Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Arson Mouse vs House

I hate mice, not so much to either play with or squish but when they visit when we aren't home that tears it. Betsy has done a couple loads in the dishwasher since we have been home. Yesterday she did one and it "popped" and stopped. When I got home I tested it out and it would not run. Out came the circuit tester and no power to washer. Took flash light and looked under the dishwasher and followed the wire to where it goes through the floor Uh Oh! There was a partly charred nest around the wire and 4 inches of it were totally stripped clean. Sometime during the winter the little fella stripped it and it didn't short it out, amazing.
Anyway I spent the day checking all the rest of the of the visible wiring and no other fire traps so I guess that may be the last problem. This could have been very nasty if Betsy hadn't been home, the nest had started to char before the breaker went. Wow, luck us. So the house won this time and next season if we don't sell the house will be surrounded with bait... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Whew, now, that is what I call a close call. Glad you are not reporting worse.

I also hate mice, had a bad bad bad infestation one year when we got back from the RGV. They were even in our toaster. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Over 9 months later we were still finding the evidence of thier stay. (They had a large bag of peppermint candies from Sams to munch on all winter, we had FAT diabetic mice!)

We put down traps everywhere, in the basement, in the garage, everyplace we could get them, Al was carrying away FAT diabetic mice for a while.

But, happy to say, we have not caught one in 18 months now.

One thing we do that we are not sure helps, but we think it does, is to spread a generous amount of "Milorganite" fertilizer around the entire exterior of the house in late fall. For those that may not know, it is a low nitrogen, slow release fertilizer that is produced from human sludge (yepp, you got it!).

It even keeps the deer away from my plants. Well, we think it does, use it, no damage, forget, the deer eat away! We put it down for those purposes several times a year.

Sure glad you did not have a fire. Whewie!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
Have you noticed you don't have much company!!!!

I'll be gone for about 3 months so now y'all have me wondering what I'm going to encounter when I get home. I've seen those big suckers walking the power lines at night. I used to spread bait around in the attic and that stopped them, but this year I had 14 inches of insulation blown into the attic. Oh well!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wayne,
They will be grateful to you beyond measure for their new condo with wall-to-wall beds!!!!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Terie hates mice, and I'm not a big fan either. One time, one fell into our toploading washer. Hot-Hot and let her spin. Another one succumbed to a BB gun in the basement. At least you can have some sport with the critters if you know they're around. It's just best if they're not around.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote