Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
How Does Your Main Slide Work?

Had ours adjusted under warranty. The other day when opening it up, I noticed that when the top of the slide makes contact with the wall, the bottom/sides are about 4 or 5 inches from sealing. The top of the slide is pretty tight when opened up all the way.

The bedroom and kitchen slides don't open up this way - the spacing is pretty much even on the top as compared with the sides.

It just seemed like there was a lot of pressure up at the top on the main slide and don't want to see the side of the trailer busted. Just wondering if this is just the way the main slide works due to the weight, etc. Anyone else noticed?

Thanks,

gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Greg,
That is sort of the way mine works. Not sure about the actual measurements but that may be about right. If there are no other issues associated with the way it is working then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
All of mine close up all the way top to bottom. If I slip my fingers in behind the slide trim, I can feel that there is no gap top to bottom.
Curious about your slide floor. At least on mine, just as my living room slide nears the end of travel, the floor drops a little to somewhat level out the slide floor to the main floor. At the same time, it seems the lower part of the slide goes a little further out. Does yours drop and level out just before it stops? Or does it remain raised? If it does not drop, I would think it is not reaching full travel. Could be something preventing it from dropping down and finishing travel.
Does anyone else's act like mine?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

All of mine close up all the way top to bottom. If I slip my fingers in behind the slide trim, I can feel that there is no gap top to bottom.
Curious about your slide floor. At least on mine, just as my living room slide nears the end of travel, the floor drops a little to somewhat level out the slide floor to the main floor. At the same time, it seems the lower part of the slide goes a little further out. Does yours drop and level out just before it stops? Or does it remain raised? If it does not drop, I would think it is not reaching full travel. Could be something preventing it from dropping down and finishing travel.
Our living room slide also makes contact at the top first and then the bottom drops down and out to make a complete seal. It has always been like that with never a problem.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our main slide has always worked that way. I've never observed the other slides. The only reason I have observed the main slide is because it has broken twice (the part where the hydraulic piston is tied to). It is a "flush floor" slide and that's why, when opening, it drops down.

When the slide comes in, the floor lifts up which causes the bottom part of the slide appear to go in a little further than the top. When the slide is all the way in, it is sealed all the way around.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Our main slide does that more noticeably than the other ones. I believe it is due to the fact that it also drops down before completely settling into place. The kitchen slide stays elevated above the floor when completely open. However, both of our big slides come in at the bottom on the last segment of the slide moving. I believe that to be normal.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #7
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
The slides are different on the Montana's then the Mountaineer's. The slide floors do not drop down on a Mountaineer. The slide floor is cut at an angle to make it near flush but the Montana actually has a white hard plastic lip the length of the slide the floor drops down on when extended. When the room comes in you can see it actually lift up and then come in..
Quote:

bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Thanks all for your replies. Sounds like it's normal. The floor is raised up when the slide is rolled in. We can see why it's not a good idea to walk on it when the slide is in.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PapaBeav

Quote:

Our living room slide also makes contact at the top first and then the bottom drops down and out to make a complete seal. It has always been like that with never a problem.
Ours works the same as PapaBeav...seems to be working fine. We have seen a lot of rain on our current trip and have experienced zero leaks.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Greg, I agree with you 100%. With my rig 3 slides work like yours (mid kitchen, two rear living room) and somewhere in my manual it says not to walk on the floor part that is slightly raised for the slideout when retracted. When retracting the top makes slight contact first, then the bottom part swings upward to seal.

The only slide that does not act this way is the small bedroom one - it goes straight out and it goes back straight in. No dipping and raising.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote