Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
DianS

M.O.C. #7037
Female Drivers?

Are there any women RVing with their Montana. My husband has cancer and we are trying to decide to keep our Montana or to buy a motorhome. My husband says I can tow it but I would like to hear from other women who currently tow their Montana. We have looked at motorhomes and I can drive them but I don't like the idea a towing a car or being without a car. WE love to camp and I am not ready to give it up.

Dian
2955RL

DianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I am sorry to hear about what you're experiencing. I'm male, but am also a cancer survivor. I can empathize with what you're going through.
My wife and I talked about this subject when I was diagnosed and we decided to "go for it" no matter what. Fortunately, I seem to have won the battle so far, so we can share the driving.
My wife is an excellent driver but has never driven anything nearly as large as a Montana. She said she would just take her time, practice a lot in a large parking area and figure out how to handle it.
It seems it's more attitude and adaptability than anything else. If you are in the normal range in most aspects (height, eyesight, etc.) you should be able to do it.
I know there are woman drivers on here who will respond, but that's my 2 cents worth from an observer's viewpoint.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
DianS

M.O.C. #7037
What type of cancer did you have? My husband was diagnosed with esophageal in Jan.
DianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Karen does an exellent job of pulling our MOnty. She hasn't graduated to backing it into a space yet, but she loves to pull.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We have been RVing for years. My wife pulled the popup. When we moved up to a 32' TT, she never felt comfortable pulling. Since moving up to the Montana, she is back behind the wheel. She does a great job. Her parents, also RVers, also have a 5th wheel that her my mother-in-law pulls. I think she pulls more miles than my father-in-law these days...
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Speaking for my wife here. She does about one third of our driving...sometimes close to a half if it's a short trip. She can't back up well and I think that's because she doesn't. I've done all the backing. If she backed it up as much as I did, she'd be as good as me. I'm not that great, by the way...just good enough most the time.

Starting out, when I first got the Montana it overwhelmed my wife Cathy. She almost refused to drive it. So as we were coming from a rest stop in New Hampshire I threw the keys to her and told her it was her turn. I won't repeat what she said. Then, wouldn't ya know it, the sky opened up and it poured. Then we hit a toll booth. Again, I won't repeat what she said. But she drove the rig and now she is not nervous. Practice makes perfect. Just remember, when the pressure is on, slow down. Don't react quickly as you will be more likely to make a mistake.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen drives the Camper everywhere, anyplace, anytime, under any conditions. She can back it, park it,hook it ,unhook it, Change a tire , change propane tanks, fuel the TV.. She can shoehorn the rig anywhere anyone on this forum can. There is nothing she can't do and that is how it should be.Don't let driving the rig bother you one bit Dian and don't let anyone suggest you can not do it.Keep on camping..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
So sorry to hear about your husbands cancer - prayers there. But keep on camping and you can drive the rig. I drive ours and have learned to do everything but unlike Helen, I don't back (yet)!

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Sorry to hear about your husbands illness. I have wondered what I would do if I had to do it alone. It's the hooking up and outside stuff that scares me more than driving. I do need to know it all in case we are out there somewhere and something should happen. I usually give Don a break about an hour after lunch, if we have a long day, or if he is just tired. I haven't had to back up yet to park, just to fit in better. I have driven in some wind, and many mountains. The trick there is to let the truck do the work and to know when to take it out of overdrive. Also, how to use the exhaust brake and gear down when slowing down. All things your PATIENT husband can teach you. Usually Don will settle into a nice deep sleep and I hit ROAD CONTRUCTION and have to drive between the barracades! You can do it. Good luck to you both. We'll watch for your posts to see how you're doing. I don't think we have ever been in campground yet where there isn't someone eager to help. Judy
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dian, there is no reason in the world why you could not do it if you want to. I think that's the key.

If you'd like to correspond with someone who has towed a Montana for a significant time, by herself.... Click on the Members link at the top of this page. Search on "Gypsy". Then click on her userid to go to her profile. There you'll find a "click to email Gypsy" link. Her name is Sharon and she is a very nice person. We and many here have met her personally. I am sure she would be happy to discuss the experience with you. Sharon recently announced she is going to sell her Montana and buy a Class A motorhome but she still has a lot of experience towing Montanas.

I think you also know your "Montana family" here at MOC will be here to help you should you need it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's condition. I am a single female who does everything with the Montana I own, because it's just me, myself and I. So, anything you can think of I do it I'm full-timing in mine, and plan to head out in May to Arizona and on the way stop through Branson, MO to the Rally. Prior to having my Montana, I had a 5th Wheel I used for camping on the weekends, and of course it was just me then also. Just remember one thing, the only main difference between a male and female (generally) is a man is usually stronger than a woman, and it doesn't take strength to pull, operate of tinker with an RV of any type. You can do it! You can PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck to you and stick in there.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Being a single guy, I cannot answer your question. I will say; you can do it! Time, practice and patience is all it takes. I also wanted to 2nd Steve's comment, "I think you also know your "Montana family" here at MOC will be here to help you should you need it." Just give a yell and I am sure one of us will be in that specific area who is more than willing to come help.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I can say that this is the easiest trailer I have ever pulled. I have to keep looking in the rear view mirror to make sure it is still there. I can do it all as many of the women on this forum can. I thought that my driving was over till Paul started having TIA's. I knew I couldn't let him drive anymore. So I took over again. I love it. I feel completely in control which I like. Don't think you can't do it because you can. Yes it is big, Yes it is intimidating but just put your mind to it and you will be able to do it. So sorry to hear about your husband. I will keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Happy RVing. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #14
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
So sorry to hear about your husband. We understand and want you to know that you both will be prayed for. Skooboo proves that "you can do it" but the question is do you really want to. I think that is your major question. Once you answer that, just remember that about 95% of the time, there is at least one member active on this 3000+ member forum and you can get information pretty quickly if you need it. Hope you feel the support you have here.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dian -

Best of luck for your husband's full recovery. Terrie tows our Montana when I ask her. It is not her favorite thing to do - she would rather read while I drive. But as others have said, its more a matter of "want to" than anything else. The Montana is relatively easy to tow, and as stated elsewhere, you have to look to see if its back there sometimes. Just take your time and get used to it. Drive at your pace and learn at the rate comfortable to you. If there are aspects you don't feel comfortable with, such as backing into a spot, find a spot with a pull thru or have someone else park it for you. Remember, we do it because its fun. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #16
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Hi Diane

All of these replys should give you much encouragement. I am impressed with all you women drivers. When we get our new rig I think I will learn to drive it, because like you say you never know when you will have to take over and drive.

As far as your husband's esophageal cancer, my husband had this type of cancer also. It was in the area where the esophagus attaches to the stomach. He had surgery to remove the cancer. That cancer never returned. He did die a few years later of cancer, but it was a different type. If you have more questions you can email me or PM me. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #17
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Don't let the rig intemidate you, it is easy to tow. We had a motorhome and towed our SUV, I did not like that at all, too much sway. You will never know the Montana is behind you unless you look. I've driven through a hurricane with any problems. Take it to a big parking lot and practice backing you'll get the hang of it in no time.
I too am a cancer survivor, I will keep you in my prayers as well. Learn everything you can about your vehicle. We are firm believers that both need to know.

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
I'm sorry to her about your husband.I pull our Montana all the time, my husband likes to look at the scenery. I've pulled it to Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada and California. We have a 2950RK which is 32' yours is probably bigger but you shouldn't have any trouble. I can also unhook, hookup and just about anything anyone else can. So don't be afraid keep the rig and enjoy your life.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #19
earlnfran
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #418
Dian
So sorry to hear about your husband's illness. Hopfully this is only a bump in the road for your family.

When we got our 2001 Montana 2880, my husband and I decided that we would take Dick Reed's RV driving school course. www.rvschool.com
We had had two tent trailers and a travel trailer prior to getting our 5th wheel, so were not entirely new to RVing, however, this was much bigger and pivoted differently, etc., so we wanted to learn. The course was a two day learning experience in which we each drove an equal amount of time, with the instructor at our side, learning the nuances of residential, city, country,
freeway and mountain driving as well as backing and parking, even hitching, unhitching and hooking up to the campsite. This course was taught by a retired big rig truck driver who was full of tips for things we had not even thought of even though we had about 30 years of experience under our belts. The course was a little expensive, but we thought we got more than our money's worth from it. Earl still does most of the backing with me directing (we even learned the proper way to guide the driver when backing), but I do my share of towing when we are on longer trips. We also believe that it is important for the co-pilot to be able to take over should the need arise. We felt and feel much more confident after completing this course.

Good luck and, as everyone has been saying, you can do it, it just takes a little practice.

Fran
earlnfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #20
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
We're so sorry about your husband's cancer. You touched a chord Dian that got us to thinking as well - can WE still follow our dreams if one of us gets sick to the point where the tasks of an RV lifestyle is no longer a team effort? A few summers ago our camping adventures almost ended because the light of my life Brenda had two strokes and we feared the worst. Turns out when I took her out to our favorite lake a few weeks after the strokes she started to lose her paralysis and today we're at a KOA enjoying a walk with our Beagle.

Brenda's strokes drove us to make our retirement dreams happen sooner than we planned because we were determined to enjoy our time together to the fullest. Now, as the man, I do the outside hook-up chores and drive; my lovely wife Brenda does the interior decorating when we get to a campsite, but after reading your note we decided that one person can do it all. Starting on our trip home this weekend I think she'll do some driving and we'll learn some packing up chores together - after all, I should know where she stores the knick-knacks and she needs to bump her head on an extended bedroom slide.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote