Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Pictures of Fire Damage

Hello Everyone, For some reason the other post of the pictures got lost so here they are again.

Picture of hole where wires were;

Burned wires and hoses;

After removing battery;

More wires;

Wires hanging under the RV;

More wires and large hole in gray tank;

Exposed wire in propand area;

Exposed wire in Hitch

Wires on converter inside front door;

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My post in regard to the pictures got lost also. I do not observe the protective insulation that should be around the hole that the wires go through..Was it there or was it burned away.If it was not there and should have been..there is a BIG problem.We did note on our factory tour that there WAS protective insulation around holes through the frame.In the industry that I worked in when there was a "incident" of this nature we did a in depth investigation to determine the "probable cause" then took steps to see that the contributing factors to the incident were reduced or eliminated. Remember this was a potential life threatening incident and the cause should be determined and corrected...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:01 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
For everybody's reference, Pics with the edge guard properly in place:

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
JP, sure wish mine looked like yours.

Rich, There was nothing there to burn away.If there had been I would not be in the fix that I am right now.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

JP, sure wish mine looked like yours.

Rich, There was nothing there to burn away.If there had been I would not be in the fix that I am right now.
My thought is that The edge guard, (as pictured) SHOULD have been there.Had it been there the wires would never have shorted out. The Question..WHY was it not there is a question that should be directed to Keystone and If it was NOT on yours there is a chance it is also NOT on other units and that "chance" has to be addressed...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Linda, this makes me wonder if an investigation such as Rich suggests has not already happened due to a similar incident and Keystone is now making adjustments such as the ones in JP’s pictures.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpbcny

For everybody's reference, Pics with the edge guard properly in place:

JP
JP where are your batteries?

TT2
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
My (1) Battery is located just out of the picture (to the left), why they left this space between the battery box and the sidewall I don't know (maybe for easier access to the hose/wire porthole), but I use the space for storage of extra water hoses.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think any of the older Montanas had any insulation on that hole. Ours didn't. It does now, but it didn't until I saw Linda's pictures. It is not difficult to insulate if anyone with an older rig wants to do that. I just used a chunk of tubular foam insulation intended for water pipes, available at Walmarts everywhere, Home Depot, etc. It is slotted and fits very nicely. A two minute fix.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
prariepoodle,
My take on this is that the short in the wiring occured at the point of burnt wire the most distance from the battery and melted from there back to the battery. The more wire length, the more resistance, the more heat developed over a longer area. OHMS Law (E=IR). If the wire had shorted right at the battery the rest of the wiring wouldn't have had any current in it and wouldn't have burned. My guess from your pictures is the power converter shorted and burned from there back to the battery. It seems there should be some safety fuse or circuit breaker that would have prevented that though. Let us know what you find out.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #11
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
Here's another possibility that just came to mind. If the power converter had failed and tried to put a high voltage to the battery charge circuit the battery would present a low resistance at the end of that circuit and the overcurrent could have caused enough heat to melt the insulation on the wiring causing the fire.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote