Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Weathering the storm

My only consern selling my stick house and full timing in the Big Sky is when bad whether hits, I mean TORNADO'S !! I know its a common sense thing, but any advise or suggestions in regards to this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have scanned and are scanning all our important paperwork to thumb drives or portable drives or CDs. We have a "Bail-out" bag with a days clothes, meds, credit card, money and all needed paperwork and drives. We also have a weather radio. When we check into a CG we check for shelter when we check in. If we get a warning we grab the dogs and bail-out bag and head for shelter. If everything blows away we have the needed insurance papers and photos of all the extras we put in the rig. Ya may have to spend a while in a motel but you have yourselves and critters and probably a new rig and all new stuff... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Dave said. We have all the must save stuff in one place . Fire , tornado, bad weather you don't want to be in a Rv... Save yourself..nothing else, get out....it is only a RV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
I was in a little 12X50 mobile home back in the 70's when a tornado hit, it got pretty ugly and have left a lasting memory, I feel so secure at home, when a tordado is in the area I head to the basement. Wondering if I could dig a storm shelter under my 5th wheel ??
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think another way to look at this is: In a stick home you can not move it out of the path of pending bad weather. At least with the Montana you could hook up and head out of the area, or course given enough time. I agree with Dave and Rich about having things ready to go. I realize sometimes you won't have much time to "hook and go". I suppose early warning is the key....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
we always ask what county we are in. we were in Florida and an advisory went out and we were not sure what county we were in. not good
i like all the important stuff in a grab bag. that is now on the to do list.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We were in a tornado a few years back. The trailer in front of us was blown over. It was scary. The worst part was we had gone into the shelter and came out after the all clear. That's when it hit.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Good advise all, thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Great advice for sure. This is something we have not done yet & need to do. Thanx for the reminder.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with the knowing where a shelter is located. We live in north Texas in the southern end of "tornado alley". But the last tornado to hit our town was in 1948. I was 2 yrs old at the time and it damaged our house somewhat. But one tornado in 60 yrs means the chance of actually getting hit by one is pretty slight. At the same time, one did hit about 10 miles north of us a few years ago and killed several people. But again, that was the only deadly one in our area that I can remember in many years.
But still it is best to be prepared.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

I just wanted to add one thing. Emergency management recommends you be able to sustain yourself for at least three days in case of a catastrophic event such as a tornado. They recommend being self sufficient for seven days food and clothing wise. Here in the northwest two winters ago, we were hit hard by a huge windstorm, driving rain and floods. I work in emergency services and could not get to the emergency management center for a day and a half. We were on our own for 6 days due to downed trees and power lines. It was a eye opening time for me. Just for information.

On a lighter note, I have the house set up to un plug and hook into the generator. I have the fireplace and as everyone needs, my TV. I have Directtv and enjoy having it available even when we have no power. Caught the neighbors sitting in their window about day three watching our shows. Invited them over, but they declined!
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I mentioned that we had packed one days clothes, I should have said I packed one change for myself which is usually good for a week or so. Betsy has three changes or four or five... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
I got cha,