Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
adamron
Established Member

M.O.C. #10098
first 9 days in new 3455

were at the outerbanks in our new 3455 and so far perfect. no leaks,no bad switches,no molding or wall paper wrinkles,the only thing is due to the counter tops being coran, and dark it shows scratches kinda bad. pulled into a flying j outside of raleigh and weighed the camper and truck. the camper weight was 13,600, and the truck had 3100 on the tongue, the combination was 23,660. and we got 11 miles to the gallon. so the montana is so far perfect for us. just hope i didn't just jinx myself. this is our first time in outerbanks, i don't want to come back but my wife wants to. the area is nice and the people are a mixture of cultures. we have met french, german, italian, canadian. the beaches are great, beautiful waves.

adamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
A word of advice for the care of your counters. We have found out that the countertop material is NOT heat proof. If you have a heat source (coffee pot, crock pot, griddle) in one place for a while, it will cause the countertop material to expand slightly then contract as it cools. The net result is that you will begin to see ripples in the surface. Out 2008 3075 has begun to show these ripples, so we now place a wood cutting board under the coffeepot, and a teflon type cutting board under the griddle, or crock pot, or any other heat source while cooking.

A professional countertop company can resurface the counters if necessary but why pay that $$$ when a cutting board is cheaper.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The early 2008 had the old style counter tops which where fiberglass. The ones that came out in the fall had Coran tops
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad you are having a good time. Keep doing what you're doing. Having a great time is mostly attitudinal. Two people can go to the same place, one will have a great time and the other will find everything wrong. Good on you two for finding what's right.

We have been full timing in our 2008 340 RLQ since August 2007. Do our counter tops and other surfaces look showroom new? Heck no! They look neat, clean and well cared for while the rig has a comfortable lived in look. This is our home. We clean it and maintain it judiciously. If something breaks (which it will) I fix it or replace it.

If you want it to stay looking showroom perfect, then park it and don't use it. Otherwise, enjoy that rig to the uttermost and don't sweat the small stuff. While there are legitimate complaints, I have read posts here where some folks have nitpicked their way out of having a good time in the recreational vehicle.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree with Stiles wholeheartedly. Recreation vehicles are for recreating and will wear out eventually. We did have our counter tops replaced by the Keystone Service center 2 years after purchase due to cracks in the surface. They are great to work with.......Heed the warning about hot things as we now use hot pads under everything and wife uses something called Gel Coat??? in a pink bottle, on the counter tops. They don't look new but they look pretty good. Have a great time and treat her like a lady and she should last quite awhile......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
We've been breaking in our new unit also. Have you found the third grey tank valve? It took me a while ! We love our unit, the worst thing is trying to figure out how to retire so we can just take off and go !!!
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers and this 06 3400 is far from show room perfect. She has been around.... She's a Rv lady, just a little bit shady, Spending her days on the road. She was a semi good looker but the bad roads they took her now she's trying, just trying, to get us back home.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have never been to the outerbanks either. Have searched campgrounds etc. Just wondering where you are staying and if you like the campground and how close to everything it is. I just can't get a feel of where to stay there to be centrally located to everything. Enjoy your new rig.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
We have spent a lot of time at the Outter Banks over the years as both my wife and I are beach bums. Seeing how you are not happy with the Outter Banks but the wife is. I would suggest you and your wife try Emeral Isle. It is really the southern part of the Outter Banks and we stay at the Holiday Travel Park which has been one of the nicest campgrounds we have stayed at plus you are on the ocean. You are also near Camp Lejeune(USMC)and every now and then you get a great air show overhead. There are places to visit and boat trips to take that are wonderful...
As far as the counter tops all the advice given already covers that subject. Make the wife happy and go to Emerald Isle.. enjoy the new 3455...
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
adamron
Established Member

M.O.C. #10098
We stayed at The Refuge on Roanoke. It was very nice, clean, quite, people were friendly. The sight seeing was very cheap. The most expensive thing we did was the Lost Colony play that was 16.00 each after a $2.00 coupon from our campground. and below our campground was the best fresh seafood to buy at the seafood industrial park. we bought exlarge shrimp for $8.00 a pound. wow it was great after sauting in butter and garlic. the islands are beautiful. free parking to the beach. free parking to alot of places to see. we were amazed at the cost. only prices high were at the restaurants. but we cooked at the camper and only ate out a couple of times while there.
adamron is offline   Reply With Quote