Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Heat is the major problems of a Transmissions, keeping them cool will make them last longer. I'm now in Texas and still using the TH mode while in the hill and heavy traffic and the Trans is doing fine and staying at about the same temps. I run at 60 mph and in TH mode at that speed it will stay in 5th gear, and turn more RPMs, I take it out and the RPMs drop and better fuel mileage. As I said before the other Duramax/Allison I ran in TH most all the time, but Diesel wasn't $4.00 plus. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

The T/H is designed to be used when towing and your GCW is 75% or more than your GCWR.

The above is NOT my opinion...it's what GM says in the owner's manual.
Tom, can you please clarify if the manual specifies if this "75%" is a suggestion, recommendation, or requirement? I don't believe they specified this 75% whether or not you are towing up or down a grade vs level towing, or all the time.

I run 100% of the time TH w/ my 2002 LB7 5 sp Allison when my Montana is on back.
Don't have the manual in front of me...but I'm pretty sure it reads like a wrote it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, I'm glad to hear you're happy with your new truck. Tow/Haul is a great feature. I loved it on my Ford and I love it on this Dodge, which also has a builtin factory exhaust brake which makes it work so well that if the grade is less than 6% it slows me down too much.

I run the tow/haul any time I'm towing, mountains, hills, or flat lands. The reason is it keeps the transmission running cooler, which means a longer life. I'll even use the tow/haul when going down grades and not towing. And I use the exhaust brake frequently when at highway speeds. It saves on brakes.

Sorry we missed you on your trip. As we discussed by email our timing just didn't match up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #24
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
After towing all the way from Durango to Estes Park (including the "Peak to Peak Highway") and too many passes to note, I still feel the same way about the Chevrolet as my original post. My mileage is up to 11.7, and I never once felt any lack of control or power. As usual (for me) I used tow/haul on all the passes and rarely any other time.

We arrived in Taos this afternoon. Will be here a couple of days then on to Santa Fe for the second time on this trip.

Photos of Aspen in Color

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote