Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Air Bags

We ordered Firestone Air Bags this weekend. While we know it won't change the ratings on our 2500HD truck, just like the 7000 lb axle replacement on our Big Sky couldn't be reflected in the manufacturer sticker on the side of the camper, I wonder what we might notice in the ride?

The information on the Firestone site says it will do the following.

Ride-Rite™ air helper springs will:
Level the vehicle front-to-rear & side-to-side
Adjustability 5-100 p.s.i.
Stabilize the vehicle while loaded
Maximize vehicles load carrying capacity

Mentions nothing about the ride.

Curious also as to what amount of p.s.i.s you all put in your air bags?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Patty,
Be sure to let me know what you think once the airbags are installed. I need to have them put in my truck to bring my headlights back to level--truck squats about 1.5", just enough to "blind" oncoming traffic at night.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
some observations i have noticed with mine. first i have a dodge, so this may vary to how the chevy goes. the unloaded ride is a lot stiffer especially over some of the bigger bumps especially if the air is at a higher pressure. still handles the smaller ones pretty good. loaded it changes quite a bit also. not as much of a shock on bumps and more of a floating sensation, just a few things i have noticed since i put mine on. best of luck
pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Dave will do.

Steven thank you for the reply. Dick is going to to the install himself so we will need that luck. Just kidding I am sure he will do fine.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Patty-
I've had the Firestone air bags on my truck almost three years. It was very necessary for me as I had about a 3-1/2" drop before I added them. I am quite pleased with the stability that it gives when hooked up. As mentioned above it does tend to give a stiffer ride at when the pressure is higher and the trailer is off the hitch. I keep them at the minimum of 5# when not pulling the Montana.

Unless you install the on board compressor it will take a little time to find what is right for your truck. I do not have the on board compressor and set mine at 20# before I hook up to the trailer. Keep in mind that when you set the trailer on the TV the pressure in the bags will increase due to compression to near double of the pressure before hooking up.

You're gonna like them!!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I have had them installed on my truck for over a year. I notice that unloaded at about 20 lbs., it is like haveing a sway bar ont he truck. I can't tell that it is any stiffer, as the E rated tires are stiff enough, but I love the ride.
With the camper on, anywhere between 35 to 50 lbs is great, levels out the truck well and settles down any yo yo effect over bumps. I installed them myself, and on a Cevy/GMC, it was not too hard, but will take no more than two hours and a couple of cold ones. I will transfer these over to my new chevy when I get it next year.
I did not need them to handle the pin weight or to increase the load fact, it just gave me a level of comfort to keep the springs from compressing all the way to the snubbers and provide the anti-sway benefits.
Hope it works as well for you
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
The improvement in ride and handling while towing after I had air bags installed was phenomenal. Some of the best $$ I ever spent. I do keep them at the minimum pressure when not towing. And no more sagging in the rear!(Of the truck!)
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I run 12 to 14 pounds of air with 2200# hitch weight. Before the bag were on the TV it has bottomed out and not once after the install. With that pressure and no load speed bumps will make my TV rear wheels hop. The ride was improved nearly 50%? When I start long timing better shocks are in order and 5th Airborne hitch should improve that number? With out a load on the truck I let all the air out of the bags and still do not gain back all the ride with out the air bags installed. NOTE you are supposed to run 5# of air in the bags!!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
the secret to the airbags is to drop the oressure down when you are not towing, it will makw for a much better ride. And I've had mine on since july 2003 right after I hooked up the Montana and decided that the rear of the truck had dropped a good 3 to 4 inches, I also installed mine and they were not to bad, Did you get the compressor or will you have to air them up each time. Good luck Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I've had the same bags on my truck since 1995. Although they recommend no less than 5 lbs. when not loaded I let ALL the air out, and set them at 20-24 lbs. before hooking up.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had air bags on our previous truck (Chevy) for over 8 years.We towed a TT with a heavy bumper weight and had to have the airbags to level the truck with camper attached. Kept them at 15 PSI unloaded and 50 PSI with camper attached.At 50 psi unloaded it was a very rough ride and the truck was jacked up in the back..looked cool but was very unsafe. We tried stiffer shocks, we tried air shocks..the air bags were far better.They are still on the truck and still pulling a camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, Any input on how concrete highway hop changes? I have a real problem when I get on short slab highways running 60-65mph. I end up having to let off the gas and run speed down to 50mph...sometimes having to modulate speed up/down to disrupt the osolations. Makes me nuts!!!

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe that air bags - I have Air Lift and on board compressor - with an air hitch or air pin is the best combination to for a comfortable ride while towing...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Have had the air bags on for 3 months and love them.I put 10 psi of air in and after the monty is hooked up it reads 24 psi.At 50 lbs of weight for 1 psi, the 24 psi will support 1200 lbs of weight. This still leaves enough weight for the truck springs to work. Also lets the truck and trailer ride level. Empty I keep them at 4 psi and the ride is good.

Bill

1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #15
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
I have Airlift bags, which I believe are the same as the Firestones. I run 5 psi unloaded and I don't believe the ride is any different than before I installed them. This topic has been discussed on other forums. Usually, about 50 percent say the unloaded ride is stiffer and half say no change. I guess it would be easier to detect if you could compare before and after side-by-side. Everybody agrees the loaded ride is better.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ken, I would agree with your assessment.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
This is our 2nd Ford with Firestones. Both had onboard compressor ( a must have in my opinion). I run at 5lbs unloaded and the ride is a little "stiffer" not really harder. I set it at 30 lbs before hooking up and with Monty on the guage shows about 50-55 lbs. The ride is 100% smoother than with no bags. Stuff used to shift around and fall down in cabinets, etc. but not any more. You can watch the guage bounce around from 50-100 lbs as you drive down the highway. It is really the best money we have spent on any after market item by far. They will not only save your RV, but also your truck ( and your fillings and kidneys) BR
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 AM   #18
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
[quote]Originally posted by noneck

Hmmm, Any input on how concrete highway hop changes? I have a real problem when I get on short slab highways running 60-65mph. I end up having to let off the gas and run speed down to 50mph...sometimes having to modulate speed up/down to disrupt the osolations. Makes me nuts!!!

It helped mine. We have a stretch of highway like I have never felt before, thought it was indigenous to our area only and the bags helped the Hop.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Never had any hop problem. I assume you are talking about suspension "bounce" when the shock/spring combo cannot recover from repetitve inputs. Sort of the "wash board" effect. Air bags will definitely eliminate this. Air has no memory or recovery time like the oil/orifice combo in your shocks. Prepare for a very smooth ride. BR
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #20
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Had them on the 2004 Duramax 3/4 HD. Loved them, took them down to 5lbs when not towing and the ride was great. During towing I put 45lbs in them and the towing difference was incredible. The bouncing that it would do on concrete road was minimized. Side to side stability was much better.
I would always make sure the air was out of the bags when not towing, because if I left the air in, the rear end would hop all over the place on speed bumps.
I hhaven't put them on "BB" yet, but am going to even though I don't really need them, it being a one ton dually. I do still experience the hopping on concrete roads, and feel this will help. Kind of like a set of "snubbers" back there
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote