Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Weather Radios

This not to start a war about mine is better then yours. OK? I want to buy a weather alert radio to keep with us traveling and camping and to use here at home. I was looking at the midland with the hand crank because you could use it all of time. I would keep it plugged in at home but in case of power failure I could use battery or hand crank to charge the battery's. We have had some bad weather this year as most everyone knows. The way it has been here it would be going off all the time. Our TV stations here have been great in the weather warnings and it has saved lives for sure. I live in Iowa and for the last 3-4 weeks every night we have been under thunderstorms or floods or tornado alerts.DW says we can get for Fathers Day.

hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mickey,
The hand crank is nice if you are going to experience power outage for a very long period of time, but I personally solved my solution by purchasing a Hand Held CB with built in weather monitor. It operates off of 9 AA batteries, or the car cig. lighter socket. I just find it as viable a solution as a hand crank model, and I have versatility of using the CB when on the road.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
My Sony Walkman has a TV and weather band and lasts WEEKS on two AAA cells. So does my Radio Shack handheld scanner and my 2 meter handheld. These can run on the RV's cigarette lighter or charge through a solar panel. Also, our 6 Motorola FRS radios have weather bands. FRS radios have more usage other than backing into tight spots. We like the radios when the kids cruise with us, we can reach them all over the ship.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Mick,

I have the Eton FR300. It is sold by the American Red Cross, Home Depot, Amazon.com and others. It can be purchased from The Red Cross less expensively than from others. Home Depot and Amazon are about $50.00 and ARC sells them for $35.00. A portion of the sale of this radio goes to support NOAA. On the ARC site, you can read about the radio and other info about NOAA. I have used mine while in Missouri, Nebraska, and Wyoming. I am satisfied with it. The light, alert, and siren also work well.

I also have NOAA on my hand held CB (now hard wired into the cab of my truck). It is a Cobra hand held.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ours is a Midland, believe Al got online??

it has been going off this afternoon.

Currently we move it to the house when it is called for, but usually in Tana, runs on 12 volt, and can run on regular house power too.

Has a battery back up situation so you can move it around and not lose your settings.

Sorry, I do not see a model number on it, Believe OntMont has same model?? Maybe he remembers the model number

We had one from Radio Shack but took it back, cause in Tana it was just tooooooooooo loud, almost blew us away. This one is plenty loud, but not hurt my ears stuff.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ours is a Midland WR-300. We chose it for the reasons Mrs CountryGuy gave, plus it can take an external antenna input which is useful in weak signal areas, like at our house.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We have a midland we bought at radio shack around 9 years ago. It has battery backup and a place of an external antenna. It is easy to setup wherever we go and has worked very efficiently. We have a cobra cb/weatherband we carry in the truck.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Thanks for everyones reply and tomorrow we are going out to look at them. It sure would be going off again tonight. They might be a hard item to find around here. There are now saying that we could be getting floods worse then 93. Where we live here in Cedar Rapids of we get flooded the city would be gone, but then we have the winds. Thanks again and please if you have any more ideas please post.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
skbstone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7371
We have Midlands, model WR 100. Runs on 3 AA or DC. I have one in house and one in Camper. Small and gets great reception.. The alert is pretty loud and will wake you up. We just had a tornado F2 touchdown and go through our city,Omaha, NE Saturday night around 2:30 am. just a few miles where we live, very scary. we would NOT go without an alert... cost $$ around 30.00 well worth the investment.

P.S. No one was seriously hurt just house, tree and electrical damage..

Sharon
Yantis, Texas
skbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with purchasing a radio with an alert feature. I bought a Reecom (area specific codes) with an alert ($53). As it runs on batteries (most do, though) as well as AC, We can just pull it and run to the shelter/bathhouse. It also has an excellent built in telescoping antenna.

We also bought Cobra FRS radios for outdoor use and these also have 10 wx channels.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Mick,
We purchased a fairly cheap weather radio from Radio Shack in CR back in 2000 and it has served us well. I forget the price--seems like it was around $30.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote