Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 02:36 AM   #21
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Foam filled tires are a good alternative when then usable tread is 60% or more in an off street/highway/low speed industrial/warehouse/lumber yard application only.I work for an industrial tire distributor/retailer and we foam fill tires on a daily basis and even have some tires curing at this very moment.The idea behind foam/tyre fill is to eliminate flats and down time completely.There are 3 grades of fill depending on application and even a new light/soft fill which has just come out.Our company does it all,but it's only for low speed use only (20mph)or less non constant use is a good operating range.Most tires we fill are for forklifts or heavy equipment/scrap yards or even sizeable wheel barrow fleets of 75 or more,yes wheel barrows!!.The fill adds considerable weight to each tire/wheel assembly making it too heavy for some industrial applications due to axle/spindle fatique or sinking in soft terrain.The other way to go is what we call pneumatic shaped solid tires which looks like an air type tire but is solid rubber and extremely heavy but can wear 3 to 1 to an air tire in tread life depending on application.All these I've mentioned are for industrial low speed off highway usage only.Current pricing on tyre fill is aprox.$1.12 per pound depending on tire size,to give an example we recently filled a new 29.5 x 25 industrial front end loader tire which took over 3000 lbs.Thought I'd comment on this since I sell it daily.Going back to the Mission tires we had one come in on an industrial trailer recently that had blown out and shredded completely,what a sight remembering I have the exact tire on our Mountaineer 5ver.We have aprox.6000 miles on the Missions and have no problems to date but they are going to be replaced very soon for peace of mind.I'm considering Michelin,Goodyear and Maxxis or whatever major company makes a load range G tire when I make the switch which will include wheels spec'd to handle the increased pressure of the LR G tire.My tv has Michelin LR E and they are great so far,first Michelins I've ever had.

Philip
2007 Mountaineer 5ver
2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 quad cab.

2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:15 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I put the BFG Commercial T/A tires on our prior Montana and loved them although we traded the FW before it got a lot of miles on those tires. I haven't tried those tires on the truck. However, I'm sold on the BFG tires. On our 2005 Ford I got 70k miles out of the oem set of BFG Rugged Trail T/A and they had 5 to 10k miles left when I swapped them out for another set of the same thing. This Dodge came with the same tires, same size (LT265/70R17 LR E) and at 17k miles are wearing just as nicely as they did on the Ford. I probably should rotate them soon.

With the lower price of these BFG's compared to the Michelins I'm convinced these tires are the better deal. That's just my opinion based on my experiences, though. And, yes, I've had Michelins before. They were good tires. I did not have the problems you had when towing. I just think the BFG is the better deal for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote