Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2008, 03:53 AM   #21
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

We did what Bingo did as far as the bedroom receiver. However, we can have the booster on when running DirecTV just not when running CG cable. On our receivers (RCA) there is a coonnection on the back that says in from antenna. If we hook this up to the antenna connection we can switch from Direct to antenna with the Direct remote. This makes it nice to get weather and news locally. It seems that a lt of our units are wired differently.
Happy trails............
I have Bell Express Satellite dish with 2 line ability to 2 separate receivers. There is presently only 1 coaxle line at the side of the 3400Rl going to the entertainment center. So I need to run another one from outside tot eh bedroom

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 AM   #22
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

If you have Dish, you likely don't need a cable to feed the bedroom TV. But since you asked, I assume you have Direct TV and like BW2, I ran a cable from the Entertainment Center through the basement, up into the area under the dresser, and then into the closet. I have a 2955RL which is slightly different from your rig. I was able to run the cable through the boxed in area along the curb side floor all the way from where the up feed from the basement came in to the closet. I did have to cut two holes (one under the dresser and the other in the closet) for access while fishing the wires. They were covered up easily and there are no obvious signs of the cable.
Thanks Carl. That's a good idea

I also replaced the external phone jack plug on the street side with a duplex RF connector. I use this for the feed from my dual LNB into the entertainment center. I added another duplex RF plate in the entertainment center that connects to the feed from the LNBs. This way I can have both Direct TV and the campground cable feed connected and usable at the same time.

Carl
Old 03-21-2008, 04:11 AM   #23
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I should have prefaced it with "FreedaII"

FreedII,
What provider do you use and what antenna?
I use Bell Expressview. I have a second satellite dish which I use for Freeda II. 2 outlets come from the dish to 2 receivers
Old 03-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #24
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

I had the dealer run a separate cable to the bedroom TV. They put a cable hookup in the service center above the factory one and ran the cable across the top of the storage area, then up under the dresser and along the floor across to the w/d cupboard then up through the TV area to the satellite receiver. We can have two TVs on different channels.
Thanks Don. This sounds like the way I should go. Now I have to wait until it is warm enough up our way here in Nova Scotia
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bell ExpressVu is a Canadian system that I am not familiar with, although it has been around since 1994.

Things to look for on your receiver as technology has changed dramatically over the years.

How many "SAT" inputs are on the back of the receiver
Does the back of the receiver have an output labeled "distribution out," or something similar.

If you have two SAT inputs and a distribution out you can use the present wiring in the Montana. Run both antenna leads, one to Sat 1 and one to Sat 2 inputs. Run a short Jumper cable from the "distribution output" to the top jumper connection in the DVD cabinet. If it is the newer technology, you will then be able to view different channels on each television with only the one receiver.

This is the way the new DISH Network receivers work. I don't know about Bell ExpressVu, but give it a shot.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #26
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Bell ExpressVu is a Canadian system that I am not familiar with, although it has been around since 1994.

Things to look for on your receiver as technology has changed dramatically over the years.

How many "SAT" inputs are on the back of the receiver
Does the back of the receiver have an output labeled "distribution out," or something similar.

If you have two SAT inputs and a distribution out you can use the present wiring in the Montana. Run both antenna leads, one to Sat 1 and one to Sat 2 inputs. Run a short Jumper cable from the "distribution output" to the top jumper connection in the DVD cabinet. If it is the newer technology, you will then be able to view different channels on each television with only the one receiver.

This is the way the new DISH Network receivers work. I don't know about Bell ExpressVu, but give it a shot.
Looks to me like they have a couple units that will do that. Bell ExpressVu is very similar to Dish. In fact, if a Dish card is "adjusted" correctly, the Dish receivers will receive the Canadian broadcasts.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #27
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Will.
It may save Freeda II some money and wire stringing worries if she has that particular receiver.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
dwells
Established Member

M.O.C. #6428
We have a 2007 3400Rl. I have a dual LNB and a receiver in the den and bedroom. I connect one coax from LNB to the factory connection. I found the coax that runs from den to bedroom under desk slideout, cut
the coax installed connector and connect the other LNB to this line.
Works great. Directtv
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have Starchoice which allow you to travel through out North America with Bell don't tell them or call them as they will cut you off.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #30
Geo5Sue

M.O.C. #6619
Send a message via AIM to Geo5Sue Send a message via Yahoo to Geo5Sue
I dont expect an accurate answer but will ask anyway. There are two connection plates on the back wall of the stereo cabinet in the 3400RL. The bottom one is used for the radio and TV antenna signal. The top one is for the satellite/cable connection. On the top plate is two connections that seem to be connected in the wall together through a splitter. There must be a way to connect the bedroom tv to the satellite receiver in the stereo cabinet without running new cable wire. I use one LNB for direct tv and watch one tv at a time. I want to send the satellite reciever signal from the stereo cabinet bedroom tv. Is there a wiring digram of the cable wires I can look at? Has anyone tried this? Running another cable is an option but not my first if I can use the existing wiring. Why is there two connections in the stereo cabinet for the cable/satellite external connection?
Geo5Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My splitter is below the overhead shelf. The single outlet in the cabinet on the 3400 is your feed from the outside connector in the service panel. It should go to the splitter. The splitter, as I recall, then feeds the back of the short jumper wire. I don't have Hanna here at the stick house to check, but I believe one lead off of the splitter will go to the back of the small loop jumper. Either the top of the bottom will be the line to the bedroom, just use trial and error. I believe mine is the bottom one. The other leg of the splitter will go to the LR tv. Make sure the green light on the booster in the BR closet is out. There is a little black button on the booster. Only use the booster for antenna viewing.

Since I have hooked up my LR system through an automatic switcher using RGB out to the LR tv, if I am not watching the BR tv I leave the booster on. then I can use the PIP between satellite and Antenna/Cable.

Edited: Could you please tell me the model number of your Sat. receiver?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #32
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There is a diagram of the TV wiring. I think Brad posted one. I had booked one at Picture Trail but it is gone now. Hopefully someone will post it again. This time I will save the .jpg on my PC.

The good news is there is at least one, if not two, wires that run between the entertainment center and the bedroom.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #33
Geo5Sue

M.O.C. #6619
Send a message via AIM to Geo5Sue Send a message via Yahoo to Geo5Sue
Looks like I got it working just fine. Thanks for the help. I can now watch the Yankees in bed at night!
Geo5Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #34
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I just brought my 3000RK back for CW. I had a problem with the cable wires. After working on it for three days they said it was ready/fixed. After talking with the repair person I am not so sure it is fixed. (I am not able to test it our at this time as I have it back in storage.)
The repairman said it would work on cable but the sat connection has a short in it. I had told him I didn't think I would ever use the sat connection, so he didn't want to spend any more time on trying to fix it.
Question: where does the sat wire connect at the roof or where? The wire from the bedroom/booster has a dead short in it.
I think it should all be fixed properly as it is less than two months old. They thought it might have to back to factory to be able to remove ceiling or roof to get to the wires. Do you have any suggestions??
Thanks.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #35
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Geo5Sue

I dont expect an accurate answer but will ask anyway. There are two connection plates on the back wall of the stereo cabinet in the 3400RL. The bottom one is used for the radio and TV antenna signal. The top one is for the satellite/cable connection. On the top plate is two connections that seem to be connected in the wall together through a splitter. There must be a way to connect the bedroom tv to the satellite receiver in the stereo cabinet without running new cable wire. I use one LNB for direct tv and watch one tv at a time. I want to send the satellite reciever signal from the stereo cabinet bedroom tv. Is there a wiring digram of the cable wires I can look at? Has anyone tried this? Running another cable is an option but not my first if I can use the existing wiring. Why is there two connections in the stereo cabinet for the cable/satellite external connection?
I run a S-VHS cable to my TV,I than run from the receivers sat 1 to the top connection of the top plate and than run a cable from the TV out on the receiver to the bottom connector on the top plate. The plate with the single connector is vacant.
With this set up I can't watch two different channels on both sets but I can watch sat on both TV's. I am happy!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #36
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Quick question as I too am trying to get the sat working. Will a Dish network reciever work with a Direct tv antenna.

Mike
msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #37
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mike,
Not to my knowledge. Frequencies of the LNB's are different.

Edited: Friend of mine has DISH and I let him have a two year old DTV antenna and he could not get it to work. It may be different with the newer ones, but I don't think so. Some one else may have more information on this.

Double Edited: The combination of receiver and LNB have to have matching decoder frequencies as provided by the supplier. (That's a quick and dirty no it will not work)
Old 04-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #38
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
I really did'nt think so, but was worth a try. Thanks

Mike
msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #39
tstewart

M.O.C. #7007
My Dish500 dual LNB and DirecTV model 12-100 receiver work together just fine, I just completed my protable setup over the 4th of July in my backyard, waiting to use it on my next trip to the Solomon Islands in Maryland at the end of July. You just need to ensure you point to DirecTV satellites -mine were 110 and 119. The LNB's for North America use must be polarized the same regardless of the manufacturer (I think).

Here's how I made my portable setup;

Sawed off the J pipe 4" below of the the antenna clamp, keeping rest in clamp.
Bought 4' 1.25" PVC sched 40 buriable grey conduit with bulge end.
Bought rooftop antenna tripod from Radio Shack.
Set up rooftop antenna tripod in back yard.
Put PVC pipe in tripod and secured it.
Slid antenna with 4" stub into the bulge of the PVC.
Connected my reel of RG-6 to the LNB splitter on antenna.
Connected other end of RG-6 to satellite in of receiver.
Connected TV to satellite reciever.
Mimic'd antenna azimuth/elevation by looking a neighbors DirecTV antenna on his roof.
Turned on TV, channel 3, Turn on DirecTV reciever.
Followed setup procedure, entering zip code etc (which provides you satellites locations)
Used signal strength feature of satellite setup to fine tune my dish (mid/hi 90's)
Hung milk jug full of water on tripod to settle tripod more securely.
Tuned DirecTV to channel 201 (I think it was 201).
Completed setup and voila waited for picture - it said that the card wasn't configured, crud.
Called DirecTV, told them it was my 4th receiver in an RV and I was in Zip Code such and such.
DirecTV support asked me for the card ID number, I gave it to him.
He said hold on, let me remotely send your configuration to your receiver.
The recievers will lose their load if stored and not used over time was what he said.
10 seconds later it was configured remotely.
10 minutes later (after figuring out guide on the remote) I was watching MLB package and sipping a cold one.

Son's 4th paid DirecTV reciever = gratis
PVC = $4
Antenna Tripod = $36
Alternative to air/cable TV, 2009 HD OTA moratorium + MLB + NFL Package = PRICELESS

My 3600RE has Satellite Package sticker on it so I'm figuring that it will be easy to at least get both TV's on same DirecTV channel. I'll play around with Over The Air (OTA) configuration to switch between satellite and my Winegard OTA antenna (until Feb/2009 that is!).

You all have been very, very informative about this and I wouldn't have tackled this without reading about how you all have done the same. Thanks much!

Kind regards,
tom
tstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #40
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
At our stick house in NC, we have a Dish antenna and DirecTV receivers. It's a dual LNB setup. That of course is the opposite of what Mike asked. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote