Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Amazing!! Missions held air over winter.

As the last part of the readying process for the initial trip of the year, I pulled out my trustworthy Harbor Freight $2.99 dial type air pressure indicator and applied the dastardly tool to the Mission tire valve stems fearing the worst and fully expecting to have to top off the tires after sitting for four months during the winter. Amazingly (at least to me) all four tires registered 76 psi at 45 degrees temperature. Adjusted to 80 degrees this would result in the pressure being 80 psi (right where it should be). It did surprise me and now I am hoping that I have been blessed with one of the few sets of good missions (if there is such a thing). Still will be buying a pressure monitoring system before the long hauls and will diligently check tires at every trip, every rest stop, and every time I think about it in between.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Obviously tire pressure is important but close visual inspection is too since many of the trailer tire failures are due to tread seperation, not low pressure. Hopefully you can spot this before the tire comes apart.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours hasn't sat in storage but have been in one rv park site for up to two months. The only times I've had to adjust air pressure are when there have been large temperature swings, like yours. At 14,000+ miles they're doing great. I'll keep them until they show me they deserve to be swapped out. I never got this many miles on the Goodyear Marathons that came with our other fifthwheels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
Bingo your mission tires do they have that name on them. My unit came with Nankang tires are tey tne same. And by the way last Goodyear Maraton I got, stamped, Made In China.It was a 15" for my last 5ver. That being said even name brand tires need to be checked.
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Gary,
Mine are definitely the forum maligned, infamous MISSION tires. stamped right on the side, and like Steve, to date (praise the Lord) I have not had a problem with them (I am thinking I have between 4000-5000 miles on them). I still think the secret to any tire, is proper inflation, NOT overloading and monitoring temperature. Every failure seems to be from tread separation, but I have a gut feeling that most of the time one of the three factors listed above are the prime contributor. Don't know about your Nankang's though, but I would treat them the same.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Still running my mission tires, have just over 10,000 on them. They also have held pressure, have been in this park for 5 months and check them monthly, they started at 80psi and read 78psi right now. I have no intention of replacing them until they show me they need to be changed out. Just keep them inspected and the pressure up.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
As I stated on an earlier post about my Mission tires. I thought I was one of the lucky ones to have a good set. I must have had close to 20K miles on them when I was checking the pressure and giving the RV a visual before leaving the Keys and I spotted some cord showing on a small section of one tire. Put the spare on, and took the defective tire to a tire place and it was diagnosed as ply separation.I am religious about maintaining air pressure and keeping a piece of wood between the rubber and the ground. I called Tireco, told them what I had and they sent me 5 new tires, not Mission tires. No questions or hassles. I had to pay for the mounting and balancing, and Tireco sent UPS by to pick up the old tires.
My new tires were not made in China but Bangladesh. Just joking!! They know there is a problem with those tires and it is less expensive to replace them before they cause damage or an accident.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote