Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Clearance between bumper and basement

Since we are on the clearance subject a couple of days ago, I just got my long bed versus my old short bed. I have 6 inch clearence between rail and cap so good there, but was wondering about clearence between bumper and basement. I haven't hooked up to try a 90 degree turn, but with the tow vehicle straight, I have 23 - 24 inches between bumper and basement. On my shortbed I had about 36 inches. Comments please.

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My longbed doesn't have a problem. With the tailgate down, I have about 6" to spare, so it sounds comparable provided that the hitch is slightly in front of the rear axles. I cannot however, turn with the tailgate down, but don't know why I would ever need to though.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I have a long bed. With truck at a slight angle, the tailgate comes close to the front storage unit in the down position. I haven't tried a more pronounced angle, but I'm sure at some point it would contact the front storage unit.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
barb and bob, you should not have any problems towing with the gate up. However, I would not attempt towing with the gate down.
They did make changes in the pin box. With my old 04 2955 I had enough clearance between the lowered tailgate and the front compartment that I could travel with the gate down and not be concerned with it hitting the Monty. With the new 3485 I barely have enough room to get myself between the gate and the Monty with the gate down.
Bill and Ann have a tool box on a tray attached to their receiver hitch and so far as I know have no problems hitting the Monty. They do have an older BS with the older pin box location. Hopefully, Bill will jump in here with a photo.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Bob
You will need to get an RV tail gate if you ever plan to hook up at any kind of an angle. Can't be much off center and still hook up with gate down.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks for the info again. I plan on replacing the tailgagte with a louvered tailgate soon. With my petite body of 6'4 and 290lbs I can just barely squeeze between downed tailgate and basement to double check my hitch connection. But the longbed sure will come in handy for the folded bikes. Thanks again.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote