Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
What warranty is the best and who has used them

I am coming up on the one year anniversary of our RV ownership. I have researched all of the posts on the warranties. I would love to know who has used what and how positive your experience was with the company you used. So far I have gotten a quite for $680 from www.rvprotection.net for 7 years and a $50 deductable. It sounds good to me but I would love to hear from any one who used them. I also got another quote for $1100 and a $100 deductable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is a toughy! In my opinion, you gotta read the fine print. As a former insurance agent, let me suggest you carefully read the exclusion portion of the offering. I typically lay these policy quotes side by side to make a comparison of benefits and exclusions. You want to make sure you are comparing apples with apples. Then I would call several RV repair shops to see if they work with insurer(s) I am investigating. I would be super causious about a situation where you pay and then get re-embursed.

My experience with my extended warranty carrier has been very positive. However, this particular carrier is no longer providing RV coverage.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I also am interested in this topic. I am nearing the end of my warranty and I have inquired about the Route 66 extended warranty offered by my dealer. I gives you a list of dealers for priority service and is good at all others, but I don't know about their reputation.

I hope those with policies respond to this topic.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We DO NOT have a extended warranty But WILL be purchasing one before the one year warranty is up on our yet to be delivered 3400Rl. We have been doing extensive research on Extended Warranties.As Stiles pointed out be very cautious. Ask each company that you are investigating for a copy of the policy. Call the company ask questions. Run them by a attorney (we just happen to have two friends who are attorneys) but it would be well worth the $ 25 or 50..to get a good legal opinion.Having said that.we spoke to Rv protection and exchanged several E mails.His name is Scott.We chose not to purchase from that company. there are two others that look very good.www.warrantyexperts.com and one recommended by Montana Sky called "The Choice" It is underwritten by the Great American Life Insurance Company in Cincinnati, Ohio , a very old and prestigious company. It is sold through dealers and I spoke and E mailed Clay Schueman at blue crick Rv www.bluecrick.com
E mail clays.@bluecrick.com..I have the contract from both of these companies and and will purchase from one or the other.
The advise that Stiles gives about the "Exclusion" portion is well taken. Both of these policies list what they DO NOT include and everything else IS included rather tham a 5 page list of what IS Included and you figure out what is not and both pay the bill on a corporate credit card ..no out of pocket for you..I know you would not just buy one off the internet without extensive research.PLEASE DON"T DO THAT. Take a look at the two I have suggested.read the policies, talk to the rep..see what you think. I know there are one or two others out there who are doing the same thing and perhaps they will also reply. This is NOT a endorsment of any policy..just the results of my research thus far..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We DO NOT have a extended warranty But WILL be purchasing one before the one year warranty is up on our yet to be delivered 3400Rl. We have been doing extensive research on Extended Warranties.As Stiles pointed out be very cautious. Ask each company that you are investigating for a copy of the policy. Call the company ask questions. Run them by a attorney (we just happen to have two friends who are attorneys) but it would be well worth the $ 25 or 50..to get a good legal opinion.Having said that.we spoke to Rv protection and exchanged several E mails.His name is Scott.We chose not to purchase from that company. there are two others that look very good.www.warrantyexperts.com and one recommended by Montana Sky called "The Choice" It is underwritten by the Great American Life Insurance Company in Cincinnati, Ohio , a very old and prestigious company. It is sold through dealers and I spoke and E mailed Clay Schueman at blue crick Rv www.bluecrick.com
E mail clays.@bluecrick.com..I have the contract from both of these companies and and will purchase from one or the other.
The advise that Stiles gives about the "Exclusion" portion is well taken. Both of these policies list what they DO NOT include and everything else IS included rather tham a 5 page list of what IS Included and you figure out what is not and both pay the bill on a corporate credit card ..no out of pocket for you..I know you would not just buy one off the internet without extensive research.PLEASE DON"T DO THAT. Take a look at the two I have suggested.read the policies, talk to the rep..see what you think. I know there are one or two others out there who are doing the same thing and perhaps they will also reply. This is NOT a endorsment of any policy..just the results of my research thus far..
Thanx for your post on the moc. Could you possibly tell me why you decided to not go with rvprotection. They seem to have the best price so far for me. Also would you mind telling why you like the other 2 companies more. Thanx again for your help.
zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zzuroweste1

I am coming up on the one year anniversary of our RV ownership. I have researched all of the posts on the warranties. I would love to know who has used what and how positive your experience was with the company you used. So far I have gotten a quite for $680 from www.rvprotection.net for 7 years and a $50 deductable. It sounds good to me but I would love to hear from any one who used them. I also got another quote for $1100 and a $100 deductable. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Haven't got one of these but one condition you may want to consider is if this is transferable. Since 7 years is a fair amount of time and it would be a strong selling point to include if you do decide to sell??
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I only have had one experience with the extended warranty except Ford's which was fine.
When I bought the new Ford in 2001 the dealer quoted $3900 for the Ford warranty so I decided to go on line and check. After weeks of checking different on line warranties in every way I could I decided to go with Warranty Gold out of Austin Texas.
I checked them out completely and found they had been in business for almost 20 years and nothing bad on them.
While on trip out west, I had a leaking windshield and told the Ford Dealer to check with the warranty Co. to see if they would cover it.
When he called he was told they were not paying any claims for any reason.
To make a long story short they had an insurance co in the Cayman Islands backing them and they had taken the money and filed bankrupsy and Warranty Gold went to court and had the court in Austin cancel all the contracts.
Within a month Warranty Gold was back selling warranties and have never paid one dime to all the warranty holders.
I would never buy another warranty unless it was backed by Ford, General Motors etc.
I recently purchased a new car and was offered a cheaper warranty by the dealer but it was not backed by GM.
I paid the difference and bought GM.

There are probaly some good ones out there but the local Ford dealers and others have told me they will not accept any except theirs because they are too many problems.

awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If I recall correctly all the ones I mentioned were transferable and I believe two of them offered the entire premium back if you did not use the Warranty during the term of the Warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
As Rich has said, I went with "The Choice" rv protection plan. Have been very happy with the service and coverage they offer. Feel free to contact Clay at Blue Crick RV, he is happy to answer any questions you may have. Clay can also sell the warranty to anyone, you did not have to purchase your rv from my dealership. Rich has already posted his email address, if you need more information let me know.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have done all the homework and research I can stand on this topic. Have decided to go with Warranty Experts. They seem to be the most up front and easy to understand in all the ones I have reviewed.

On some of the other RV forums there has been much specific discussion regarding Warranty Experts, mostly very positive. By the way, I talked to the Service manager where I bought my Monty and asked him if he sees many people with extended warranties, he said most definitely. He was not selling me the dealership product, just a statement of fact.

Happy Camping
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote