Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Camping and diesel expenses up north.

For those of you who asked, here is the list of places we have stayed: Redstreak Prov. Park in Radium Hot Springs, BC at $56.00C for two nights, Tunnel Mountain RV Village in Banff at $99.00C for three night (full hookups), Mile Zero RV Park in Dawson Creek, BC for $17.50C, Westend Campground in Fort Nelson, BC at $50.00C for two nights, Downtown RV Park in Watson Lake, Yukon at $48.30C for two nights (full hookups + cable), FamCamp at Eielson, AFB, AK at $16.00 per night for four nights, Denali Rainbow RV Park at $116.00 for four nights. Unless indicated, all connections are for water and electricity. We spent one night in a pullout south of Tok.

Price plus 'C' indicates price in Canadian cost. There is also a GST tax that is added to the price, 7%, I believe. All campgrounds are basic, usually gravel sites but generally have nice, clean facilities.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Diesel prices are lower than gasoline in Canada but once we arrived in Alaska, they're higher. Resort areas are more expensive so be sure you fill up your tank about 30 - 60 miles from your destination. Diesel in Canada averaged about $2.88 per gallon after applying the conversion rate. They range from $2.38 - $3.26, the latter being purchased in Muncho Lake, British Columbia. The Yukon is consistently higher than areas further south. GST is included in these prices.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:15 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I can see we will have to start putting aside more $$$$ before we go next year or maybe someone will realize we do not have a gas shortage and the prices will come down a bit. We paid up to $2.79 a gal. for deisel in Washington state but just filled up in Idaho for $2.49. We also found some of the campgrounds are getting very costly. Wish there were more places we could fit into so we would have more choices.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, the fit is a problem. I've had a small bit of envy for the nice truck campers and class "C"s that are so prevalent up north, and for good reason....they fit! Fortunately most of the good camping books will tell you what length will fit into specific campgrounds. But that doesn't mean that they'll fit easily. When we drove through Riley Creek campground, the National Parks campground here at Denali, we wondered how some of those rigs ever made it into their site. Backing in was one challenge but just getting to the site through the trees was also difficult.

I would plan on dry camping to save some $$. You can't do it in the Yukon without paying a fee but in Alaska there are abundant pullouts. Usually there is someone else there with you and they are safe, from all indications. Most of the private campgrounds are just parking lots anyway, not beautiful scenic wooded settings so you might as well be in a pullout every other night. Things may change as we go further south.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks, That is really good to know. I will add this to my book of "Things to know about Alaska" It's getting pretty thick already and we haven't even bought the Milepost yet.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, if you're going to Alaska next summer, NOW is the time to buy the Milepost. It will really get you in the mood for your trip and the things that you hear will make more sense to you. And it's fun to read and dream. I bought ours over a year before our trip. I've also used Streets and Trips to plan an itinerary, even though we didn't stick with it all the time.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, can you provide the approximate exchange rate so I can relate to the CG numbers? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, we took the easy way out and figured that every Canadian dollar cost us 80 cents. It varied from day to day but that's a pretty good average. The price of $10.00 Canadian would really cost us $8.00. It's nice when it works out that way.

Glen figured that a gallon of gas was 3.76 liters. At 90 cents per liter, a gallon was $3.38 Canadian. 80% of that = approximately $2.70 US per gallon.

Another expense....propane. A tank is lasting us about 10 days, using the furnace every night. A tank cost us about the same as in the US.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Judy, that's exactly what I was looking for. Just a close approximation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote