Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I'm pulling this old thread back up as I am researching autoformers again.

ols1932, I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say in your preference for your surge protector AFTER your autoformer? Aren't you protected as long your surge protector is ANYWHERE before the rig? I am not familiar with the need for 102 volts for the surge protector to work. Are you saying that if you are sitting below 102 v that your surge protector is not activated and unprepared to take a sudden power surge? I'm trying to educate myself on this. Thanks.

Dave
Yes, Dave. The surge protectors are internally set to disable the input power if it drops below 102 volts. That's why I connect my autoformer directly to the shore power (RV park pedestal) and connect the surge protector between the autoformer and the rig. This way the autoformer hikes the voltage up high enough that the surge protector will enable power to the rig.

I had them connected the other way around in one campground and couldn't get any power to the autoformer--voltage was too low.

I would rather have to replace the autoformer (if by slim chance it conked out) and still have the surge protector protecting my rig.

Here's another thought to consider that I hadn't thought of until just lately: Every connection you have to make between the RV park power pedestal and your rig is just another chance for problems. You may have noticed that the plugs and receptacles on your power cords may look like they are melting. They are! Cause: loose connection. The prongs need to be clean and shiny and spread apart to make tight connections.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good points, Orv! Thanks!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #23
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Just bought one on line, Hughes 50 amp AutoFormer $475.00 free shipping.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #24
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
AutoFormer arrived yesterday. Cool.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #25
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Sweet fire

Where did you get it on line for that price?Sounds like a good deal.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:22 AM   #26
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
RV Performance. Seems to be run by a full time RV couple, nice to talk to. I was a little hesitant at first ordering from someone without a perminent base of operations, but I got the feeling from talking to the lady there that they pride themselves on having the lowest prices on the items they sell. They came thru for me. See link below.

http://rvperformanceproducts.com/
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #27
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I posted this on a previous thread. But to be safe, here it is again.

An autoformer works by boosting the voltage from the campground but it cannot boost the power. Be sure you do not draw more than 50 amps from the campground. Load shedding should make this ok. Some campgrounds do not allow autoformers for this very reason. It draws more current and puts additional strain on an already loaded down electric system.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
RADHAZJOE, do your recommend a 30 amp or 50 amp autoformer, then for my 2006 3400? I don't want to say I'll never use my 50 amp cord... we will be FTing.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RADHAZJOE

I posted this on a previous thread. But to be safe, here it is again.

An autoformer works by boosting the voltage from the campground but it cannot boost the power. Be sure you do not draw more than 50 amps from the campground. Load shedding should make this ok. Some campgrounds do not allow autoformers for this very reason. It draws more current and puts additional strain on an already loaded down electric system.
They only draw one and one half amps.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #30
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have a question about the autoformer that all you guys are talking about .... are they water proof??? because it looks like an external surface mounted electrical box to me, and from the looks of it it just hangs from the service box at the RV site. if this box has circutry or electronics wont water damage it if not sealed. Just asking.

TT2
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #31
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Good question Don. How about it guys? I told Karen she could get me one for Christmas and guess what? She told me no practical gifts!!!! I've told her that for years so she has had to suffer through jewlrey, diamonds, clothes etc. Now I would like to have a practical gift and she said no!! Oh well, I guess if I want one, I will have to go get one, which I probably will do after the first of the year.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #32
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
In reading this thread I was wondering how and AutoFormer would work if boondocking and using say a Honda2000 generator which would be undersized for running the AC. I currently have 2 of the Hondas I run in parallel but wonder if this wouldn't have been another alternative that would serve a broader purpose?
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 AM   #33
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 315RLS

In reading this thread I was wondering how and AutoFormer would work if boondocking and using say a Honda2000 generator which would be undersized for running the AC. I currently have 2 of the Hondas I run in parallel but wonder if this wouldn't have been another alternative that would serve a broader purpose?
I wouldn't do it! The Honda generators put out 120 volts and all the autoformer does is step up the voltage. Your Honda generators in parallel should put out a steady 120 volts, 26 amps. They will produce about 32 amps, surge.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 AM   #34
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I have a question about the autoformer that all you guys are talking about .... are they water proof??? because it looks like an external surface mounted electrical box to me, and from the looks of it it just hangs from the service box at the RV site. if this box has circutry or electronics wont water damage it if not sealed. Just asking.

TT2
No, they are not water proof. I usually protect mine by placing it on a couple of short pieces of 4x4 under the rig.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #35
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We have the 3400 RL. I highly recc. full 50 amp autoformer if you are going to get one.

The autoformer says it inly draws 1.5 amps. That is in addition to the power it is supplying to your RV. 50 amp service breakersw at CGs can only supply 118V times 50 Amps or 5900 watts if full powered if single breaker or 110 volts times 100 amps 11800 watts if dual ganged breakers. Yes I have seen some 50 amp single breakers and yes they are only 118/50.

If the campsite voltage drops to say 100 volts and the autoformer boosts it back to 110, when you try to draw 50 amps, it asks the site for 5500 plus the 1.5 amps for losses in the autoformer. Thats 56 amps and a blown breaker at the campsite.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #36
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have a 30 amp Autoformer, and it is waterproof. Now saying that, the receptical that your trailer plugs in is not. I made a cover for the Autoformer by cutting a pressure treated plywood base to fit the autoformer. I then went out and bought a plastic trashcan that would fit over the autoformer. I cut two large holes in the sides and secured two vents over them. I finally attached the plastic trashcan to the plywood base by two small latches. With two small holes near the base for the input trailer cable and the output cable from the autoformer, The Huges autoformeer is now completely waterproof and the cover won't blow away. In addition, it doesn't take much room and doesn't weigh anything.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

TT2
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 AM   #37
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Quote from Hughes Autoformer "Users Guide";

pg. #3, Precautions;

"The units are weatherproof, not waterproof. Please do not allow them to sit in or collect water, and especially watch out for sprinkler systems (water under pressure). Modifying the Autoformer in any way will void the warranty. Use the Autoformer only as designed. Do not use for any purpose other than intened. Do not seal holes or edges with silicone or any other material. To do so will void your warranty. Removing the lid or making any alterations to the Autoformer will also void your warranty."
Old 12-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Fulltimedreamer has the best solution, by far:

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...ofrm_inst.html

This is impressive!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #39
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As Sweetfire has pointed out, the Autoformer is weather proof and NOT waterproof and there is a difference. It is also subject to wearing out through constant usage.

I placed mine in a vented plastic box with a lid. When in use, the box w/autoformer is placed under the trailer where it is protected from any rain and being in a plastic box it is protected from any puddling of water. I only use my Autoformer when the need arises and do not have it plugged in when not needed. The Autoformer is like any thing else, the more you use it the sooner it wears out and for this reason I do not want mine hard wired into the trailer. I have a volt meter plugged in at all times and we check it daily. Especially during hot weather when everyone is running their A/C. If there is any indication of low voltage or voltage fluctuation I than plug the Autoformer in. Other than that it stays in the basement.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn, unless I'm mistaken (Fulltimedreamer could clear this up), this setup has two twist plugs, one on either side of the autoformer, that he can quickly, and easily, unplug... and then reconnect the plugs together (one is male, the other female), bypassing the autoformer.

Maybe it's not as easy to change this back and forth as my impression was, though. Where are you, Lamar? I know you're a busy guy.