Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Genesis Air Filtration System

I looked at this filter housing when I first purchased the RV. We recently moved to Rockport, and something here does not agree with my allergies. I found the Genesis Air Filtration System on the Camping World site and was going to order, then I read the only review on the filter. If that review is honest, I don't think it is worth buying. Anyone else have an opinion on it?

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Will, You might look at the Oreck filtration system. We had one but had to clean it often or it popped at night. Wife didn't like it, I thought it worked fine. Don't know anything about the one you mentioned, just offering another alternate......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Will, You might look at the Oreck filtration system. We had one but had to clean it often or it popped at night. Wife didn't like it, I thought it worked fine. Don't know anything about the one you mentioned, just offering another alternate......
We also have the Oreck system. We've found that the popping (caused by taking bad things out of the air) was more prevalent in the midwest (high humidity) than out here in Desert Hot Springs, CA (low humidity). I don't know if humidity has anything to do with it but my wife sure likes the system. With me, that's all that counts. I don't notice any difference in the air, but she does!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Slick,

I looked seriously at one, but I don't think my fan blades on the ceiling fan will clear it. They come within an inch or so of the flush fit intake on the AC now.

Quote:
quote:I don't consider a 1/16 inch thick mesh as being a hepa type filter, (possibly false advertising on Dometics part). This filter is probably not much more efficient than the original foam filter and seals up about as well. As for the dirty filter indicator, just mark it on your calendar since it is only a 6 month timer and has no way of knowing when the filter is plugged. For the additional several inches of ceiling height loss, Dometic could have installed a short duct and a real 1 thick high efficiency paper filter. My take is that it doesn't do anything more than the original filter and duct (already had a washable foam filter, bypass duct option, and calendar). Don't waste your money!
This guy just sounds like a grumbler. I haven't seen the filter, but the thickness of the filter has nothing to do with efficiency of a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter. HEPA has to do with the particulate size that is allowed to pass through it. Thickness (pleating) typically is just a means to increase surface area to allow for a higher cfm to pass through a fixed opening.

As for the timer on the filter, not sure what technology the guy expected for 60 bucks. My Trane electrostatic filter on the stickhouse is also a timer. It works better than a sticky note on the refrigerator

The Orek thse guys are talking about is also an electrostatic filter, totally different filter type than the Genesis. The Genesis is pretty much a fancy holder for a better than original filter that also gives you some indicators for not just the filter but the cowling solar system if Montana actually used it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm no expert, and maybe some AC person can jump in here, but I have been told that as you change filters on AC systems you really need to watch the air flow. Some of these filters that trap all the stuff going through it are really tight meshed and to keep the air flow you need to increase the size of the opening.

As an alternative, what about the air filtration systems that are stand alone? Do they work?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I'm no expert, and maybe some AC person can jump in here, but I have been told that as you change filters on AC systems you really need to watch the air flow. Some of these filters that trap all the stuff going through it are really tight meshed and to keep the air flow you need to increase the size of the opening.
Wayne, the Genesis filter system is a Dometic product and only fits the Dometic/Duo-Therm ACs, so I would assume some level of AC engineering went into it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Engineers! Most of them can't even drive a train!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Let's not get personal guys!

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Thanks for the responses. I'm in the process of getting more info from Dometic on the filter media used in the Genesis system. I don't believe a lot of the reviews I see on the internet, but I sure don't want an aluminum maze media in the unit. At least, not unless it has the electrostatic charge on it. BTW, I installed one of those electrostatic filters at the stick house. The pet hair makes it sound like the fourth of July.

I may also look at the Orek units. I am at a point where I am going to have to do something.

Here is what Dometic had to say:

Will,

The filter on the Genesis is made of high impact polystyrene with antibacterial and antifungal material .

If you are in need of any Dometic refrigerator or air conditioner or A& E awning parts you can call us at 1-800-544-4881 or purchase from any dealer or Camping World location.

If we can be of any future service do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for choosing Dometic product lines.

Customer Support Center
Dometic LLC

Replied very promptly I must say.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You need to consider the air movement in these filters, your stick-house furnace ducting, moves all the air in the house through it around 5 times an hour. (If sized right, fan speed, and all that.)
I installed a 4" thick Pleated HEPA filter system in our home return air ducting, along with a UV light, to kill any bacteria on the evaporator coil. On the trailers, it is hard to move enough air through the filters to cleanse the entire trailer, you would be short-circuiting air, and the bulk of it would be not affected. The electrostatic filters produce ozone, some are sensitive to it, some love it, so it's up to the individual, the air movement also comes into play there.
It looks like the filtering system shown would move some air, but I wouldn't think the entire volume of the trailer. As stated the HEPA filters are best.
I tell my customers to buy the best 3-M filter they make, it is the 'Bomb' a regular size in thickness, pleated and is the best on the market that I know of. I can't buy a better filter wholesale at the HVAC places than that one. (In the 1" thickness size)
I have, and suggest, installing a pleated filter in the return air of your trailers, it will help on the heat mode, or if you run the fan on the furnace to circulate the air through the filter.Because of the pleats, you would be hard pressed to clog one enough to damage anything, although I have pulled some out of ducting that had been in there for years.....not good, change them every 3 month's or so, you will be fine.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ozz, I suppose you're speaking of the electrostatic filter?

I have been shocked how quick the filters on the AC units in our RV get dirty. The one on the rear unit (factory) does not fit very well, so I know a lot of dust is passing through the coils and ducts. The Penguin has two filters, and they fit fairly well, plus it doesn't run near as much as the rear unit. I'll be trying the Genesis. I'll let everyone know how it does.