Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Winter/Summer prep

Well it looks like we will be maintaining two stick homes for awhile, winters in Florida and summers in Illinois, spring and fall in Monte. What do we need to do when we leave our homes vacant for the winter/summer?

I know we will adjust the thermostats accordingly and we will have friends/family to look in on the houses while they are vacant. Do we drain the pipes or leave them? What is the best temps to leave the thermostats on? ETC, etc????

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We have a security system with temp sensors, a water bug in the basement, smoke detectors, and intrusion.
We have a heating and Ac plumber on call for temp and water calls. Others calls go to appropriate agency.
We turn the water to the house off and set the furnace at 50 degrees, and turn the hot water tank off.
Cable tv and Internet are suspended with phone on for the security system.
I take the mail box down so the " sub" mail carrier can not leave any mail.
We also have our furnace gone over by a pro before we leave.
We do not drain any water or goose necks and we do not put veg. Oil in the goose necks.
We leave the fridge on.

Hope that gives you some ideas to go with.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

We have a security system with temp sensors, a water bug in the basement, smoke detectors, and intrusion.
We have a heating and Ac plumber on call for temp and water calls. Others calls go to appropriate agency.
We turn the water to the house off and set the furnace at 50 degrees, and turn the hot water tank off.
Cable tv and Internet are suspended with phone on for the security system.
I take the mail box down so the " sub" mail carrier can not leave any mail.
We also have our furnace gone over by a pro before we leave.
We do not drain any water or goose necks and we do not put veg. Oil in the goose necks.
We leave the fridge on.

Hope that gives you some ideas to go with.
Pretty much same, but I blow out all the water lines and anti-freeze the traps; Pink stuff
I have a trusted friend come and check on the house weekly.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Why do you leave the fridge on?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Water off, drained as much as we can get it. RV pink in the traps, toilets, run it thru part of a cycle on the washer and the dishwasher.

Heat to 45 to 50.

Notify police we are gone, who is checking on house.

Have house sitter come in 2 times a month, $20.00 a visit, and she removes the dead mice and shrews.

Frigs off, cleaned out really really well, DRY well, stuff with crumbled newspapers and shut the door, return to dry and sweet smelling frigs.

I have a HUGE long list of prep for the winter, if anyone is interested, email, NOT PM, email me and I'll send you a copy.

Happy RVing!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote