Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
Converter/Battery??

Once in awhile our refrigerator panel flashes LO DC. I check the battery moniter and it is low. I go into the breaker box and reset the converter breaker. Then the battery comes to full power. Do I have a battery problem, converter problem or something else?

JacknBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Since you should still be under warranty I would ask the dealer service center to check all the 120VAC screw connections on the circuit supporting the converter. And worse case ask them to replace the converter. When the converter tries to provide 12VDC and or re-charge the batter it is drawing too much 120VAC for the breaker and causing it to trip. With that thought possibly replacing the 120VDC breaker is an option too.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We had a problem with our converter (Iota 55amp) when it was new as it would keep tripping the breaker. while under warranty the dealer replaced it but the problem continued and the dealer said that there was nothing wrong as he could not duplicate the problem. I tried switching circuits on the converter but it would still trip even on another breaker. I contacted Keystone and after many frustrating months they finally decided to install a larger (Iota 85amp) converter along with a heavy duty breaker and that solved the problem.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
On ocassion, i have noticed the kitchen lights very dim, when checking the breaker box I have found the converter breaker tripped. It has only happened about three times in the three years we have been fulltiming. I THINK I have the IOTA 55 amp and if this happens more often I will change out to the 85 amp with smart charger. I never recall anything different when it happens, it just Happens. I guess that old saying is true "_ _ _ _ Happens!" Not gonna let it get me down.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We had the same problem with our converter breaker from day one. Intermittently it would kick out the breaker. I checked battery water and all connections and still had the problem, untill we got to NY after last falls rally. Then the converter just quit. It was a 75 amp IOTA and I called them, they sent a new unit right out and we have not had a problem since. While waiting for the new unit to arrive I ordered the IOTA IQ-4 charge controller. It was only about 20 bucks and it keeps the battery at peak all the time... Dave P.S. I have since replaced the OEM 12 volt battery with two Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries. Now we have LOTS of 12 power when the grid goes down for the night...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
I pulled the face off the 12 volt panel box and found one of the two black power wires only touching the screw connector. It must have been that way for awhile as the wires even started to melt together. I put the wire back on and tightened both. I guess it is possible for these wires to vibrate off during travel, but it seems more likely a quality-control issue. Anyway, the problem seems to be solved and I really appreciate all the help from this forum!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Jack, I don't know if the loose wires were your problem or not. However, just want to share this with you. I have a 30 foot Four Winds travel trailer up at my hunting camp. Just this past year I had to have a new Norcold refrig installled. It does the same thing that yours is doing. I notice it most often, when my furnance fan kicks on. It had me worried, so I asked my installer, and he told me that the refrig always has 12 volts going to it, even when you are hook up to shore power, (120 volts), and when you having alot of 12 volt lights on or something that pulls on the 12 volts system like the furnance fan, it will cause the LO DC to flash, but it is nothing to worry about. The refrig is going into it's second year, and I leave on on 24/7, and no problems. I just hope his info is good.
Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
Thanks, Joe. So far, so good, but I will keep your post in mind should the problem not be solved. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

On ocassion, i have noticed the kitchen lights very dim, when checking the breaker box I have found the converter breaker tripped. It has only happened about three times in the three years we have been fulltiming. I THINK I have the IOTA 55 amp and if this happens more often I will change out to the 85 amp with smart charger. I never recall anything different when it happens, it just Happens. I guess that old saying is true "_ _ _ _ Happens!" Not gonna let it get me down.....
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
I have the very same thing happen to me the lights go dim,the battery monitor says low,the fridge says Lo DC and I flip the converter breaker and everything is fine. This only happens once in a great while so I just deal with it. I thought There might have been a connection to the problem of me not disconnecting the trailer lights wire to the truck before I plugged into shore power, sometimes I do this if I am staying hooked up for night.
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote