Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
Terrible Tires

I have a 2006 Model 2955 Montana. A couple weeks ago I had two blowouts within 50 miles. Course the spare took care of one of them, but as I only have one spare,I had to request a new tire be provided by Good Sam roadside assistance people. ($250+) I soon found out that the tires on my Montana were an odd ball size and no one within 100 miles of Gainsville Florida had one that size. 235/80/R16E. I had to settle for a truck tire slightly bigger, wrong load range, and (of all things) used.

When I got home I checked with a friend at Tire Kingdom and he did some research and found that it is not a common tire size and is only made by one brand name supplyier, Goodyear. He could get them but he had to ship them down to Ft Myers from Atlanta. The original tires were made in CHINA!!! It was suggested, for reasons of acessability, I change to a more common tire so I replaced all four with a Uniroyle 235/85/R16E. They are only about 1/2inch larger and you can find them all over the place. I kept the original spare.

One other thing he found, My truck tires are 16" 8 bolt with the same pattern as the rims on the Montana. I could have used the spare tire on my pickup in an emergency. I'm towing the Montana with an 2006 Chevy 2500HD Disel Crewcab.

My suggestion is to check availability of your tires and if you have the same problem as I did change sizes to a more common one. Also check the tow vehical tires for compatability.

mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Mike!

The Mission tire issue has been a problem haunting many folks on the MOC. There is a link on the main page under OEM for Tireco. Several folks have got resolution through them for blown Mission tires. If you do a search, you'll see many - many threads on the topic, with one almost 20 pages long.

You were wise going to a LT tire for yours. I only wish I could, but there is no such tire with a 3,500 lb rating that fits that size. (needed for our 7,000 lb axle rating). I'll have to go with G-rated Goodyear tires at almost $390 a piece, whenever the Feds figure out if we are bankrupt or not.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have had 4 blowouts by tire failure, not road hazard. So I empathize with your plight. I have opted for the Goodyear G614 tire. I dumped 4 Mission tires with 4000 on them because of the reports on the MOC and my own experience with China tires.

There are several things I choose to do in an effort to avoid tire failure. (1) I bought tire pressure monitors (Pressure Pro) (2) I purchased an infrared thermometer to quickly check tire temperatures at all stops. I am looking for anomaly. (3) I chose to tow at 58 to 60 MPH. (4) While traveling cross country, I check the tires everyday of travel for anything amiss. (5) Based on the weight of my rig, I run the G-rated tires at 105 psi.

The subject of tires and all that goes with it is subject to controversy. I have reasons for my choices. If you would like for me to expound, PM or email me. Welcome to the forum.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Not that it is any excuse, but the sad fact is that almost every trailer (of an brand or purpose) made in the last few years has similar Chinese tires. Even the Goodyear tires are made in China.

Our '05 came from the factory with U.S. made LT tires, and I have had no problem with them, so I would not be concerned about using LTs, as long as they meet the load requirements for your rig.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
stelrfan

M.O.C. #8065
I have tires on my 05 Mountaineer dated '04 and have had no problems whatsoever. Solid as a darn rock and the reason is clearly stamped on the sidewall...MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!...Folks if you have sorry a@@ china tires, get rid of them now...it's not worth it..if you can afford to own a fiver then you can afford quality tires....end of story!
stelrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stelrfan

I have tires on my 05 Mountaineer dated '04 and have had no problems whatsoever. Solid as a darn rock and the reason is clearly stamped on the sidewall...MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!...Folks if you have sorry a@@ china tires, get rid of them now...it's not worth it..if you can afford to own a fiver then you can afford quality tires....end of story!
AMEN Brother!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree most of the RV's have tires made in China (China Bombs). However the Goodyear G614's are made in the USA. Goodyear does have some tires made in China, but I wouldn't run a 5th wheel with China made tires. I do have Mission and Freestar which is nothing more than a Mission tire, but they are on a Haulmark 30' inclosed and a Gooseneck quipment trailer. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote