Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Landing gear question

While sitting around feeling sorry for myself and trying (?) to recuperate from sciatica/back injury, I thought of something that might be a "back saver" for us old guys. My Mountaineer has the standard landing gear with spring-loaded locking pins. Has anyone ever tried hooking a spring from the foot pad to the area above the landing gear, so that the spring would pull the leg up when you pull the pin? I realize there is not a lot of weight involved, but you are in a very bad position "back-wise", leaning over or down on your knees, to pull the pin and lift the leg at the same time. Anyone seen or done this to their fiver?

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Nope, but in 10 minute tech book 3 there are a few suggestions to help make the process easier. One was to attach parts from bicycle handlebars: cut about 8" or more off each side, flatten the cut end, drill through the flattened part, then attach to the leg plates with self tapping screws. Be sure to leave the plastic/rubber caps on the ends of the handlebars. You can use a slightly longer length (remember the banana seat bikes with the long U shaped handlebars?) and then you don't have to bend over quite so much. This helps avoid trying to push up and allows you to pull up--much better on the back. However, check your turning clearance before adding to much length.

Another suggestion was to attach a piece of iron to the peg which holds the spring clip. Cut it so when it is installed it is just short of the exact length as the pin is when extended. You'll anchor the pin head on this piece of metal (twist the pin) until you've moved the leg plates to the desired position. A simple tap will release the spring pin and then it locks the leg into place.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The problem I see with the springs is putting the extension down when you set up.
One thought I have is putting a pully up top on the frame with a rope to the foot letting you pull it up. What you do with the rope when in transport has not been thought through.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When I installed my JTs I noticed that the holes in the inner leg were pointing fore and aft instead of side to side. I was going to change them but my buddy said leave them the way they are because that would give me a handle in front instead of on the side. So that's what I did and it worked out great. It is easy to reach and I am pulling almost straight up as opposed to up and out. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I use a wife. I did install a 3/8" bolt about 5" long in to the bottom hole of the landing gear. This acts as a handle.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wife works for me! She has to have some duties besides cooking, laundry, walking the dog, and nagging!

Edited: It's her fault she does not get on here and read the forum - and my fortune.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote