Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Electric Power Outages?

In your camping at campgrounds overall, how often is there a complete power outage? We know brown-outs are fairly common during heat waves, cold snaps, etc. but are concerned about total failures.

When there is a complete outage, in general how long does it last?

I know there will be a large range of experiences, but maybe all of them together will give a picture of what may be expected.

Thanks, in advance, to all who reply.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Larry, I can't really say we've endured anymore than the typical brown outs. You can't predict a complete power outage, even if the weather forecast looks bleak.
The cg we frequent does at times have the brown outs when everyone turns on their air and then goes to the pool, go figure!
My advice is to keep a surge protector in line when at a cg so you can protect your Montana from that power surge!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The only one I can think of happened in Texas last year. A fuse on a transformer feeding the park blew and the power was off 2-3 hours I think.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Larry,

We've not had any TOTAL power outages. We did experience some brownouts in Phoenix about 5 years ago. Actually it was in Mesa. They would institute rolling brownouts beginning every morning about 10am. It was the hottest time in the Valley of the Sun in tens of years. It was hot! 118 during the day and several days when the LOWEST temps were in the low 90s! Did I mention that it was HOT?

One of these days we'll run into the total outage but as of yet not a problem.

That is not counting Quartzsite every January. There we run out of power immediately.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Last year we were in Ohio during the remnants of Hurricane Ike at Wright Patterson AFB and the power blew down for about a full day. We had the Honda and used it when we needed it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We had one in Jan. in Brenda, AZ. It lasted about 6 hours.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had one outage about the beginning of April and lasted about 1hour. It was during a heavy wind and rain storm. We were at Ferndale, WA.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a "self contained" unit.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
A few years ago was camping in Ohio and a nasty thunder storm came threw.It knocked out the power to that KOA for close to two days.And it was sooo hot.Thats when I made the brillent decision to get myself a generator.Its cvome in handy a few times since,but the power outage has only been for a couple of hours or so.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Different campgrounds, usually several hours at a time.

Several times in TX, the "local" electric box could not take the draw nor the direct sunlight hitting it and just got tooooo hot to participate. Outage time, short., less than an hour, at 102, was glad it was not longer.

Another time in TX a palm tree came down outside the park, took out the power for all the park, time out, several hours.

State parks here in Michigan, after tornado hit, once in ohhh, 1980, we had no power for ohhhhh, a good day. They had to bring the prisoners in to remove trees so we could even drive out. Nother one in ohhhhhh, 1998 or so, other side of the state, well over 12 hours, then it was time for us to go home anyway, believe it was well over 24 hours total. Same campground over there, one section would blow out when over loaded, warm weather, air conditioners and 2 frigs per site and bam, out it would go, would stay out for 1 hour, give or take, but may only stay on for 1 hour and bam, gone again.

Sure there are more instances. Lots of times short power bump thingys, off for less than 10 minutes.

If Mother Nature is involved, heat, storms, trees down, you can loose the power.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Power failures and brownouts do not happen as often as they once did. A few years ago it was almost a sure thing that power failures or brownouts would occur on weekends or holidays weekends at crowded campgrounds. Campgrounds have since upgraded their utilities in order to stay in business and provide the services that todays rigs require. We have carried a generator around in the truck for 3 years with the 3400 and never had to use it at a campground for a power failure. I would have to go back to the mid 90's at campgrounds in Southern Ohio to recall brownouts or power failures.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We have had quite a few and they lasted for 18 to 20 hrs. a Honda generator is with us at all times, if we have a brake down on the road we will have power to keep us comfortable also.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We've never had a blackout or power outage. Our problems always came from our own A/C blowing breakers. Never had another problem after we replace the A/C. No more power loss.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In 2008 at the Tom Sawyer Mississippi River CG we lost power for 3 hours. I did have a generator in the 3400Rl and used it. Ruth and Harry were parked next to us and I was concerned about their unit and their little pooch. Little did I know that they had a generator also and I could have easily opened and started it.

I guess my point here is to talk to your neighbors, leave phone numbers, or instructions, should a power outage, or any other thing happen while you are away.

Other than that one time I did not use the generator in any type of situation that "required" it. I did use it when loading or unloading the 3400Rl, but that was for short period of time and infrequently when at the stick house.

Now, in the SOB, when a hurricane forced us to evacuate we were without power for 2+ days and ran the generator continuously until we decided to move a couple hundred miles away to where they had power.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote