Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Towing another.....

trailer hitched to the Montana. This is what we saw in southeast Alabama. The Montana had a small enclosed utility trailer on a receiver hitch attached to the frame of a 3575. Doesn't this void the warranty for the frame? I know Keystone refuses to recommend attaching a receiver hitch to the frame even for a motorized wheelchair platform. We would just like to put a small platform in the back for a generator so it would be close to the main power connection. Any thoughts on this idea?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am considering a platform for the same reason. Looking forward to any input.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We are of the understanding that hitches attached to back of Montana voids warranty. People have done it, and in fact, some dealers have installed hitches on sale of new unit.

The concern has to do with undue stresses on the fiberglass sides, especially around the bedroom area (for most units, front room area for those who have that snazy front room layout!) Keystone reports seeing cracks in that area on units with back bumper hitches. Extra weight in/on the rear of the unit puts excessive stress on the fiberglass in that area of your rig.

Our suggestion: Read your warranty, including all fine print. Read it again! Could we say that again?? OK, READ YOUR WARRANTY!

When/if your warranty has expired, does it matter?? Not sure, some equipment on the units have more than the one year warranty.

Happy trails.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have spoken face-to-face with Keystone personnel. The reason they don't recommend a rear trailer hitch is because the frame manufacturer will not stand behind the stress placed on the frame by the hitch regardless of the weight placed there. The frame warranty will be voided. I have a hitch on mine that was welded to the frame by the dealer when I purchased the rig. I only used it for hauling my bicycles on a bike rack. I have since removed the bicycles!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have seen other Montana's with a hitch on the back, but I will wait until latet to determine if I really want to take the chance. I really need someway to pull my boat or a small trailer for the bike.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've heard the part about the extra hitch voiding the warranty. I would have to wonder what stress a platform with 150# of generator or lightweight bicycles on it would put on a frame designed to support a trailer/fiver as heavy as a Montana. So many other brands have them or come with them already attached. It just seems like it would make life a little simpler.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Copied from my reply at;
Tow Vehicles & Towing
Motorcycle lift vs. trailer

There was a Montana in here just 2 weeks ago with a Honda Goldwing on a hitch on the back of his Montana. The steel frame work for the hitch ran all the way from the back of the rig and stopped just behind the rear spring shackle. This steel was welded to the Montana's frame. He "claimed" that Montana OK'd it and in fact the frame was now stronger than before. He will be back here in a week or so and I will try to get further info.

AND I don't recall who it was but at the rally someone had a hitch on his Montana for pulling his boat.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
This may be a dumb thought, but adding something to the 5th wheel --- wouldn't that put extra strain on the truck?

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:44 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Only in the actual towing of the rig. The truck would be pulling more weight and not necessarily carrying more weight.
When you add the weight of a motorcycle to the tail end of the trailer it will actually lift the nose of trailer and therefore take weight off of the truck. This could be a more dangerous situation and one that I for one would not care to mess with.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
We were the 2nd owners of our 2850 RK . I noticed the 2" hitch on the back and asked the original owner about . They actually towed a VW beetle all over arizona for 2 years!!
Now we've never towed anything,but I put a Hitch Hawler on it (with cover) and its great for those bulky things like carpet and chairs. I dont worry about warranty since ours is a '98. Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #11
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
The main reason we made the switch from a motorhome to a 5'er was so that I could tow my boat behind, and still have something to drive when we get there. I'm sure that I am taking some risk if it's deemed that a structural problem (or any other problem) is the result of my towing activities.

It's a chance I'm personally willing to take however. My wife doesn't like to drive that much, and I like to fish, "So ya gotta do what ya gotta do".
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote