Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Memorial Day Campgrounds

We just returned to Phoenix from a quick trip to Albuquerque ($500.00 of diesel). We spent last year in the same campground , hidden Valley, just east of the Duke city. I was amazed at how relatively empty the campground was. Last year most sites were full. This year it looked like 50 to 60% occupancy at most. True, the weekend started out cold but I bet a bigger reason is fuel cost.

I also noted that traffic seemed to be down overall. We did see a lot of fivers on the road but a gut feel says the population was down.

What was your experience on the road this weekend?
Dave

PS, we are staying closer to Phoenix this year but only partially because of fuel cost. Turns out one of our kids is going in for surgery and momma wants to be close by -- Maybe a fall trip will be in order....

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I read a comment about getting reduced rates at campgrounds. I had not thought about it but with people not traveling it may be available. You don't know until you ask.
Best of luck and speedy recovery the the kid's surgery.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We spent the weekend in Milton New Hampshire at a campground named Mi-Te-Jo and it was sold out much to my surprise. I did get the feeling that traffic was lighter on the highways this year and people seemed to stay around the campground more than usual.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Campground here on lake chickamauga in Tn was packed for the last 2 weeks then this past weekend they put the "campground full" sign out. Its still pretty full. most are locals and surrounding area.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We traveled from Texas City, TX to Texarkana, TX, to Memphis, AR, to Crossville, TN, to Salem, VA and we saw many 5er's and MH's going and coming. The 18 wheelers are very predominant on the interstates. I counted 100 18 wheelers in less than 10 minutes and the wife did the same at a different period of time.

The Tom Sawyer Mississippi River Campground has a new 5th wheel area. It is about 24 sites in two rows. The River row had a few sites open, the second row only had one site occupied. The MH section was pretty full.

All the other CG's had space with not problem. I'm sure the weekend will bring the weekenders out of the garages.

As for Memorial Day Weekend, we called ahead from Memphis, AR, and could not find a site within 250-300 miles of us that was not full. (Did I really try hard?????)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Im seeing lots of RV's on the road and the local campground that we frequent thats usually quiet was absolutely packed for the holiday weekend. The caretaker told us they've never had so many. I also had trouble booking july 4th weekend at the end of march due to full campgrounds. Does it mean people are still camping? Yep! But Ill bet more folks are staying local and the higher profile resort areas are slowing down.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
As I stated last week in another thread, the Michigan State Parks were at 81% capacity with reservations 2 nights before the holiday began.

We have a park about 4 miles from here, so on Saturday we ran over there.

On Saturday afternoon, there were 4 open spots, 2 of these are handicapped sites and 2 were regular ones.

The park was full of smaller rigs, as is the norm for many of the Michigan State Parks, sure, there are some larger 5ers, once in a while we see a fancy dancy expensive MH, but usually, in the State Parks we see, pop ups, a few tents, mostly travel trailers 24 to 30 feet, lots of kids and dogs and families.

The sign at the gate said SORRY FULL.

By the way, this park is about 70 miles from Detroit, 40 from Ann Arbor, ohhhh, 60 (??) from Toledo and maybe 20 from Jackson, lots of metro people to fill it up.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I work in a membership campground (ROD) and it was full for the entire weekend - not a vacant site left. Like Carol mentions, this park is also close to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint and Lansing and people do not travel far to get here. Anyone getting near Hartland, MI, stop at Waldenwoods RV Resort and ask for "Ranger Jim." The coffee's always on.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Had reservations at Rifle River Rec Area (MI state park) over memorial day weekend.

Park was filled to capacity. Even some staying in organizational area.

Park is also filled for July 4th.

Here in MI have to make reservations months in advance.

I75 expressway was very busy, but traffic was still moving OK

Talked to various people around campground and found out most came from within a 100 - 150 mi radius.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
It looks to me like I can see a decrease in the traffic. A lot of people just simply can’t afford the cost of fuel today.

If there is a good side to all of this maybe it will be easier to find a camping spot in campgrounds. I really don’t enjoy the fact of always having to make reservations. I sort of miss the days when we would take off on a whim not even having a destination in mind and just find a campground along the way.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
In Wausau, WI for grandsons' B-Day and wasted $6 making a reservation in Marathon Park. Only 7 sites of 24 filled. Back in Washburn talked to two caretakers and West End only had 1/3 sites occuppied while Memorial Park had 4 filled of 24. It did seem like traffic around Minoqua-Woodruff was heavy, but not as heavy as I have seen in the past.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I think from what I have read most State parks are doing a lot of business East of the big river. West of the river I would think business would be down some due to travel distance This past week-end I agree travel would be a little different remember a lot of Stimulus checks had been sent out and lots of people said well its may be more expensive next week.

How ever I keep reading were people say they want quit traveling. Well all I can say they must have unlimited resoureces. Most everything that requires Oil or just about all food products have seen increases in price. Just remember everthing we use has been on a Truck the price will go up.

As some of you know we are kinda looking at the Big Sky 10th Edition, Delaine has talked to several dealerships and also to Keystone. Didn't hear of a price increase if it goes up $4,000 + we will reconsider. That would be a hefty increase. With the Oil going higher everday I don't think price increases are going to help the RV industry. We haven't been able to locate the floor plan we are looking for. There is a 2009 model with the rear entertainment system but thats not what we are looking. An the places that do have some 2008's said they want order 09's until they sell the 08's.

I think in the next 60 days you will begin to see much less RV's on the road. I am seeing much less than last year. Yesterday we spent several hours on I-40 RV traffic is down from last year.

State parks seem to do well, again I think its the short travel distance. We don't do State parks, just prefer the RV parks vs the State parks. I sure hope I am wrong and that RV travel stays up, if not I see some of the smaller RV parks closing. Good Luck to all. Just hope we get smart and go after our leaders in Congress. We just got mail from our Congressmen and he said he will continue to vote to drill in areas we know for sure Oil is there. What does your Congressmen say???????? GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
State parks are probably up because of the cost (less expensive).
We stayed at an RV resort campground and I would say the capacity was only 70% and we made reservations the monday before the holiday weekend. I've been searching the local state park for reservations for this month and they are booked solid except for a couple tent/tent trailer sites.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
A bit off topic, sorta??

Was checking something else and see that on the reservation system for the Michigan State Parks that they have the numbers and percentiles up for the 4th of July weekend.

State wide, 86 % of the available campsites are reserved.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The good news is that the local C.G's are in most cases seeing a increase in reservations. That is attributed to folks staying close to home and traveling less distance.So at least the C.G owners may be able to stay afloat.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote