Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
rware
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6849
New Monty - kitchen set-up help

We just got our first fifth wheel trailer(3075RL)and would like some suggestions on how to organize the kitchen cabinets. What kind of dishes to use (Corelle vs. pottery)? How to store them and keep them from breaking? Where do you keep pots & pans? Any tricks or suggestions on where and how to store things would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dick & Shelley

rware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also have a 3075RL. DW put some of the soft rubberized shelf liner in all shelves thruout. Dishes are unbreakable something, not sure what. Coffee cups are glass. She bought some small racks that fit in the cabinet over the sink to allow stacking dishes and saucers separately. Dishes, cups, and glasses go in that cabinet. Most of the pots and pans go over the pantry although some are in the bottom drawer. Right now they are just stacked in above the pantry. I am going to put in some kind of upper shelf in there to make it a little neater. Other stuff, breakable and non-breakable are scattered in various cabinets. And still a lot of empty space available. 5er (with Mor-Ryde) rides so smooth that nothing seems to bounce around enough to worry about breaking. Everything stays in place and no drawers or cabinets come open even after long drive.
Love ours. I think you will too.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Well I'll tell you what I've done and you can pick and choose from what others tell you also. We also have a 3075 and love it.

First off the wine glasses are in the deep single cupboard are in a wine glass holder that is screwed into the ceiling and have a small bunge to hold them from falling out.

Over the dinning table from the right as you face it, on the far right in the single cubard is where we kep the drinking glasses and coffee cups all lucite or plastic of some sort. Next in the twin cubard we have our dinner plates, salad plates, soup bowls, platters, and paper plates with the straw holders. We keep the platters at the back on their sides. All plastic.

In the cupboard above the sink area are food stuffs and liquor bottles. Most pots and pans and mixing bowls go under the sink along with the dish drainer. In the small upper cupboard to the left of the stove are the containers (tupperware or something like it) for sugar, flour, bisquick, coffee, etc.

In the drawers below, in the top are the silverware, next down are the big spoons, spatchulas etc., third drawer down has grater, can opener and the like. Bottom drawer is the one for pot holders, etc.

under the stove is cookie sheets and that kind of stuff.

under the fridge, if you don't have the side by side one, is a wooden piece held on with 4 screws. Take the screws out and put hinges on it and you have more storage space for electric frying pan etc.

In the "pantry" are more food stuffs.

We didn't think the fridge was adequate so we went to Costco and bought a 1.4 electric "dorm style fridge" and put it in the closed upstairs at the end of the closet. We have found that it will keep stuff cold and/or frozen for a day when we are on the road and don't have 110 power.

If you are like most folks you will change where you keep stuff as you go along and find a better way to do it.

We have also bu that nonskid shelf lineing stuff in all the cabinets.

Remember, the voyage is the destination!!!!!!
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
To add a couple of other ideas from our 3075RL. My DW seldom baked in our stick house and doesn't plan to start in retirement. She uses the oven to store all of the pots and pans. We also took the trash basket out of the pantry on the right. Half of that space we use for tall items and we put wire shelves into the other half. We put a smaller trash basket under the sink. The area under couch is a good spot for can goods.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sorry, not the same unit, but some kitchen hints

Corel plates, etc. For travel have a circle of that shelf stuff cut out and placed between the plates. For Bowls I found that just a strip of that stuff is enough "cush". I use the solid shelf stuff for this. I also "cush" the pots and pans, just so they don't scratch up.

I prefer to keep the heavy canned goods and stuff lower in the unit. Center of gravity applies here, heavy at the top, just don't go there. Have been doing that for years, old habits die hard??

Shelf stuff is in the bottom of every cupboard in Tana.

Lots of other good hints here.

Enjoy that new rig!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Another very happy 3075 owner here. We also removed the trash basket and put it under the sink and have the rubberized stuff on the shelves ( the DW did it ). I put hinges on the false front under the refrigerator as Capt Kidd did and we store pans there. The reason Montana doesn't hinge the door is the gas line for the refrigerator is there, just don't cram a lot of stuff in there if you change it. I added a shelf in the middle of the cabinet where the trash basket was and now store pots and pans there. In the cabinet above the pantry, I added a shelf and food is stored there. The wall cabinet to the left of the microwave is where we keep dishes. The door was hinged on the top and had to be held up, so I changed the hinges to the side, much easier to access things. Just start putting things away and see what works. You have a huge amount of storage space to choose from. Have fun
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We also have the 3075. The cabinet above the sink we keep cereal, paper towels, napkins paper cups, water filter containers, etc. above that cabinet my husband took the panel off and put a door in place, here we store excess paper products (paper towels).

Above the counter, we store oils, coffee and other frequently used food stuffs.

On the side of the cabinet above the sink we placed several spice shelfs.

Below the sink in collapsible plastic containers we store the liquor,juice misc. We also keep the trash can in the center. To the right I bought 3 18"? stackable wire shelfs from Wally world where we keep soda and some less used household cleaners/canned goods.

Under the fridge, hubby removed the 4 screws and hinged the door and here we keep the baking sheet and silicone baking pans.

The cabinet next to the fridge, top cabinet hubby installed a shelf with a pull out drawer. Here we keep toaster misc.cooking stuff and in the drawer, cookie can, flour, etc.

Cabinet below, top drawer, potatoes, onions etc. Below canned goods ranging in weight, the bottom we keep the heavier stuff.Also keep the nesting pots in one of the shelves. Hubby also installed door locks to keep the doors from swinging open on travel.

Bottom cabinet, where the trash can was he installed 2 pull out metal shelves, here we keep the tall items on the bottom and more canned goods on top.

The cabinet to the right of the dining table we keep, crackers nuts snacks. Above the table are corelle plates, paper plates, plastic glasses and nesting mixing/serving bowls on wire racks.

In all the other cabinets around the rig we keep things in fabric folding containers from Lowes, with 3x5 card with contents for each in front. These containers are used for staple goods, less used cooking stuff, books and gifts.

The cabinet to the right of the door hubby placed extra coat hooks, where we keep light jacket/rain hats,umbrella, lantern, bug spray. the shelf above we keep travel books, picnic table covers, top shelf misc. things for outside.

At this time we are considering replacing the table between the lounge chairs with a wood file cabinet for paper storage.

We also use the space behind the sofa to store our fishing rods, etc.

Instead of a washer/dryer we use this area for our dirty clothes hamper.

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I went to the "dollar store" and bought alot of kitchenware there (large plastic mixing bowls, utinsels, etc.... I also bought small plastic baskets that fit into the bathroom medicine cabinet and that keeps the items up there organized and from falling out when the door is opened.

Also bought larger baskets and put them in some of the kitchen cupboards.

And.... in the "hutch" to organize things so they don't move around so much during traveling. (basket for books, one for batteries & flashlights etc...)

Basically I have baskets in cabinets where ever I want things to stay organized and in place.
(Guess I am a bask-a-holic..)

Have fun setting up your new Montana!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sorry, this has nothing to do with the kitchen.

We found that the Sterilite #1774 clear boxes (Wally World) fit all of the cabinets in the Montana, side-to-side, on top of each other, end-to-end...they just happened to fit all the shelves, nooks and crannies, .....great for organizing. We used almost 15.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Here is a suggestion for glasses. We like real glasses and have some vintage coke glasses. Ed uses garden kneeling pads when sitting up the Monty. So I bought some new ones and cut circles out for the size of the glasses so the glass fits real tight. The kneeling pads are from 1 to 2 inches deep. All of our glasses ride beautifully. Not one has broken since we left CA, went to SD and now in NM. A lot of miles,
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote