Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
To Trade or Not To Trade?

Ok ol' timers. What is the best way to go about it. Should I just suck it up and take the loss on my less than a year old Travel Trailer and trade it for a new 5th wheel...or just hold off and try to sell my unit for a couple of months. I had a dealer from Michigan give me a really really good price for a new 3000RK which is what I want to trade up to. I love my 330RKBS but want the 5th wheel.
What to do?
Thanks
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I kept my options open. Made the deal on the 3400 and got two prices. One was cash, no trade. The other was with trade. The plan was to see if I could sell the TT before the 5th wheel arrived...if I could, fine, if not, I'd bite the bullet and go the trade route. I managed to sell the TT on eBay, so I took the cash deal and did not have to get screwed with a trade...our TT sounds like yours, we had used it twice for a total of four nights.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks for the idea Bert!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
depending on how your state does sales taxes you may have to come up with a chunk of money for taxes on the full purchase price of a new unit vs only paying taxes on the difference. I know one dealer told me if I sold it to run it threw them and they would write it up so I didn't have to pay taxes on the entire purchase price of the new one.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Okie Guy, we did the same as Cat320 except we never got the first call on our 2 year old 3255. We were very satisfied with the trade deal and when I thought about the taxes, I think we came close to even trade/sell. As a note, the dealer didn't have to clean our trade and sold it in 2 days, go figure!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Okie, I think you have gotten some good advise on trading so far, and I can't really add to it. I will say the unit you are wanting to trade for is most excellent. We really like ours, it fit's us well, the price was right, have had very few problems, and it pulls great.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We tried to sell ours and after some time only lookers, traded, was happy with the trade, didnt think about the full tax vers. the difference so that makes it a little easer to take.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You only go around once...If you can afford to do it..do it.It is always better to sell outright, we were fortunate enough to do that with our TT when we got our 3400.Even when you sell out right you can only sell for what the market will bear in you area. I think CAT320's advise is sound.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fordzilla

depending on how your state does sales taxes you may have to come up with a chunk of money for taxes on the full purchase price of a new unit vs only paying taxes on the difference. I know one dealer told me if I sold it to run it threw them and they would write it up so I didn't have to pay taxes on the entire purchase price of the new one.
Good point.

Even in our backward state, we only pay tax on the difference between new veh price and value of trade/sale...private or dealer, no difference.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks for all the response! I have decided I can go to the RV show this weekend and haggle. There is an ice storm on the way to Oklahoma City and people will not want to be out on the ice this weekend. I can haggle for a while and if he makes an offer I like I will take it. If he makes an undesirable offer I can walk out and laugh at him. I have already talked to a dealer in Michigan who can get me a new one for just $34,000.