Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Saw My first Montana FL model

Stopped at a Wally world here in Rhinelander and the fireworks stand guy had his 03 3 slide front living room Montana. That is nice. I notice that they no longer offer a front living model. The only other front living room model I have ever seen was a King of the Road. It had two opposing slides for the living room. I guess that feature wasn't that popular. We have spent many evenings playing Chicken Toes and Mexican Train in that living room. We have traveled with friends who own it the last two years. He wants a new Montana but still can't give up his front living room yet. I was surprised seeing a FL Montana though... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have a friend with one. I liked the big bedroom but the living room needs some more headroom.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I guess the only problem I have with my buddy's rig is that the kitchen has a booth and not a lot of room. One of the main things I looked for when we were buying this rig was a table and chairs, and room for recliners.. Dave
Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It was an FL model Montana that was blown over onto its roof last winter in Gulf Shores. It had three slides on one side, and that may have contributed to its tipping over.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
John, this one had one slide on the road side for the living room ans two on the curb side, one for the bdrm and one for kitchen booth..Dave
Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We looked at the Montana with the front living area and found that we liked the 3400 RL better. I think we looked at just about every floor plan over 5 years. When we visited in Florida I went to RV parks there and still came back home to Austin to the 3400RL.

I think you find the floor plan that fits your life style and you go for it. Our home is open like the 3400RL so I guess we are just creatures of habit.

We are happy traveling in the 3400 stopping at campgrounds for an over night stay without hooking up to the sewer. Will be just outside of Rapid City for three of four days so we will hook up then

Seeing more Keystone products when we camp. Not tons of Montanas, but lots of Keystone labels.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Some one (SOB) made an FK (Front Kitchen) 5ver. It was absolutely beautiful!

I was very impressed with the FL Montana when we first started looking at Montanas. Cheryl was not impressed - end of story. Someone said that the FL models were very "pin heavy" and they thought that was part of the reason for discontinuing this floor plan.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For me there were a number of dislikes in the front living room..
1- No recliners, due to the slide mechanism they used sofas to hide the rails.
2- Head room
3- Pin weight, 1 or 2 sleeper sofas and a large TV adds significant weight.
There are other cons but those were my 3 main gripes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We had one of the first FL Montanas that came out in 03. It was nice but we found out that the living room was too small for visitors. With a divan and two chairs, it took up all of the room. The later models had two divans and no chairs because of the slide mech. Also the kitchen nook slide was small with a table and four chairs. Finally, you had to slide the kitchen slide out a bit to get to the bathroom when traveling. That was the last straw. Our 05 3475 was great. Too bad they dropped it. Now were part of the SOB bunch with a motor home. We still miss our old friends in the MOC.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Our very first fifth-wheel was a used Prowler Regal with front living room with a very nice front window (with cover for travel). It was probably that arrangement that first attracted me to the idea of getting a fifth-wheel. That was a "mid 90s" model which did not have any slide outs, so overall space was small. Looking back I still have very positive memories of that front living room. When we looked to trade, Prowler had just come out with a later model (I think the last they ever tried) with a front living room. It was just too long and heavy for us to consider, so we went with another model and brand.

When Montana offered the front living room, we looked at it, but it was size and weight that made that model not desirable for us. I must also say that the arrangement of the seating did not appeal to me.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We saw a Terry once with the FL. I loved it. It was a very big RV with the 4 slides. One on each side of the living room. Since then we have looked also but no one seems to make them anymore. Finally found our Montana and are very satisfied. But like you, I did like that floor plan also. Seemed more private and removed. The living room area was very large.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Got the FL. Love it! Works very well for us.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
We have an 03 FL. It has done real well for us. TV and bed are well seperated so DW can get away from my TV watching. I did find latley a little crack started in the corner of where the front slide is and was wondering if it was a problem with pin weight (though it dosn't appear to be pin heavy) of if something else is going on. We took out the extra chair in front and that has made it prefect for us. As we never use the kitchen slide for anything than storage and an occasional meal it dosn't bother us. The only draw back I have with this rig is the bed is too close to the closet on my side so it is hard to make. would like to compare notes with you that have these units sometime
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #14
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
the FL is what brought us to a Montana. We fell in love with it at a county fair where they were on display and a year later bought one. Haven't seen one yet that makes me want to go trade.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fordzilla

the FL is what brought us to a Montana. We fell in love with it at a county fair where they were on display and a year later bought one. Haven't seen one yet that makes me want to go trade.
AMEN!
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote