Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
[quote]quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I know there is a danger of electronics being damaged by surges and low voltage but we've had our rig for 4 years now and so far no problems. We do not have any special protection. I know that one of these days I'll get caught and have the problems but so far so good. If you look at the numbers that are out there that do NOT have the AutoFormers and surge protectors I'm sure they will be in the majority.

I do monitor the electric in our rig and will turn off appliances if the voltage drops too low. But that is about as far as I go.

Most often I get the best electric supply when I run my little Honda 2000i.

I will tell you that we have been in CGs that have had all kinds of problems with electric power. Either because of bad wiring or just overloaded systems! One of the worst instances was in Mesa Arizona. While staying at one of their county parks every day at 10am they would institute a rolling brown out. This would cause my AC to NOT have enough power to run the compressor.

We finally moved to another park that did not have this problem and all was OK again. Even with this kind of abuse no electrical appliances had any problems.

Thanks for all the interesting information on this subject.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #23
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I have a Surge Guard that protects the system when voltage drops below 102V or rises above 132V for 8 seconds. How would an Autoformer help?
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #24
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Your Surge Guard removes power from the RV if the preset limits are exceeded. An autoformer acts as a buck-boost transformer that regulates the power at the pedestal to ensure it is 120 VAC meaning that a 109 VAC power input would be raised to 120 VAC and a 125 VAC input would be reduced to 120 VAC.

If you have the means, hook the autoformer to the power pedestal then the Surge Guard to the autoformer then finally the RV shore power cable to the Surge Guard. This would pretty much cover you in any situation but it seems overkill unless you're camping in some pretty scary locations.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #25
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
[quote]quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
Originally posted by MAMalody

The adapters take care of that. For example, when you plug into 30 amp CG power, the other end of your cord is a plug that fits into the 50 amp input to your rig, so you don't have 240 there with the 50 to 30 amp adapter.

Orv
Duh, why didn't I think of that?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote