Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
rv and wheel covers

Since Nancy and I weekend/vacation with our 3400rl we were told to give serious thought to covering our "baby" while in storage. Seems like a lot of work for us vertical challenged campers to do during the summer months. I'm interested in our fellow MOC'ers view and what brand/cover type you bought. Also what tricks you employ to "put on - take off" Whew I'm tired just thinking about it.

Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
How long is it in storage? If you are useing it weekly/monthly,I see no reason to cover it. Like a lot of people have said, when you go out a look at new units are they covered? I think if the roof is checked a couple times a year for condition it should be ok.
From what I have been told,the hot sun does more long term damage,due to UV rays then snow will.
I myself,have put up a roof to store it under during the winter months,just to keep a real heavy snow off of it.

On the wheel covers, I would cover them if sitting for long periods of time in the sun. Same as above,UV rays will start to dry out the tires darn SUN...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Many don't like covers, heavy, hard to put on, if they get caught in windy situation they can rub the finish off where ever the cover and your unit kiss.

We did once MANY moons ago on a prior unit, it was oodles of work, it blew off in a bad windy snow storm, we removed and never looked back.

Our advice, spend your hard earned $$ on something FUN for your unit, and ditch the idea of the cover(s).
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Gotta go with Carol here on the covers. But if you decide you must have one, I'll sell you a $500 cover for a real cheap price. Actually, that is my true thoughts on using a cover, spend your money on something "fun" for the camper or dw!
I do cover the tires during the winter but take them off once the Montana starts moving from it's hibernation spot!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As indicated above. RV covers are a huge waste of money. Unless every edge on the RV is totally padded and the cover is on TIGHT it will be torn to shreds by spring. If it is loose it will flap in the wind. It will be rubbing the finish off the Filon up until it is finally shredded or you have bit the bullet and removed it.

Save your money for that high priced fuel and save your back for more enjoyable things.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We don't know if they are good or bad..worth it or not..We never used a cover on any of our 5 Rv's over a 20 year+period and they sat in Northern Ohio snow and ice. We also noted that dealers never cover them in the lot. We would have one under cover if we could.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I was told not to cover the Alum wheels that moisture would cause them to get that white mold stuff that gets on Alum and pit them ? I have covers from my last montana and they are in storage and the slides out cover from most the sun.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
You might consider covered storage. I have a 20 x 50 totally enclosed/locked storgage facility in a boat yard...even has power. Keeps it out of the snow/ice in the winter and hot sun in the summer. Plus if I need to work on it, there is room to open the slides and I'm out of the weather.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Perhaps not a locked storage unit but several folks around here have negotiated with their storage lots to allow 'car port' type metal covers for their rigs. Cost about 3K if you purchase, 25 to 30 per month if you rent, and it is 'staked' into the ground using 3 or 4 ft long pins. Keeps the heavy snow, sun and (more importantly now) hail off. Some even have side coverage as well so you get some protection on the sides as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks, I kinda like the way Carol thinks as well....Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Steve, as you can see from other posters, covering Monty may cause more problems than it prevents.
One thing I do since I am a weekender and don't put all that many miles on is I use 303 protectant on the tires to help with the weathering. It is a UV protectant that does not have petroleum in it so supposedly good for tires.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree on the trailer cover majority, did this on previous TT and it rubbed the paint off. Regarding the tires, cover them as I had that same previous TT tire blew-out and noted the other one on the same side was weather checking. Sun side when parked at stick home yet the two on other side still looking brand new.
Monty sitting waiting to go camping in same spot now, no trailer cover and has them fancy white canvas covers on sun side tires only. I'm part-timer so they go in shed when I hit the road and right back on when I return home.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I bought a cover for our "interim" travel trailer, but plan to use it only during winter storage. We can use it because we have the availability of storing it in an underground mine here in western Pennsylvania. There are several of them around here that offer this service. The cover will just keep off the dust. The mines are very comfortable, dry and wind-free.
This seems to be the only good way to use a cover for an entire unit. When we get the Monty, wheel covers will be the only covers carried forward from our current unit.
Ripped and shredded cover and rubbed-off paint don't sound right for an expensive item like an RV.
JMHO.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've always been of the opinion that if we have to cover our RVs and tires when not in use, why don't we cover our automobiles, tow vehicles, etc.? They sit in the same sun and are subject to the same weather conditions. RV tires deteriorate as well as automobile and tow vehicle tires. Somebody, please enlighten me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I've always been of the opinion that if we have to cover our RVs and tires when not in use, why don't we cover our automobiles, tow vehicles, etc.? They sit in the same sun and are subject to the same weather conditions. RV tires deteriorate as well as automobile and tow vehicle tires. Somebody, please enlighten me.

Orv
If you are a full timeer...everything sits out all the time.

I'm a part timer, when not in use, my car, TV and Montana are all under cover. We had a bad storm a while back, hail, rain, etc...I was glad my RV was under cover in storage.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote