Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Changes in the new Montanas

Just got off the phone with our dealer. He called to tell me that our trailer is not in yet, however, he received one in for someone else and it has the new changes in it. He wanted me to know ahead of time and invited me to come look at the changes as the new owners won't be picking theirs up until Nov. 1st. He said he didn't want there to be any surprises when we walked into ours and just wanted to give us the opportunity to look at the changes ahead of time. Those changes are: Different wood color...a little darker, different vinyl in the kitchen, different colored countertops, no more wood panel refrigerator (grrrrrrrr)and a few other items which he didn't have listed and hadn't seen yet. So, for those of us who are waiting...these are the changes which will be in the new campers.

CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It's just me - but I would not accept the fridge door! Dory and I were just looking at new ones at the Dealer and they all had wood doors. We also looked at other brands, and even the lower end units have wood doors. I think it will hurt resale and is not what you saw when you ordered. The everest, also a Keystone product, has a wood door. If they are having a problem getting the wood panels in the right color - I would ask for an IOU when they do get it to match, as I'm sure they will eventually. Too much competition.

Just my two cents - and I don't mean to damper your excitement. It would be a sale breaker for me. (we are looking pretty serious)

By the way - what did the countertop color change to?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
The wood doors on the fridge was a plus for me too. My old camper had those black inserts that you have to wipe all the time with windex to keep finger prints from showing. I think I can live without those black inserts. I've also notice a lot of trailers have the stainless steel doors too, which would be a "little" better in not showing the smudges and finger prints.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The new darker wood color in the coach is a big plus in my opinion. The reason for the new black fridge cover is because of the new darker wood. At first I did not like it, but after looking at it for awhile, it grew on me. You will need to wipe them off to keep them clean. I thought the new counter tops were nice, but I would still like to see no spill edges on them. New vinyl in the kitchen was a tad dark for me, but just my opinion. I think you will like the new changes to the Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Brad-I haven't seen the counter tops yet, but will try to get by to look at them before the first of the month when that unit goes out the door. The dealer said they are a little lighter in color than what they had before. Craig, who installs custom cabinets and countertops, said the lighter color top will go better with the darker cabinets. I have a very dark cabinet now...almost a mahogany color and a light colored top with wood trim edgeing. I think everything will be fine, but I am totally bummed out about the fridge. The last two I've had had the wood fronts and the two or three before had the black fronts. They are difficult to clean I agree. I can't understand why they went "backwards" IMO. The better units always have wood fronts. Unfortunately, you'll see in another 6 or 7 months they'll be putting the wood fronts back in and there we'll be with the black fronts. I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do as it very clearly states they can make changes in the model. I don't know if they can switch out a fridge or not?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Reasoning we heard at the plant for the new black frig door was that they could not get the wood stained to match the new coloring in the cabinetry. What cha hear and what is so, don't always go hand in hand, but that was the rumor we heard.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Carol-yes, that is exactly what the dealer told us today too. Doesn't sound quite right to me. Can't figure out why they couldn't get the stain to match the cabinets? I wonder if they use different wood or maybe it's not really wood but a composite of some sort? Does anyone know?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Craig & Cheryl, I tend to agree on the black fridge. Every appliance in our stick house is black, and it really looks nice when all the fingerprints are off, but the rest of the time, they don't look so good. One of the things we really like about the Montana is the effort it DOESN'T take to keep clean. You may not get the fridge door changed, but I would really really try.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The "can't get the stain to match" sounds like a feeble excuse to me. Maybe Keystome should ask one of the other Rv manufactures in the area how they do it?? I would be a bit upset if I ordered one thing and got something else..in fact would be a lot upset. Suppose you ordered a certain color interior in a shinny new truck and when you got it it was a entirely different color..would you be a happy camper??? To make changes after you have placed your order and not let the customer know sounds like a lack of consideration toward the customer..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
While there can be some surprises on your coach when it comes in, I would sure like to think that the changes Keystone makes is "USUALLY" for the better.

Keystone is not the only RV company that makes changes instantly on the line. Many do not wait for a model year or half model year change up. If they like the change, it is done instantly...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am with Rich, If a person orders one thing and gets another I think they should have the option of reconsidering their order, just like Keystone Montana reserve's the right to change things on production line. I for one think they are making a mistake going to darker colors. In close quarters the darker colors are going to close in on you very quickly... I am just thinking about a week ago when we had two cold lousy rainy days in an Arkansas state park, and again just my TCW.
Safe Travels to all John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Craig,

If - and I say if - Keystone came up with the right wood panel, it's not a changeout of the fridge. Its just an insert into the door trim. You could do it yourself easily.

Brad
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
This might possibly be the darker wood and lighter counter:

http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopm...productid=1000
Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I for one DO NOT like the frig door in anything but a matching wood and I for one WILL NOT settle for anything but a frig door with a matching wood finish PERIOD. If Keystone insists on this change for the WORSE I may have to rethink my options and look at other manufacturers. If they can't match the NEW wood look than I strongly suggest they go back to the OLD wood look throughout and forget the new look until such time as their vendors can get their "_ _ _ _" together. It seems to me that Keystone's suppliers are dictating to Keystone what they will or will not be getting, case in point the lack of different colors for the carpeting and now "they can't match the finish". Give me a break any good stain manufacturer can match any finish, it ain't that big a deal. I would hate to think that something as silly as this could cause me to be looking at SOB. I plan on my next rig lasting me for many many years and therefore I'll be darned if I'm gonna spend that kind of money for something I will not be satisfied with.

Sorry Brad but "If - and I say if - Keystone came up with the right wood panel, it's not a changeout of the fridge. Its just an insert into the door trim. You could do it yourself easily". This in my book is a very poor option. Everyday we read on this forum where a new owner has had to correct a manufacturing screw up. Whether it is tightning a screw or replacing a washer or fixing shower drain leak it is just too much. It is about time these manufacturers remember just who is paying the bill and at the same time keeping them in business and in Montana's case keeping them #1 in sales.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #15
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Brad-Thanks for taking the time to put that link up. I bet you are absolutely correct. It looked like the fridge was black also. The wood is a bit darker and the counter tops lighter...which I'm ok with. That doesn't really bother me. It's just that darn refrigerator! I am going to contact the dealer and see what...if anything...can be done about it. My guess is nothing and I'm pretty sure they would be more than happy to keep my deposit and sell my camper to another person if I decide I don't want it. Does anyone know or had experience with trying to get something changed once Keystone has made THEIR changes on the line? I am pretty doubtful I have any recourse as it is stated in the contract Keystone has the right to modify and make changes at any time. Does that mean I can make a change...like change my mind I don't want it?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:13 AM   #16
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Glenn-Craig rolled his eyes last night when I told him about the "stain matching" line of bull Keystone is trying to pull. He makes cabinets and installs them and countertops for a living, and anyone who works in this industry knows that they can't match stain is total #@&*. I think Keystone has told the dealers to feed everyone this line and let's keep our stories straight. I totally feel cheated about this whole thing. So, my question is, the raised wood door is an upgrade in their "Value" package...what do I get for them taking it away? I say NOTHING. Doesn't seem quite right now does it? I may make a special trip to the dealer today to look at that other unit and then complain to the owner while I'm there. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Craig and Cheryl -

It would be a sale breaker for me and I'd be looking at other options, but that's just me! There are plenty of 07 models out there on the lots with wood doors and I'd put the Dealer to work finding one,

or

I am assuming the wood doors will show up on the new models in about 5-6 months (especially with the new upscale line being introduced). I would definately insist on an IOU from keystone that if wood doors show up within the next few years, you get a new one installed as part of the contract.

We were very close to replacing ours last week - but I know about the color change and that's what we would get. Keystone lost a sale this year anyway and we will not be looking at Montana until they get the issue resolved.

Brad

Glenn - Love the new acronym (SOB)
Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #18
jkbeaudin
Established Member

M.O.C. #6399
I understand 100% that someone would be upset based on ordering a new 3400 and then having changes made to it without their approval. Especially something as apparent as the wood finish doors. And I would be just as upset.

However our case is a little different, we bought the floor model 3400 at a recent RV show in Toronto. And therefore we get what was ordered and what we could see. It was very nicely loaded (that's good) but like other 3400's in 2007 it has the black frig doors. I come to accept them as they are for several reasons:

1st - there is so much wood already nearby what with the floor to ceiling pantry and above below the frig and over to the stove - the black doored frig helps to break up the area.
2nd - just like home but different colour, the frig matches the stove , microwave and stove fan.
3rd - Getting a wood covered frig has become a cliche in the RV industry and now even some of the cheapest lightest Travel Trailers have wood doors on their frigs. It used to be only the top of the line got this option.

These comments are not to take away from any who have or love their wood covered frigs - I am saying that the wood doors are not the only way to meassure an RV being of high quality.

But again - I too would be upset when the brochure says I get wood doored frig and then it shows up without them!
jkbeaudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a very personal observation: I have been buying automobiles since 1951 and I have only 'ordered' one vehicle--the Chevrolet pick up I am now driving as my tow vehicle. At the time we bought it there were very few diesel/Allison pickups and none at the price we got from a very good friend who is a dealer. We were also trading in a gasoline Chevrolet purchased from the same dealer. Point it: that is the only vehicle I have ever ordered, so that establishes what I am about to say.

We purchased our Montana right off the lot in Panama City, Florida. Some things we might have changed [only one I can think of right now is that we might have preferred a free standing table and chairs instead of the booth we have], but we saw exactly what we were buying and we have been very pleased. So pleased, in fact, that we prefer it to any of the more recent Montana models we have looked at. The change in the bedroom/bathroom arrangement and the loss of the sliding doors has certainly been a major reason we have not traded in or traded up.

I'm sure there are many advantages to buying a Montana on "order", I am simply pointing out the one advantage of finding what you want on the lot--or as near what you want as you can find! Even if you have to find it 500 miles away from home.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I would be disappointed in not receiving the wood panel fridge. Our friend has the black panel and I do not like it. Hope Keystone gets the wood panel for you!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote