Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Ant Invasion

We were invaded with ants. Nearly every where you look we can find some teeny tiny ants crawling around. Did anyone else at the rally notice any ants or have a problem with them?

I guess we will need to remove the food and spray for them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
You can use comet/ajax around your landing gear, rear stabilizers, electrical and water hoses to prevent them from entering into your traveling house. Since they are already there a quick way to get rid of them is to set off a bomb with the slides out. Hubby had them in Florida, and finally had to set off a Raid bomb to get rid of them. If you don't want to use something that has poison in it you can use boric acid with jello in it. That will take alot longer to get rid of them. If you aren't allergic I would just use the raid bomb and let it air out.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have the JT's elephant feet on my stabilizers, I soak the tops of them with Raid ant and roach spray with the residual film. I put powdered boric acid around the tires and spray any cables or hoses that come in contact with the ground. We have also put those little ant traps under the fridge and behind the pantry slide out. We have only had one small infestation which prompted the above response. So far so good and no more ants... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't have any advice on getting rid of them but here's how to keep them out.

Get a good quality ant spray and spray everything that touches the ground and I do mean EVERYTHING.
  • Tires
  • Jacks
  • Stabilizers
  • Electric Cable
  • TV/Satilite Cable
  • Water hose
  • Sewer Hose
  • Any broom, chairs, furniture, etc should not be leaning against the trailer
  • Spray the entire area around and under the trailer
It is not necessary to spray anymore than 6 inches off the ground. Sraying the entire jack, tires, etc is just wasting spray.

We winter in Florida where ants are very much a problem but in the past 4 years we have not had any problems with ants in or around the trailer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
I have had two invasions over the years. Once was in a MH that was sitting for almost 2 years with only moving more than 3 feet every month. Carpenter ants went up the tire and started to build a nest in the insulation in the basement. Luckly I caught it early and was able to irradicate them with a spray.
The other more recent incident involved small ants, in the interior. Being DW has sensitivities to many of the insecticides on the market, I spent the time to follow their path to locate the general nesting area which I used a localized topical posion. I also used it on their pathways which got wiped of frequently so it had to be reapplied. It took a couple of weeks to get rid of them but it worked and have not had any further problems... especially since leaving Florida.
We have also found that citronella and/or boric acid are a good deterant.
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I would bomb it with at least 2 bombs. Then sprinkle comet around anything touching the ground. This has worked for us and we never have ants.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Use a product called Terra not sur if I am spelling correctly. It is a red liquid works well
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Ken, where did you purchase Terra?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Most hardware stores have it also Agway.
again it works
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
WARNING: If you are going to use the bomb method please make sure to turn off all ignition sources before you light them off.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Last week in Albany, Texas we were camped in an area with fire-ants everywhere. I spread Ortho Fire Ant killer around my area and I guess I ran them to my neighbors. Both campers on either side of me had ants in the RV's. They were coming in the electic lines. Both of them used bombs to kill the one inside (of course turning everything Off).
What spray do you have the best luck with?
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
As a follow up, I set out some traps and caught a few ants in those but some of them acted like they knew not to go inside of it. I went ahead and set off one of the fogger type insecticides; since then I haven't seen any more ants.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well we got infested in tenn or kty but nancy , tom41 wife told us to use dryer sheets on the cabinets and floor ,, we faught them for 1 hr then spray but i got out the dryer sheets and have had none since early june ,, ask tom41 ,,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Dryer sheets keep ants away? Thats yet another use!

I use croûtons that has been treated with Raid ant drops. It is slow but effective and limits exposure of people and pets to poisons. Place them inside a lower cupboard, in storage compartments and other areas where ants are likely to be foraging and kida and pets don't. If you want to avoid Raid then mix up borax with water then bring to a slow boil adding sugar until it will take no more. When cooled this makes a sticky syrup that can be substituted for the Raid. (Eliminate the borax and you have gomme syrup for drinks. The same mixture can be used as a trap by putting some in a small glass or plastic container laid on its side on the ground in areas that ants are found.

Oops forgot one more tip that I learned from a guy in a plaid shirt. Wrap duct tape upside down (sticky side out) on anything that ants can use as a path inside. This makes an effective glue trap and doesn't leave a sticky residue when removed.

Now if you can find a friendly formicivorous armadillo ..........

The only caution is to protect pets and children from potential ingestion as it can cause them serious digestive system damage.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote