Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Pros and cons of ladder mount bike rack?

Does anyone have a ladder mount bike rack for two bikes? Do they damage the rv or the ladder? Please let me know your experiences thank you.

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I got a real good one..it is for sale. I can give no pro's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
richfaa, What brand is the one for sale?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Traveltunes -

It's a risky business. Although the ladders can support a person, they don't do too well with racks mounted to them. The continuous bounce while travelling breaks the mounts or pulls the screws out of the fiberglass. Several sad stories here, including ruined ladder, bad damage to the rear clip, and even broken windows as it all starts coming apart.

Not saying it can't be done, but the ladders not very strong. Alternatives galore - receiver hitch on the rear of the Monty, TV roof rack, even front rack for your truck. If your Big Sky is anything like our 3400 hookup, I would rule out those that mount to the front pin box (no clearance).

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Charles Wade, District Sales Manager of Keystone was at the Buelleton rally. Someone brought up putting things on the ladder of Montanas - his advice - don't do it - not bike racks, not chairs, not step ladders - nothing. They are not made for that - I believe some folks have had the ladder rungs break and screws pull out.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, spoke with Charles while he was here in Alaska, He suggested a receiver mount to the back of the Monty, welded in place using angle iron conneced to side rails and coming to a V at the rear, then a receiver hitch installed. He stated you should not try to haul anything greater than 200 lbs and it would not affect the warranty. I called Lippert and they said essentially the same thing.....However, I, am personally leaning toward the front mount for the TV. Drawtite makes a unit that bolts unto the tow hook mounts in front.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
3 words "DON'T DO IT"

Last summer I had my bike mounted on my ladder. Prior to putting the ladder rack on I made sure all ladder mounting bolts were good and tight. After just 4 months on the road I found the top 2 bolts had nearly pulled completely out and all the rest were loose. I have since come up with a rear ladder rack that cost me under $100 dollars. There is no welding and I only drilled 2 holes in the frame. All the materials necessary can be bought at Lowes.

You can see the rack here....http://www.geocities.com/montanaowners/bikerack2.html
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All these positive comments do not make it easy for me to sell my excellent ladder bike rack. There are multitudes on RV's on the road with Ladder bike racks not reporting any problems at all. The few problems reported are insignificant considering the numbers of RV's using them and Isolated incidents when looking at the big picture. ( Hey if it works for valve stems why not ladder bike racks) Mine is the C.W model and you really do not wnat to hang it on your ladder.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
cindik
Established Member

M.O.C. #4457
We were on a trip to the Keys last year, and had 2 bikes mounted on the ladder bike rack. Pulled into a cg in Miami, and hubby noticed something swinging in the mirror. Upon inspection the ladder had pulled completely off the camper. The only thing holding the ladder on was the screws on top. The bikes were swinging in the wind. Thank goodness, we pulled over when we did. Otherwise, we would have had bikes all over the interstate. The ladders just are not strong enough, and we were only carrying two children's bikes. We had used the rack several times with no problems. I assume over time the screws just eventually gave way. So, no, do not put your bikes on the ladder.
cindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This is not a direct response to anything in this thread, but just an additional observation.

We stopped by the RV Connections lot #2 in Panama City this morning. I'll reserve comments on the Montanas and the Mountaineers for another thread, but one thing we were shown was the "pull out" carrier on the rear bumper of the Mountaineer. We were very favorable impressed. It surely would solve the "bike problem" in a fine way. When not in use, it slides easily back to the "normal position" at the rear of the coach.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

This is not a direct response to anything in this thread, but just an additional observation.

We stopped by the RV Connections lot #2 in Panama City this morning. I'll reserve comments on the Montanas and the Mountaineers for another thread, but one thing we were shown was the "pull out" carrier on the rear bumper of the Mountaineer. We were very favorable impressed. It surely would solve the "bike problem" in a fine way. When not in use, it slides easily back to the "normal position" at the rear of the coach.
I have always wondered why the Mountaineer comes with a bike rack, and the more expensive Montana does not.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Been there, done that, had problems. Made a reciever hitch for the hitch pin. Long bed truck, for me this was the way to go.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I talked to keystone and they sugested the slide mount that the bumper slides out but that weighs way toooo much so craig told me how to do it almost like OZZ did 2 2x2 lite wt sq iron bolted to the frame and then weld a receive to it works great and only weighs 21 lbs

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Thanks everyone for your advise. I probably won't take any chances on the ladder. I'll look into making my own like some of you have done.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Traveltunes,
I have a Mountaineer also and it has the bike rack built into the slide out bumper. Is there a reason why you don't want to use it? I have not used mine yet but have not heard of a reason not to.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Well as usual I find myself disagreeing. I have hauled my Montana approximately 75,000 miles in the last 5 years and bikes have been on the ladder for most of it. I have had no-zero-nada problems. It is important that the bikes be correctly installed and that they be tight.

I have seen a lot of bikes on racks on S.O.Bs that were not properly balanced and were flopping all around. Those units almost definitely will have problems.

Having said all that, I don't really like the ladder rack and I am looking into a receiver type hitch
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
While I don't recommend anything attached to the ladder, I do have my blue tote cart attached to my ladder with no problems. I've traveled across the U.S. east to west round trip seven times now and everything has been okay. But again, I don't recommend it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We have traveled over 45,000 miles with two street bikes hanging from the ladder. The aluminum bolts that mount the ladder to the supports, two of them did shear but I replaced all bolts with CRES equivalents, tightened all mounting screws, etc. I also use ratching straps to make sute the bikes are very tightly secured. NO problems since.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote