Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We have a 4 X 4 Dodge with MS tires on all four wheels and carry a set of chains for the truck and a set of chains for the Monty.

Never used them but better safe than sorry. As for using them in sand I've never heard of this.

I do carry an air compressor and if I had trouble in sand the first thing I would be would be to air down to about 20# on all four tires, if that didn't work I'd go down to 10# or less. This comes from long experience in a Toyota FJ 40.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Growing up in the Sandhills of NE like I did more than once us kids had to go get some "cow Chips" to put under the wheels when we got stuck in the sand, Dad would jack up the car just enough to get them under the wheels--worked everytime, but I remember mom saying "make sure they are dry". Gee, I wonder if they would work under the Monte's wheels? In sand you can get deep real fast if you try to get out after you are "stuck".
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
When we made the emergency trip back to Portland the first of March we ran into slick roads at Mt. Shasta. Chains were required. so chained the TV, went 1/4 mile, highway patrol was stopping & checking all vehicles. I had to put a set of chains on 1 axle of Monty [thank goodness I had them] and was glad because the road had ice w/snow on top. Only ran that way for maybe 5 miles then the road cleared up. In Oregon when it says to carry chains you need to have drag chains too.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #24
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Wild Willy,
What is a drag chain? I've heard of tow chain, and a logging chain. I Goggled what is a drag chain and got cable chains like used on passenger cars. That didn't make sense. Hate to show my ignorance but inquiring minds need to know. BTW I carry chains for the 4x4 and the Monty. Just the slightest side hill on ice will make you a believer. Had to chain up six wheels to get off the hill to go to Quartzsite this January. Ice on 3 curves that had ice in the shade but without chains I am positive our trip would have been cut short. When you live in snow country ya do whacha gotta do to keep the family safe. Chains in sand will just get you buried. Be safe, be prepared.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote