that works for you.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
we put the wrap around on our new Montana (the one's that have the spring to secure them). Our's bound up slightly when closing causing them to not completely close. I found after pushing them a little harder they would close.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
They come in 13x18 and 17x23 I have never had a problem with the stairs closing with the 13x18. About to replace mine after 6 years on sale at CW
I also use wire ties
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have the ones from CW that you attach springs to underneath. The stairs do not close with them so I play "Take em off an put em on" at each stop. Of course, I have nothing better to do!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We use the CW carpet and the steps close with just a little shove in and slight pull out! Prior to putting on the carpet, out steps actually were blown open in a quartering head wind of about 35 mph while heading west into Amarillo! So --the carpet keeps the steps in while traveling and we get good traction.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I can see that using carpet could cause the steps not to close depending on the thickness of the carpet pile. Maybe you can "shave" the carpet pile at the step corners where the rug is too thick to get it to close.

For us, we purchased the wraparound grassy-like plastic/nylon type step covers that fasten under the step with grommet and springs to keep it taut. They are not as thick as carpet but does require a slight shove to get the stairs to fold back up just like others have described. They are finally starting to show some wear but they do help clean the bottom of our shoes prior to entering the rig but only if one is diligent enough to scrape their shoes. But with only three steps that just wasn't enough.

We also purchased a very bristly shoe cleaner (CW has them) that we keep at the bottom of the steps that we can use for better cleaning. Then we continue up the stairs and remove our shoes when inside the rig. Unfortunately we don't always ask our guests to remove their shows and have been known to bring out the rug shampooer for some heavy duty cleaning.

When the step covers wear out I probably won't replace them since the bristly shoe cleaner works best. We just have to remember to use it prior to entering the Monty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I cut grey indoor/outdoor carpet to size and contact cemented them in place. They have been on since October 06 and still look great. If you need to replace you rip them off and redo. My steps wouldn't close either.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I found the same problem our our 07. I found I could put wrap around mats on the top two steps but the bottom one that folds first can not have one.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I just installed the same kind of carpet that Al, Countryguy used. This is the third Montana I've done this on. I put in the grommets and secured the carpet on the steps with the zip ties underneath. The indoor/outdoor carpet was purchased, 1 yard by 9feet long at lowes for less than $10. It is blue as is our awning. The steps do close a little tighter but will not come out during transportation.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Me Too? I found that for closing, once the first step is folded up just pull the next step up to about the 10 o'clock position, stand back and give the whole thing a stiff push with your foot. It'll close and opening is much easier.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had thought that most of the entry steps on the Montanas were about the same. We used carpet that was cut to the width of the steps and just deep enough to go down underneath back and front. Using a grommet tool, we inserted six grommets (three on each side, front and back) and secured them with tie-wraps. Never have had any problem closing the steps. The steps, although the fronts of the rugs have worn through and I've reversed them. Been on for almost five years now and work great.

Any type of indoor-outdoor carpet can be used and anyone can make them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have the same problem and just give it a good shove like goodeyes.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I had thought that most of the entry steps on the Montanas were about the same. We used carpet that was cut to the width of the steps and just deep enough to go down underneath back and front. Using a grommet tool, we inserted six grommets (three on each side, front and back) and secured them with tie-wraps. Never have had any problem closing the steps. The steps, although the fronts of the rugs have worn through and I've reversed them. Been on for almost five years now and work great.

Any type of indoor-outdoor carpet can be used and anyone can make them.

Orv

Did the same thing but on the bottom step used springs to Grommets. Since the lower step was the one that was making closing hard. Since the bottom step flips over its easy to attach the springs.

Our Prior SOB I'd cut carpet to fit the steps and applied magnetic tape to the backs with hot glue. We would put the carpets on when needed and store for travel. Never had one slip or fall off.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Just replaced my carpet after 6 years purchased at camping world no problem now or before with stairs closing
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote