Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 04:42 AM   #41
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Sounds like a hard hat area.

I've never done that. Yeah, right.

Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #42
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Orv - your map of visited states has exactly the same states as ours. All but New England and North Dakota.
Steve, we've been through ND but haven't slept there. That's our criteria--we have to sleep in the state. We've been wanting to get to the New England states but thus far haven't made them. Escapees keeps us so busy going east to west that we can't seem to find the time. Just as soon as Marge resigns her job as Graphic Artist for the Spring Escapade, then maybe we can begin to schedule in the NE states.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #43
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hamrad Dennis - maybe it's the water cause it seems to follow me wherever I take the RV, and I start out with home water???
I refuse to accept any hint that it might be related to age, old timer's disease or short term memory loss!! I tried to blame these lapses on my wife but I've had too many other witnesses over time who actually saw me do the ugly head butt.

Oh, the scariest one was last fall when we were in a campground in Sand Point, Idaho. Ronni took a backward step into the entryway cutout when she was closing the closet. Our previous RV was flat right up to the entry door and she wasn't used to the empty space there. The entry door was wide open and she fell out backwards landing flat on her back on the ground. She thinks she re-broke her tailbone, and the pain has slowly been going away, but other than that she was very fortunate. Needless to say we are both very conscious of that inside step now.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Orv - your map of visited states has exactly the same states as ours. All but New England and North Dakota.
Steve, we've been through ND but haven't slept there. That's our criteria--we have to sleep in the state. We've been wanting to get to the New England states but thus far haven't made them. Escapees keeps us so busy going east to west that we can't seem to find the time. Just as soon as Marge resigns her job as Graphic Artist for the Spring Escapade, then maybe we can begin to schedule in the NE states.
Orv
Thanks, Orv. That's our criteria, too. But we haven't even been through ND. We do want to get there one of these days, though. We have slept in PA and NY but not since fulltiming, so it doesn't count. I was born in NY state so I slept there a lot. And we've been in CT for one day but never slept there. The rest of NE we're anxious to see. With another grandchild on the way our plans to go there this Fall may have to shift into next year sometime. Only time will tell.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:17 AM   #45
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
Back to the screw up confessions...

Many years ago while backing up the pop-up into it's storage spot, I heard a strange crunching sound. Didn't put two and two together and cranked the truck back the other way. Huh, another strange crunch. It was then I remembered I had left the tailgate down. Caved in two different spots on the top of the tailgate. Truck was only about 6 mo old at the time. And the 1976 Krown pop-up tongue jack??? No damage. Just don't make them like they used to.

Aaron
abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #46
Montana_5215

M.O.C. #5215
As I am new to the game and a little apprehensive about all the details that many of you may take as second nature, I find all the confessions and/or screw ups the most valuable section on the board.
In the explanation portion of my purchase, there were many things that were skimmed or skipped. Is there a manual with pictures and arrows anywhere?
....and my screw up was....20 minutes after leaving the dealership. We had cut some branches before backing it in. One of us was watching as the other opened the slides. Ours is the RK and the dining is the last to come out. Evidently a drawer came out on the way home and was crushed. It is difficult to see how it can be avoided as you would have to crawl over the island counter thingy, to see that all was clear. Anyway I was able to replace the drawer bottom and put cripples on the sides.
After reading the column this far, I think I need to back up the clock and get all the horror stories.

The Journey is the Goal
Montana_5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #47
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
dos-tanos,
We did the very same thing with a previous rig. We now own a 3295rk (possibly the same as your model) and it is dificult to see. As you read more on this forum you will see a number of suggestions for that problem.

On our rig the bedroom slideout always comes out first. I then let a slideout in the kitchen/living area come out just enough to slip back and take a peek. If all is clear we take them out the rest of the way. So far this has worked for us.

I believe this forum is the manual.

Happy camping
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #48
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dos-tanos, I feel the pain. We've been fortunate to never have a desk drawer caught by that slide. But I did start worrying about it awhile back so now we have a large dowel rod that goes down through the handles off all the desk drawers to keep them from coming open. The bottom of the dowel touches the carpet and provides additional assurance that the drawers will not open, or at least not enough to catch the slide.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #49
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
What we do:

Before opening ANY slides (3295 RK also), have a good hard look around in the unit to see if there is anything out of place, bedroom and lower portion of unit.

Stand in bedroom and look OVER slides to see if those back cupboard doors are Open. If closed all is well, if open you are gonna have to climb over the sink.

Open slides, bedroom open, then the other two. When the other two are PART way open, STOP and walk down the aisle and visually look at the drawers, and the floor and such, checking for stuff that is not where it belongs.

When I am sure there is nothing on the floor and nothing is open that should be closed, finish the opening of the slides.

Had the cupboard doors open on I 10 going into New Orleans first winter out. Was a memorable set up!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #50
Montana_5215

M.O.C. #5215
Thanks for those comments, they are duly noted.
I see all it takes is reading a forum with a round of helpful, friendly "faces". I am encouraged.

The Journey is the Goal
Montana_5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #51
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
For a graphic look at another that most of us have done (hopefully not as bad) take a look at the photos in the thread Head vs. Hitch by OntMon. My knees clamped together when I saw that, and I have laid mine open too. Just not enough for stitches.
Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:30 AM   #52
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
We've had more than one screw-up, but here's what I consider the biggest. Some of you already know about this.....

I'd dumped & flushed the black tank and left the hose connected. One of the maintence people at the RV Resort used the water at our site for landscaping purposes. He didn't know how to use the connector we have -- and turned the water on -- directing it to our black tank....

We were away for the day....

And the black tank blew-up.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #53
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Let's see,,, the most memorable(and scariest) has to be the time I was in Maine for the winter in one of my prior 5vr's. I had recieved a call from a company I had done work for in the past, asking me to come to Louisiana to run a reconstruction project but they needed me there in 72 hours. I'm 2000 miles away. OK,, I get up the next morning at 06:00 to close up the rv. It is March, 12 degrees,,,,cold,,Brrrrr. Hey, no problem. I unpeel the 5vr (the bottom was closed in against the cold) and hook up and start to pull out when the whole rig starts to shift sideways. I get out and find
I am sitting on two inches of ice. I'm sitting on the edge of a mountain. Luckily the park owner came over with a load of sand that we threw under ALL THE WHEELS. He told me if I got her moving don't stop. Well it worked and I got out without falling of a mountain in Maine. Scared the heeby-jeebys out of me. one thing in my excitement I overlooked was the red wooden picnic table frozen to the planet on the right side. As I swung out the right rear end nailed the table. The table didn't move and I ended up with a two foot red streak along the right side but only about three hundred in damages. Much better than sliding off the side of a mountain. A good thing is,, the new tv I ordered issss,,,Guess What,,, a one ton 4X4,,hahhahhahhahhah
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #54
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Well, let's see. . . in 12 years of RVing and 7 fulltiming I have forgetten to latch a few doors here and there, have "bumped" the concrete piers at gas stations and once played a pretty tune with a road sign twanging all the way down the side of the Monty as I pulled onto the roadway. Bob's screw up is that three times in a row he has forgotten to turn of the electric switch on the water heater before draining the water to change the anode and has had to replace the heating element three times.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #55
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
We ran over some bad railroadtracks on a trip and when we got to our site, putting out the slides we heard a big bang. Some games had fallen from the back cupboard, but cupboard door had reclosed and we didn't see anything unusual. It poped the side frome loose from the main slideout. Repaired under warranty!
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #56
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Well,
worst thing that has ever happen is a destroyed tail-gate. When I went from a DRW to a 2500HD short box I got a pull-rite hitch and the place that installed the hitch was not real familiar with it and did not install the king-pin attachment. Well hooked up the truck to the fifth for first trip and after the first turn I felt a thump and did not know what was going on. Turns out the hitch was not returning like it was supposed to and kept hitting the tail gate. After a couple miles like that I got close to my shop and stopped and discovered that the king pin box was sitting on my tail gate and was stuck on it. It was a job to get it off but called the hitch place and they come out and got the plate welded on the king pin and after messing around for two hours took off to the beach where we had a great week end! Moral of the story is that things happen and you can still have a great time rving.
ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #57
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryngail

We've had more than one screw-up, but here's what I consider the biggest. Some of you already know about this.....

I'd dumped & flushed the black tank and left the hose connected. One of the maintence people at the RV Resort used the water at our site for landscaping purposes. He didn't know how to use the connector we have -- and turned the water on -- directing it to our black tank....

I've heard of this kind of thing happening once before to a good friend. I hope when you were back flushing from the campground water faucet that you were using a non-siphon fitting at the faucet. This prevents any chance of black water contaminating the campground water system.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #58
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
On my first unit I left the steps down. Few weeks later I hooked everything up to go camping and forgot to raise the steps, did not do walk around. We guess what the steps caught pole at the RV shed and jerked them right off, had not even camped in it yet. Had to install new steps.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #59
Dancyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4937
I found out that a remote for the stereo has the capability to rip the facia board off the slideout as it is being crunched between the slide and the wall when opening the slide on the 3295.

And the kingpin can leave a healthy gash in a bald head when moving around without paying attention!

But our day coming through southern Utah was the worst. As I was turning in a construction zone and hooked their "Detour" sign between the awning rail and the side of the Montana. Those construction guys can run pretty fast when they are trying to catch up with you when you are tearing out their signs and fence! And recovering from that episode, we stopped for the night and allowed the park host to "guide" us into our spot: right under a huge tree that took off 2 vent covers and caved in the roof and tore it. Oh well!
Dancyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #60
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryngail

I've heard of this kind of thing happening once before to a good friend. I hope when you were back flushing from the campground water faucet that you were using a non-siphon fitting at the faucet. This prevents any chance of black water contaminating the campground water system.
Orv
My hose is currently connected to the black tank flush inlet. After reading this I went out and got a shutoff I happened to have in the basement and installed it at the Montana end of the hose. Now they'd have to not only turn on the water but also turn on that shutoff. I think I'll leave that shutoff on that hose as that's the sole purpose of that hose.

I'll have to doublecheck but I think that inlet has a one-way valve. Or is that the troublesome component under the vanity?