Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
2007 Dodge Truck Catalitic Converter

I'm laying in bed,at a Motel 6, were I had not wanted to be.We headed to Bonneville Flats, the afternoon of Sept 18 th. We drove all night,from the Grand Canyon. Made it and enjoyed the time trails. We left Wendover and headed to Ely Nevada. About 150 miles from Cedar City Utah, the engine warning light came on with the chime. It was on for about 100 miles and then the overhead System said the paticulate filer was 90% full. We know to drive it at highway speeds for 45 mins. It happen once before at about 8,000 miles and it cleaned itself out that time. We drove on about 70 more miles and the system, when to 80%. Then it said 90% for about 45 miles then to 100%. I drove on towards were the closes dealer is at Cedar City Utah. I made it without the torque shutting down, Mileage dropped from 20 mpg to 15 mpg. Anyway The roll back came to the motel and towed it to Lunt Motors, of course they are not open until Monday, This is Saterday Night. My wife needs to be back at work at 12:30 on Monday. I will rent a car and take her back to the North Rim Az. I don't work until Tuesday at 6:30 A.M. My question to all who own at 2007 1 ton, 6.7 Diesel has this happened to you and how many times? Did it clean it self or did you have to have the dealer do it? Did the road side towing service pay for the Motel and rental of a car, or not? I'm flustrated with the Emissions System and may sell the Dodge and opt for a different tow vehicle. What is your expereinces?

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
This is why I'm keeping my 2004 Dodge until the wheels fall off or mine do.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I had a light once for the filter. Another time I noticed it blowing alot of black smoke. Turning the fender black. No light but took it to the dealer. They replaced the catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and cleaned the filter. First one around 8,000 and the next time around 28,000. Just pulled the trailer a couple hundred miles and the tailpipe has no black on it at all. Just rust colored. If I had it to do again I would have kept my 04. Hopefully the last computer update fixed the problem. I hear many trucks have had the turbo's replaced also. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky if we have not replaced a turbo yet. If I had to buy a truck now it would be the Chevy duramax. This will be my last Cummins I believe.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
It's not the CUMMINS that is at fault.. and I think everyone know's that. It is the fuel system that is now required on these new vehicles, GM's and Fords are also having the problems. It is just that now and then Dodge, Chev, or Ford has a situation just like what you are experiencing. I am truly sorry for you motel stay and the trouble on the road. I think on this forum, Steve Regiel has had his 07 Cummins the longest and Steve is full time. He should be along in a few, and advise on his experience.
You want to take you problem out on someone.... Don't pick on the CUMMINS. Start hunting that TREE HUGGER that changed the rules.
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Randye,
Had Turbo/cat/dpf replaced @ 8k. The only warning I had was the CEL and fortunately I was only 2miles from the dealer. Took 2wks to order and replace the turbo. All is fine now but still only get 12.5 city and 15.5 solo, 10.5 towing 06 3400rl. Love the truck and crossing my fingers that the bugs will all get worked out soon.
An employee told me that "scientist discovered a computer error and quoted emissions from autos were way overstated and that auto emissions do not contribute to global warming". I normally investigate these quotes but lately I just have not had the time.

Steve

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks Steve I am still here at the motel, I rented a car a the airport from avis, I drove my wife back to the North Rim, Grand Canyon she has to work tomarrow. I have to work Tuesday Morning, I will go down to the Dealer first thing in the morning. I post what happens and what they tell me.I still love how the truck pulls the Fiver and the Cummins motor is not at fault. I think the Chrsyler will figure it out, Its got to be costing them a bundle to have this redone. They said they would pay for the Motel, but not the Rental has anyone got them to pay for a rental car and Gas? Thanks Again
Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If your broke down on the road check with your insurance company. Your policy might help with the rental expence.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Clutch Thanks, I have thought about that, we were able to drive in to the Motel on its own power. It ran fine and only the fuel mileage readout went from 18 mpg to 16 mpg. I will however be in touch with my Ins. I have Hartford. I also belong to AAArp Roadside Assistants, I'll talk with them to. Thanks again randye
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Cummins name on the side of the truck. I have a hard time believing that Cummins didn't know what was being added to the motor and they did not approve the whole package. Somebody had to figure exhaust flow, fuel mapping, turbo performance etc. How can they figure loads placed on the parts in the motor? This cannot be done without knowing what is down stream of the motor. Does the turbo come from Cummins or does one buy a turbo from tail light turbo and Cummins will honor the warranty on the motor. I do not think thats the way it works. I cannot relieve Cummins of all responsibility. They could have said hey dodge, this ain't gonna work and we are not going to sell you any motors. They didn't so they bear the responsibility as much as Dodge. Yes Ford continues to have problems but from what I have heard Chevy has worked them out.

I do agree whole heartily with the emissions really hurting the truck and the broken thought process behind it. Why do I need a 2010 compliant truck in 2007. Maybe they should spend more time to get it right before selling it to me. Again we suffer because of the cries of a few.

But this is not the only industry it happens in unfortunately. Happens every day I am at work. We are the research and development department for many products we buy. That is not good for the consumer! Cannot wait until its time to trade it. That should be fun. You want what for that? It needs 2,000 dollars of work every 10,000 miles.

In the meantime randye hopefully youre on the road quickly and this latest update solves all our problems.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Wow, this makes my 01 Cummins look better all the time, 12.4 mpg towing a fully loaded 3400RL and no problems in 108,610 miles. Just do the routine services and go down the road.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
It's called Customer Research and Development. I have heard Dodge is having more problems than the other two. I talked to a fellow down here that said his son's 1 ton had been in the shop for a couple weeks, waiting on parts. Seems to be a shortage. Think I'll stick with the older models.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Update, I rented a car from Avis,Sunday afternoon as my wife needed to be back at work by noon on Monday. I drove her back the 174 miles to the North Rim and drove back to Cedar City same miles all in one night. I got up at 6 a.m and got breakfast at Ihop and went to the Dealership they were not in yet the owner was there, he was sorry to hear I was having problems. I asked when I could talk to a service manager, he said 7:30 a.m. I waited half an hour. I talked to the service manager and told him My truck had been in thier lock up since Saterday afternoon and I needed to know as soon as possible if it could be fixed that day or would I need to rent the car I was using for the rest of the week, because I could only come back on Friday my next day off. He said he would put someone on it, at 8 a.m. check back around 10 a.m. I got back thier at 10 a.m. they had not even looked at it, the truck was still parked were is was for a day and a half. I stayed in the bay looking disapointed reading my Warrenty booklet. The manager finally had it brought it in side the bay and the Macanic took his time at a break getting plenty of cookies and coffee. around 11 a.m. it took him 20 mins to run a lap top program to see what was wrong. Next thing I know the truck was drove out and I asked the manager what was up? He said the Particulate Filter was a little shootty and they would drive it for 45 mins at highway speeds and that would be it. By 12:30 p.m. It was back and they said it should be fine. They did give me a DVD and a Dodge Ram Truck Diesel Supplement 2008 to read and watch. If thier is any thing to be learned I will post it. I drove it the 174 miles back to the North Rim, Grand Canyon and it ran like a dream? randye
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
38,000 miles on this 2007 Dodge 6.7 and it only happened one time. And that was the dealer's fault. We had a recall for one of the emission sensors. The dealer replaced the sensor but neglected to reprogram the computer to properly use the new style sensor. A few miles later we got that message. We were close to the dealer so pulled in. They discovered their error, reprogrammed the computer and not a single problem since. That was about 20,000 or so miles ago, or more. I was impressed with the service guy who came into the waiting room to explain the problem was his fault and for apologizing. He did not cover it up at all. This was the Dodge dealer in Benson, AZ.

If you got a load of low sulfur diesel instead of ultra low, I understand that can cause that problem, too. That's just what I heard. I'm not an expert.

As for Dodge having more problems than the other brands, I'm hearing and experiencing just the opposite. Ours had the original style turbo. At 13,000 miles the light came on and they installed the new style turbo. That was September of last year. We now have 25,000 additional miles on the truck, 38,000 total and have had no other problems at all other than the recall mentioned above.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote