Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Another Alaska adventure!

We were packing up. The 'puter was put away, the coffee pot was stashed and....the truck failed us. Glen went out to back up to hitch the trailer and the truck is faltering and fading to nothing. Probably the fuel pump, even though the truck is only 18 months old. So he is looking into the details of getting it fixed in this area. And our next call will be to Good Sam's Emergency Road Service. I don't know how we'll get this done. This area is very remote except for touristy businesses. Looks like we'll be here for a while, which isn't a bad thing. Within one block are 10 restaurants, two coffee shops, a bookstore, 3 gift shops, two artist galleries, etc. Sure is better than breaking down on one of these remote roads. More later. I guess I'll get my sewing machine out.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Judy, it is a shame that the two of you are having more difficulties on your Alaskan adventure! That said, however, I admire your attitude! Your choosing to look at this mishap in a positive light is more than commendable!

I hope your truck is fixed soon so your adventure can continue!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you for your kind words, Wordsmith. Difficulties will come. It's how you handle them that makes the difference. We have had major tests in our past so this seems pretty minor. We're here at a comfortable campsite in an area that is still beautiful, even with a broken truck.

A tow truck is on the way to tow the truck to Fairbanks (boo, we've already been there) and we will all wait here until we know the truck is fixed. A towing policy only tows a sick truck. Once it is fixed, we have to pick it up. So we will take the scenic train to Fairbanks, spend the night and pick up the truck. Just means we spend more time in Denali.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Certainly sad to have these things go wrong. You people handle these things with the right attitude. Would rather be broke down in a campsite anyday as compared to the side of the road!!! This will just add more color to the history of your trip. The senic train sounds interesting, keep us posted!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy,
Sorry to hear of your troubles but you are right better where you are in a CG than on the road. The train is one of the things on our list to do so enjoy and tell us about it. Sewing is great therapy. I just sold my cabinet model I've had for 44 years at our garage sale. I have a new portable but it was like seeing a member of the family go. It has sewen lots of little girls clothes, wedding dresses, bridesmaids and lots and lots of theater costumes.
Keep the good attitude going.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, our truck is gone, off via the tow truck. The train is beautiful but it costs $90.00 just to go to Fairbanks, 120 miles north. We will probably elect to have Glen take the local shuttle, a van that cost $40.00. He can get there and bank in one day on the shuttle.

You are correct about not wanting to be broken down along the side of the road, especially here in Alaska. There are many very remote areas, even along the main highway. The cities that are listed on the maps may be just a couple of small garage-sized stores with some cabins set way back in the woods. You cannot see them and you have no idea how far back in the woods they are. And your cell phone doesn't work.

Sue, I have the same sewing history as you, except for the theater costumes, and probably the amount of projects. Now that I've taken up quilting my family is wanting me to sew more for some of them, especially those two little granddaughters. I need to get busy.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:02 AM   #7
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Judy,

I think there is something or someone else you were supposed to do or see in this location. What a blessing that you were all set up in a campground when it happened.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:21 AM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Judy, did you get some bad fuel, as in water in the fuel? It just doesn`t make sense that the fuel pump went so fast, although it does happen. Just a thought. Please let us know the diagnosis. I am glad you are safe in a CG and can enjoy it for a couple days longer. Good luck on the remainder of your trip as I am envious, troubles or not it is a trip of a lifetime that I hope to do in the near future.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:48 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, We know what you are going through. We are in beautiful Coeur D'Alene, Idaho and started out to see the sights. Our truck started screeching before we even got off the service road. We had to back it up about a mile and return to the campground. Tow truck got here too late to have it looked at on friday so it is sitting in Spokane at a service station until monday when someone will try to figure out what is wrong. Our truck is 5 weeks old. We were able to rent a car and still get around to sight see but we had reservations at the campground near Glacier where Steve and Vicki are for monday. Don't know when we'll get there now but we will.

I thing we both must have had a little angel sitting on our shoulders to be in a safe place when this happened and have our house parked. Good luck to you guys.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:04 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We also feel blessed to be where we are. Although this area is remote by US standards, we are very comfortable. We even have WiFi! How good does it get! And the beauty is all around us. And most everything we need is within walking distance, albeit on a minature scale.

We had one concern. We just switched over to our second bottle of propane. One tank will last about ten days in this environment. Most mornings are around 50, more or less, so the furnace does run at night. This morning it is 39'. Glen was out walking Greta and started talking to another dogwalker, who asked if we pulled our fifth wheel with the heavy duty truck parked next to us (it belongs to a contractor). Glen shared our story which included our concern about the propane. Half an hour later there was a knock on our door. This angel of mercy (dogwalker) had brought us a space heater. What a blessing....both the heater and his concern. We had looked for a space heater before we left, but they don't sell them in Alabama in the spring.

We had considered that it was bad gas but did a lot of test driving, even after we called Good Sam's Emergency Road Service. Glen just drove it down the road and it quit three times in a mile of driving. Whatever the cause is, we can't take the chance of driving like that in these road conditions. Going up a mountain with 12,000 pounds behind you and no power doesn't tickle my funny bone. Nor does the idea of being stranded on the road 50 miles out of nowhere without a cell phone seem very appealing. When the tow truck driver came, he said that he buys gas at the station we used and he'd never gotten bad gas. I think it was a Chevron station.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:16 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

Glad you are parked and enjoying your forced "stay". If trouble has to come, at least it is not too bad if you have WIFI! HA HA HA

How's the sewing coming along??

Be sure to let us all know what went wrong, you too adelmoll.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:23 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
FYI..we have the Allstate motor club and they will tow the Tv and/or camper up to 100 miles without charge. On our recent camper breakdown they were sending out a 40 foot flat bed to transport out TT 45 miles to a repair facility.We did not have to do that as we were able to have it repaired at the campground. I am sure that other road service clubs do that...Might be worth looking into. It is good that you can make the best out of a negative situation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:28 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The last time we asked (been a while, maybe should do again to refresh our minds) GoodSam would tow the truck to the nearest repair facility AND if you broke down on the side of the road, would tow Montana to the nearest campground and get you set up there for the duration. No matter if the nearest campground was 150 miles or 5 miles, no matter if the nearest repair facility for truck was 400 miles, or 4. They also cover our other two motor vehicles. We cancelled the towing on all insurance policies covering the vehicles, as GoodSam has been great when we have needed it.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:42 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We also have Good Sam and AAA but because our truck was only 5 wks old we called the Ford Emergency # to make sure it would be covered. Good Sam and AAA would have towed us to the Ford dealer right here in Coeur D'Alene but they said they could not even look at it for a week or so. Ford called orher dealers to see which one would see us soonest and then towed it there. The dealer said he would look at it on friday but after many problems and several hours wait we finally got towed by the third company Ford called. The service dept closed at 5:00 and we didn't get there until 5:55. We were really lucky because the car rental agency closed at 6:00 and I was able to get them to pick us up. Another 5 minutes and we would have been stuck in downtown Spokane without any transportation. Sometimes good things do work out.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:55 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, I am so sorry about your truck problem. And your truck is even newer than ours. Glad that you're parked and could get a rental car. We don't have that luxury. It's hard to realize how remote this area is. Denali is 6 million acres and so there are mountains on two sides. There's one town 10 miles north and one town 30 miles south. But they're not towns with full facilities, like we think of them. Their grocery store would fit in a two car garage and it's probably also the post office and gas station.

Rich, your 100 mile policy wouldn't get you to a dealer from here. Good Sam's was here in just over an hour and took the truck all the way to Fairbanks (120 miles), no questions asked. If we had broken down on the road, they would have towed the trailer to the nearest campground. We probably could have called them to help when our water tank fell out, too.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:27 AM   #16
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
jrgwdenner

Ok Judy, did you really go out and fix the truck earlier before Glen tried to start it just so you could spend more time at the campground? Sounds like something I would do!! Only kidding!!
Good luck, keep us posted because we are all traveling with you via your posts and pictures. I'm sure you will be on your way soon.

adelmoll

Maybe it's the trucks--it's just so nice where you guys are they just don't want to move??? I'm sure the campground in Hungry Horse will not be a problem with you coming in a little late. We were suppose to be there in June but had to cancel for medical reasons and they couldn't have been nicer.

Take care everyone--Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:34 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh, Sharon, now you figured it all out. Actually, we're missing a camping reservation in salmon country and an appointment with the Montana dealer in Anchorage to get our water tank fixed. So I don't think even Glen would believe that scenario under these circumstances. Especially since it involves the fishing opportunity.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:56 AM   #18
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Boy, for salmon I'd be helping the guy to fix the truck. Love that salmon.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If you come to Denali, be sure to get the chowder at the Salmon Bake restaurant. It's a big serviing and delicious. Guess I'll have a chance to get more.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was wrong on the allstate benefits.Towing is unlimited for the car/TV/ camper.Also covers car rental while repaires are being made..Think they all do that. We had good Sams for years and I think at the time we had it the towing was 100 miles and was one of the reasons we changed..The Alaska trip was on our travel agenda but I don't know, sound like a rough trip.Am trying to think of someone we know that DID NOT have a camper failure of some sort while making that trip..I know we will do it though..Are following all these Alaska post with interest.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote