Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Quick Question -- Main Circuit Breaker

Good Afternoon:

Getting ready for our maiden voyage (7/10-7/13) with our 2007 2955 RL --

We had a minor set-back - when we (my DW) clocked a pole during our "test" drive, back in April. The unit has been has been repaired and we are rearing to go --

I want to know where the Main Electric cut-off would be --

Is it the "Red Cut-off" in the convienience closet or is it elsewhere -- I want to make sure when we are connecting to Power, I am doing it correctly --

I have purchased two surge superssors (30amp & 50amp)-- many of the sites we are staying at -- will be 30 amp only

Thanks

rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Ray,

If you're talking about 110v, there are 2 50 amp breakers in your electrical panel. As for the Red cut-off, while I do not have the convenience center, I believe it is to disconnect the batteries from the 5er.

When connecting to shore power, I plug the 50 amp cord into the Monty, turn the breakers off at the pedestal, plug into the pedestal and then turn the pedestal breakers on. Reverse for disconnecting.

If your 30 amp surge suppressor is still available to return to the store, I would as you can use the 50 amp suppressor with 30 amps. I use the 50 amp SurgeGuard with the 30 amp pigtail when using 30 amps. The SurgeGuard doesn't know the difference.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In my experience the surge guard is a good investment. We plug the surge protector is first before energizing the camper and let the surge protector check out the pedestal power..then plug in the camper.Alway turn the pedestal power off before plugging anything in and as Mike above indicates there are 2 50 amp breakers in the convertor..The red switch in the docking station is the 12V battery disconnect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Michael:

Thanks for the response -- I'm sure as I work thru things -- I will have some more ?'s
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Occasionally you run into a park that has no breaker at the pedestal. It's live soon as you plug in. In that case we turn off the main breaker on the breaker panel inside the rig. On our 3400 that's in the throne room. I'm not sure where it is in your model. Once plugged in, then we flip the breaker back on.

I have a cheap ($4 or so from Walmart) 110v tester I use to check the park's power. It will show you if it's incorrectly wired or has some other problem. It's in the hardware dept at Walmart. I don't have a surge guard (I know, I should have one). The tester has the standard household three prong plug so I use adapters for 30 or 50 amp connections for the testing.

As Michael said, the red cutoff is to disconnect the battery.

Congratulations on the new rig. Don't hesitate with the questions. Someone here probably has an answer and everyone here is willing to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
This thread has come in handy. I have not been turning the breakers off when plugging in but will start next time we hook up.

Thanks
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote