Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
klandry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7783
Maiden Voyage 3400RL

Well we finally picked up our Montana about a month ago. It arrived with a three foot crack in the "wood" header in the kitchen. The microwave door had spiral scratches on the surface. That upsets me because I'm always windexing my appliances to remove finger prints and daily spots. The dealer fixed the header and said they replaced the microwave door but the "new" door still had the "same" spiral scratches. I do believe however that he believed that the service department had made the replacement but I knew better. What are those bulges in the side wall of the camper? Take some pictures to send to Keystone. Whoops! The ladder in the back is detached and there is a rather large dent in the rear side panel. Apparently a bucket loader in the lot next to where our camper was parked was used to clear snow in the parking lot. A bucket of icy snow was heaved on top of the existing pile, tumbled down the bank into our camper. More repairs needed. Oh yeah! Some how our keys to the camper are missing so we are given a master key until they can get another lock.

Now to our maiden voyage. We took "Babalu" (our 3400's name - pulled by "Lucee" a Silverado 3500 dually) on a maiden voyage this weekend. We're sort of on our 4th DVD player. The first quit after using it at home 2 times. The dealer borrowed one from another unit and shipped it to us. It arrived with a loose heat sink rattling around in the case. My husband pealed off the do not remove sticker and repaired it. The dealer isn't far from where we intended to camp so we stopped in there on the way as a new improved model DVD and our new lock had arrived for us. On that DVD, the surround sound didn't work and everything in the picture was a shade of blue so we went back to the borrowed one and are now awaiting the 5th but new and improved DVD.

My husband talked to the dealer about replacing the liners for all the lower level compartments as they were loose and misshappen. Also the decal is peeling on the front. Place those parts on order. Okay off to the camp ground.

Let's warm up the leftover beef sandwhichs we had for supper last night in the microwave oven. Nope! That didn't work. Eat them cold. But at least now we can now relax in our recliners. Comfortable but it's time for a stroll so put down the foot rest and let's go. What's this in my hand? The lever for the foot rest and the mechanism is so stiff that the recliner is now fully extended and won't retract.

We drove back to the dealer in the AM leaving the camper at the campground. It was a weekend and we didn't expect there to be any service people on hand and there wasn't except for one guy who had stopped in to change his motorcycle oil. He graciously agreed to return to the camper to make repairs to the microwave and recliner. We now have the new microwave that the dealer thought had been installed earlier. The recliner still isn't fully repaired because the metal bar that the handle attaches to is misshappen. That's on order.

Are disappointed? No! Luckily I've read about all these problems (well not the missing keys) on this web site and because of all the very helpful members, we were expecting these units to fail. By the way, also thanks to this site, we ordered and had installed the JT Stabilizers and the 4 inch foam mattress.

We're back home now awaiting new parts. We love Babalu. We have also been very lucky that our dealer has been so helpful.

klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Sorry to hear about all the problems you’re having with your new unit. I know if it were me I probably wouldn’t have been quite as patient as what you have been. Lots of good to be said for patience such as what you have demonstrated!

Hope you enjoy many years of camping.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
MOC to the rescue! Many who do not have any knowledge of the MOC (or actually any other support group for RVing), become very sour toward this lifestyle, as their expectation are WAY too high regarding their units.

This forum has saved Cheryl and I an incalculable amount of money and pain and suffering. I shudder to think what would have happened if we would have tried to fulltime without this incredible database of knowledge.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I can only say DITTO to what Dave, above, says. "Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!!!" PS: Don't leave home without it!!!!!

It does seem alot of what you have said is probably the dealer not insuring your rig was ready to go. We had a very good experience with our dealer. Hope you don't hold it against Keystone. I think they build a pretty good product, not the best, but the best in this price range for sure.

Once you get the kinks worked out you will probably have many years of trouble free RVing......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We joined the forum about when we got our Montana in 2004. It has been very beneficial in helping to diagnose issues and get things fixed. However, many of the things klandry experienced should have been caught be the dealer. Once again, a good PDI inspection by the dealer followed by a good PDI by the buyer can go a long way toward eliminating the frustrations experienced by many. I hope you have many happy years with Babalu. We have been very happy with our 3400 with very few issues - except when we were in a tornado and I'm pretty sure that wasn't Keystone's fault. Great floor plan.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Satisfaction is headed your way once you get all the problems solved with your unit, but it might take a bit of time. You are right, once you have been a part of the MOC you realize that problems with a new rig ARE going to happen. Ours is now 13 months old and we are still solving some problems, hang in there!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
We picked up our 2008 3400 last Oct. It has been back to the factory twice and spent the winter @ the dealership waiting for parts/repair. Our entire kitchen has been rebuilt from the floor up, we're on our 3rd. Apollo oven! Some carpeting has been replaced twice. We have only spent about 20 days total in our "Lodge". Do we love it,YES, YES,YES! Would we buy it ,again, for sure. Because of the good people on this forum we were prepared for the problems that started the minute we did our PDI. Keystone has been a top notch company to deal with. They have taken every one of our complaints seriously and treated us with such respect. We can't wait to start the camping season soon and hope most repairs are complete. It has been a great advantage to live only 1 hour from our dealer and 30 minutes from Keystone! Klandry, we like your attitude, you are a true Mocer. Paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote