Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
storage compartments supports..

I have trouble with the plastic (hooks)For the lack of a better name that hold the compartments open. They keeping breaking, I bought some of the mental one from camping world they work alright, but are a little shorter than the others.I have been thinking about trying the gas strut ones that cw has for sale . They look like a hatch back opener. What I was wondering if anyone has tried them out and if so what were the results Thanks Jack We can't control the wind but we can adjust our sails

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Havent tried them but would be interested to know if they would be better. Last time out my wife was opening the storage door and didnt have it clipped securely and it fell hitting her. It had happen to me also. I think the clips should be longer or something.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
For info. John and Marge (JLBOZ60) uses the same type of clips that hold the door open. He kept getting hit on the head. Haven't made the change yet myself.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I have a couple of problem clips also. One of the two clips on the front hatch only has one screw attached. The drivers side hatch is broken at the top where the pin slides through. The passenger side spring is unsprung. The pins constantly want to slide out of the brackets. I use a pair of channel lock pliers and push them back in.
I'm looking for a better solution myself next time I'm at a parts store.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I'm so glad to hear that others have problems, too. Those doors have fallen on my head so many times, I think I've lost a few brain cells. I had one scab that lasted over a month. Could it be possible to replace the lift-up style doors with the ones that open sideways? I'd be willing to pay for this change if they would fit.

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I replaced both plastic baggage door catches with the stainless steel type, because the cheap plastic ones break easily. They are long enough if you gage the distance you need to hold the compartment open. You have to drill a new hole for the screw. The metal base with the rubber seal is long enough to cover the old hole. I filled in the old hole with a peice of dowl and some outdoor glue. The metal ones are better looking than the cheap plastic ones.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I went with the metal ones about a year ago, and they also suck. Now rusty and springs shot. Still looking for something better, hopefully someone will come up with an idea and post it here.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Buddy of mine has a Cardinal fiver with the gas struts on the cargo doors - they work great - only problem is you cannot open them right up, they only go up to about 90' so it makes it very difficult to load stuff in and out.
I wish there was a better method of hooking the cargo door open than the useless little clips they use now.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
One of the things I noticed about the new Cambridge was storage doors that open like regular cupboard doors. I wonder if we can just order those and replace ours????? Inquiring minds want to know.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We do not own a 5th wheel yet but are looking at the 3400RL. I wonder if it is possible to reverse the hinges so the doors open downward instead of up. Obviously the latch would have to be strong enough to hold the door closed, but at least it would not fall on your head. Just a thought.

Alan&Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Has anyone thought about maybe using a shorter version of the thingie that holds the 5ver main door open. That thing works great. Maybe the shorter version. Here is something that I found online. That would better then the thing that holds that door up right now.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...04&pageNum=203
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I like the idea of the bottom hinged door. The only problem I see is if it comes open then every thing loosely stored in that compartment is subject to the wind and environment while going down the road. With a top hinge the door has a tendency to stay closed more. I have too many things loosely crammed in there when I close my doors. Stuff lost, scattered along the road and causing an Accident. Nope, not unless I pack things different and that might not be a bad idea anyway.

We normally like to put the picnic table close to the door and a bottom hinge storage door would catch on the bench of the picnic table. Just thinking out loud.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote