Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Fifth wheel hitch maintenance

As much of a fanatic as I am about maintenance of my vehicles, I am ashamed to say I totally neglected our old 16K fifth wheel hitch. Five years of use and I only maintained the visual surfaces and occasionally sprayed some white lithium grease on the jaws.
So last week I decided to pull the hitch out of the truck to dismantle and inspect all the parts. What I observed was a little more than frightening. I found lots of rust; grooves warn into shafts and pins, stretched and stressed metal parts and two very rusty welds that were starting to crack. All of this could have been prevented if I would have kept parts painted, rust free and all pivot points, shafts and bolts lubricated.
I ordered a new Husky 4 way pivot 24K hitch. It will arrive Wednesday and you better believe I will pay attention to this one. I ask the vender I purchased it from to send a maintenance guide. Something the dealer never gave us or explained.
Now I have a worn out 5er hitch in my shop that I don’t know what to do with. It’s too big to be a paper weight. Guess I will have to haul it to the dump.

Ed

Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ed I like your map but how did you get to Idaho without going through any of the states in between? BTW we had our old hitch about 12 years - Ed painted and greased and it was still in good shape when we traded in. We decided the new TV should have a new hitch. So maintenance is important. Good post.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Ed

There is another thread talking about maps. Make the map here http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/ than copy it to what ever site you use to post pictures.

We did stay overnight at 3 highway campgrounds on the way out & back to Idaha. I didn't concider them a place we realy stayed at.

Ed
Old 01-14-2006, 01:44 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great recommendation, Ed, and thanks for the link to the map.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Ed:
I noticed that you have a Demco glide ride pin box. How do you like it? My wife has been complaining of headaches whenever we encounter a highway that causes the trailer to pitch forward and back. We saw one of these on a Hitchhiker and thought it would be the answer to her problem. Where did you get it and if I may, how much did it cost to install? Thanks for the info.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Ed,

I had the same concern about my Draw Tite slider hitch expecially since I found a rusty spring in the bed of my truck. I looked at my manual and sure enough there were two springs in the diagram and only one inside the hitch.

I called Cequent Towing Products(800 326-1090) and they sent me two new springs free of charge. They said that the springs were not essential to proper locking and only make unlatching an latching a little easier.

I always keep a film of WD-40 on the hitch to ward off rust. My hitch is still in good condition. Any questionable part can always be ordered from Cequent rather than replacing the hitch.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Gary & Carole,

I bought it directly from Demco. http://www.glide-ride.com/ It is everything it claims to be. I really didn’t like the jerking caused by stop and go traffic or bumpy roads. Check out the video on the attached site.
The model they sent has the same serial number as the Lippert pin box that came on the Monty. It has the same exact dimensions, length and height, as the original one. Installed it myself. Very easy, it took about an hour with help from a friend.

Ed
Old 01-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Ed:
Thanks for the feedback. I can't find a number on the pin box I have on our 2005 3400rl. I probably should get hold of Keystone.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Bighorn, thanks for the sage advice on keeping up with maintance on hitches.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Received the new 24K hitch today. After assembling it, I took it for a 30 minute trial run. This one is much heavier than the old 16K.
I feel better now.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bighorn,
Looks like a really nice heavy duty hitch. Hope it gives you years of worry free traveling.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Bighorn

I also have the Demco Glide Ride pin box my wife and I really like it, I installed it myself.

cargary

The Lippert 1621 long box can be replaced with Glide Ride 8250008. Larry & Lavonne