Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Rear kitchen??

For those of you with trailers with rear kitchens, is there a big problem with things being tossed around as you travel. We liked the rear kitchen but were afraid of this possability. What is some of your experiencies?????

WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
WACOT, has been discussed a LOT here at MOC, do a search, be sure to open up that time frame and then go to the All Forums page and take a look at the right side of the page for the yellow button called Archives.

I wrote something about this not long ago (in the last week???), we have had some jumping, much worse before, better now, after installation of a air pin, that is our take on it anyway. Never have broken a dish tho!

That said, Steve and Vicki R, full time in theirs, have had little problems with bouncing kitchen and have no air hitch or pin to my knowledge.

Would I let the bouncing keep me from the floor plan I want :::::: NO NO NO NO NO NO, (did I say NOPE!?!?!?) You just make adjustments in how you pack and such.

Others will happen along with their take on this.

I think the overall concensus is to get the floor plan that talks to ya, screams at cha, makes ya feel happy to stand there, and that fits your life style. After that, have fun and make those adjustments.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Carol is correct that you should go with the floor plan that best suits your needs and that you like. That said, we do not full time, but have had our 3295RK since March 2005 and have experienced no noticeable problems with items bouncing around. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing to worry about here.

As a disclaimer, though, I will say that we have nothing that is not plastic or paper except two coffee mugs I use for hot tea when camping and they travel fine in one of the drawers where we have the kitchen towels.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
J.D.

I too have a couple of ceramic coffee mugs, but I put em in the cupboards above the sink area. I also have Corel plates and stuff, use some of that foamy cupboard liner between each plate or bowl. NO PROBLEMS!!

I had stuff move in the cupboards above the sink, and I had that large bottle of Dawn bounce OUT of the deep kitchen sink. That has all diminished considerably since the air pin.

but, I repeat: I think the overall concensus is to get the floor plan that talks to ya, screams at cha, makes ya feel happy to stand there, and that fits your life style. After that, have fun and make those adjustments.

Carol
Old 07-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Christa and I have a 3650RK 2005, and have traveled some of the worst highways in Minnesota we have ever ran into in the 64 years I have been around. Nothing was broken in the Kitchen. and we have corelle glass dishes and cups... WIne bottles etc. NO PROBLEM's. Christa does some lite packing between some of the stuff though. I was set for a 3400 until we walked into this 3650RK. My girl loved the Kitchen and that was that. I am happy. with our choice. And I think we have a lot more cabinet and storage in this unit. Carol and Al are correct. Don't worry about the fabled stories of rear kitchens and broken items. Pick your floor plan out and go for it, you will not be sorry.

safe travels John H (akaHermlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've had both. Lost half of our dishes until we learned to move them to another cupboard (Corel does break - no splinters). We choose the 3400 not because it wasn't a rear kitchen but because we liked the idea of not walking into the living room. Up until a few minutes before we signed on the dotted line, we were buying a 3295 because we had seen this plan from the very beginning. You buy the unit that calls your name the minute you walk into it and then make whatever adjustments you need. We use the no-slip stuff and Velcro close all the cabinets.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
We have the 3000RK and have been over some rough roads and haven't had a problem. One bowl did get broke coming through Knoxville, TN but that was my own fault by the way I put them in the cabinet. Every once in awhile, something will tip over, but no big deal. Don't let that be a reason to not get what you want.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
there seems to be a pattern here plastic and unbrakable, just makes sense got to carry anything brakable unless you pack it properly, We have had cups a dishes move around in the cupboards you just have to be carefull the first time you open up the doors because chanses are something is ready to fall. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
WACOT,
We have enjoyed both but our preference is for the RK. We never had a problem that sensible care would not take care of.
As mentioned previously, go with the one that grabs you.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
glenwynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4324
We fulltime and have the 3650RK, never stay more than two weeks in one place and have glass dishes and glasses a magnetite knife holder on the back wall next to the window.
In the eight months that we have been on the road we had one bowl break no knifes have fell and the cupboard door have never open when travling. We love the 3650RK if you like the floor plan go for it

Glen
glenwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #11
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Love my rear kitchen And the counter top is great with all that room. No breakage problem, have wine glasses and mugs, they don't move with the rubber liner. Other than that everything else is correl ware, or paper plates. We also like the idea that the mobile condo as we call it, is sectioned off kitchen & dining area as one and living room w/ fireplace another. I suppose the Trail Air helps.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Polaris Family
Established Member

M.O.C. #1655
I love my rear kitchen. I ENJOY cooking and have a full set of "real" dishes, several additional coffee mugs, wine glasses, etc. I pack them so that nothing top-heavy can fall over and I have a non-skid pad underneath, but other than that no fancy packing. John always looks as far ahead as possible down the road and is a very cautious driver and I think that helps at least as much as the placement of the kitchen and dishes.
Polaris Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
We have a 3295 and broke corel dishes crossing MN between Austin and WI on the Interstate, (I-90 I think).

BUT - we found a solution when we moved early this year, Bought a "dish packing" set at U haul. It has foam jackets for dinner plates, cups etc. and only set us back about $11.00. Now all the dishes ride in foam comfort!

Like previous posters, get what you like, there is always a work around for the little things and most of them are right here on the MOC
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John and Betsy

That is ONE nasty piece of road. It is bad west of Austin too, for some miles, as I remember. OH, yea, that one takes a place in the annals of horrid roads, like IO 94 near Battle Creek Mi, I 10 in Mississippi and Louisiana and I 20 around Shreveport.

Hey, Monitors, how bout a new section for us to list the bad roads?? Or have you already thought of that one??

Cheers,

Carol
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
50k miles on this rear kitchen 3295RK and we have broken two dishes. The first one was before we learned to put a small piece of nonskid shelf liner between glass mixing bowls and glass measuring cups. The second was a couple of weeks ago when this *$#@%^ guy moved in my direction as I was making a turn onto a street from a 55mph highway and I had to cut my turn short and ran both tires on the curb side up and over a curb and then down the other side at around 30 mph. The air was a bit blue. Anyhow, nothing broke because of that but when we stopped and opened the island overhead cabinet a Corel soup bowl fell out, hit the edge of the island countertop, and shattered.

As far as I'm concerned, with very simple and easy to live with precautions a rear kitchen is not a problem. I realize some have had a different experience. I would not hesitate to buy another rear kitchen if that's the model we were in love with.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
Can we add I-5 going over the Grapevine to the new list of worst roads ever?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

John and Betsy

That is ONE nasty piece of road. It is bad west of Austin too, for some miles, as I remember. OH, yea, that one takes a place in the annals of horrid roads, like IO 94 near Battle Creek Mi, I 10 in Mississippi and Louisiana and I 20 around Shreveport.

Hey, Monitors, how bout a new section for us to list the bad roads?? Or have you already thought of that one??

Cheers,

Carol
homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David, I second your comment, that is why we never, ever do it if at all possible. We go around on the other side, Bakersfield to the 58 to the 395 to the 15. Much better. However we did find some roads in Utah that are worse.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #18
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
We have the rear kitchen and have not had any problems either.
We use glass dishes. We keep them in the cupboards above the Table in the slide. The plates and bowls all have a piece of bubble wrap layed between each one.
Never have had anything broken.

Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #19
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
We've had our 3650RK for 2 years FTiming, and have had no dish breakage. Would buy another one today. It has been an awesome Monty. But you need to go with your gut feeling. Don't make your decision on dish breakage or perception of heavy loading in the back end, because there is none of either. Whichever decision you make will be the right on.
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We love the rear kitchen and wouldn't have anything else. Learned early on this forum to put the piece of nonskid shelf liner between the dishes and have had no problems at all. Travelled two of the nastiest highways ever: I 90 between Rochester, MN and LaCrosse, WI and I 75 the last twenty miles to and from the Florida state line and Georgia and never had even a bowl out of place.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote