Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
retired523
Established Member

M.O.C. #11028
Mold smell in water

We found directions online about how to flush the freshwater tank, but the freshwater tank isn't the problem. The water coming through the faucet in the kitchen and bathroom sinks smells and tastes like mold. This may be the same in the shower and washing machine, but I don't know since I haven't tried to smell or taste water from those. We've been at our RV site for two weeks and the smell started about a week ago. Any suggestions on what we should do to find the problem?

retired523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
First I have to ask, do you use a water filter? If you are hooked directly to the water source, the freah water tank won't come into the factor. If you are using the fresh tank, flush the system out with household bleach. I'd start with one filter and if that doesn't completely take the smell away, go to two filters. We had to use two filters in a cg in Bremen Ind, and I think a third one would have helped.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You should be able to find instructions on flushing the RV systems as well. If you must flush out the fresh water tank then I'd recommend flushing the whole house system too. You might need a few treatments since some of the problem areas might be right after any shutoffs.

It basically means you run the pump and get the bleach solution in all the plumbing, let it sit for several hours (overnight is best - that's what I do, but I don't live in my rig) and do its thing, then flush with fresh water to remove the bleach smell (don't forget the filters). Hopefully this takes care of the mold/mildew problem.

Don't forget to use the filter system when refilling the fresh water tank. It doesn't do much good if you have a wonderful filter system for the city water supply, then don't use it when filling the fresh water tank.

I use my water filters for any water coming in to my rig. I've seen RVers connect up the city water using the filters, then fill up the fresh water as an emergency backup to the city water supply AFTERWARDS using NO filters. Makes no sense to bypass your filtration system.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
You might check the hot water tank. The water in there can go bad and cause a bad smell.
It would need to be drained and flushed out with a wand if it is the source of the smell. If you use bleach to sanitize the system run it into the water heater also.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
You need to flush the lines using the fresh water tank with a bleach mix. fill the tank with water and a cup of bleach,then run all your faucets until you smell bleach. wait a couple hours and drain and reflush with fresh water. that is how you get rid or the smell.you may be mistaking the write up as just cleaning the tank,but it does it all
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Also check the hose!I run bleach through the hose every spring I am thinking this may be the the problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have had a couple of hoses "go bad" like Ken mentioned.

First I'd suggest you make sure the park's water isn't the problem. If it's ok from the spigot, check the hose(s) to see how the water is coming out of there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
forgot about the hose. especially if it is not made for drinking water
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
We had a similar problem in our last unit. All the sanitizing wouldn't cure it. Finally discovered the water in the washer prep lines was the source. Flushed and sanitized them and the smell went away.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I second the washer hot/cold lines. Flush these lines and the smell goes away. We make it a routine to run the water through the lines to prevent the water from stagnating in them.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
retired523
Established Member

M.O.C. #11028
Thank you very much for your suggestions. We flushed lines and changed the hose -- problem is gone.
retired523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good to hear it. Thanks for letting us know. Now you can enjoy your RV.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote