Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
TjHathaway

M.O.C. #27043
Another heat question....

Hey all! We have a 2020 372rd. Does the 372rd have a heatpump and a gas furnace, or just a gas furnace?
All the A/C duct is in the ceiling while the heat duct is in the floor. I've never felt heat coming from the ceiling. Are they ducted together or what?

Thanks!

TjHathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
The heat pump puts air out of the ceiling.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A heat pump is essentially nothing more than an air conditioner running in reverse. And the warm air comes out the same ductwork as the cool air.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
TjHathaway

M.O.C. #27043
I understand the functionality of a heat pump but I am wondering if the 372rd or not.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Chad R
Established Member

M.O.C. #25606
Mine does.

The rear AC has Heat Pump which will come out of the ceiling vents and the front is AC only.

The kitchen thermostat should control the AC/HeatPump and Furnace.

The furnace heat is through the floor registers.
Chad R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
TJ, if you have the same thermostats as we do on our 3791RD, then they will show "Heat Pump" as one of the modes you can select on the zone 1 unit, usually the kitchen. According to the Dometic rep I have been working with, the "Heat Pump" option on the kitchen thermostat only shows up if you actually have a heat pump setting in your main A/C unit. Unfortunately, the confusion with "Furnace" showing up in the bedroom is another story. You see the option, but it doesn't control anything. Only the zone 1 unit in the kitchen controls the furnace.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
We do not have your trailer model but we do have the same setup it sounds like. Kitchen thermostat controls furnace, AC and heatpump. Rear, or bedroom, thermostat is the same thermostat, same functions, but the heat pump doesn't run anything. Heat pump/AC from ceiling vents, furnace from floor vents.

Be aware that the heat pump will stop functioning when it gets to cooler temps; our is about 42 or so and the heat pump experiences a reduction in performance and will quit putting out heat altogether. If it's going to be cold, just put it on furnace before you go to bed. I don't like getting up in the middle of the night freezing to make that change and unfortunately the Dometic thermostats (CT) will not make that change for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Sourdough, I just learned that if you set up a small ceramic electric heater in the living room area near the return for the heat pump, it will continue to work well al the way down into the teens without having to use propane. Essentially, the heat pump is just circulating the warmer air. I was just in WV for hunting season. Temps got into the teens an low 20's. With the heat pump and a small ceramic electric heater, I never needed to use the furnace. Sometimes I did also use the fireplace heat though.
I have thermometers in the basement passthrough and underbelly. Temps never got below 48 degrees. No problems or concerns with freezing pipes.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Sourdough, I just learned that if you set up a small ceramic electric heater in the living room area near the return for the heat pump, it will continue to work well al the way down into the teens without having to use propane. Essentially, the heat pump is just circulating the warmer air. I was just in WV for hunting season. Temps got into the teens an low 20's. With the heat pump and a small ceramic electric heater, I never needed to use the furnace. Sometimes I did also use the fireplace heat though.
I have thermometers in the basement passthrough and underbelly. Temps never got below 48 degrees. No problems or concerns with freezing pipes.

Thanks! Yes, we have been using the fireplace but may move to the ceramic heater option. Puppy loves to sleep in her bed in front of the fireplace with a fan on low. We're concerned if we turn off the fireplace she will want to come sleep with us so she can be in front of a fan....and SHE believes the entire bed should be for her and the humans should really sleep on the floor... But we also worry about running the fireplace all night all the time and the longevity of a Furrion unit. Decisions.....
Old 12-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
TjHathaway

M.O.C. #27043
The thermostat does not ever show "heat pump". It only says "heat". I know the bedroom is only ac. Heat is not even shown on that one.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
TJ, do you have the Dometic A/C with the capacitive touch thermostats? That's what ours are. I am guessing yours must be a different system.
Maybe they use different units for the MHC models? Sounds like you probably only have AC and furnace, no heat pump.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
TjHathaway

M.O.C. #27043
Thats what I'm thinking too. I believe its Furrion. Thats what everything else is in it.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
Option 65
Established Member

M.O.C. #23154
TJ
We have a 2019 3120rl so it is not the same unit you own but maybe our experience with our main living area A/C unit Could be relevant to your situation. We had our unit delivered from the dealer / factory with the incorrect model a/c unit for the main living area. We were supposed to have a heat pump and when I checked out the related thermostat found out that it only showed two operational modes. Furnace and a/c but no heat pump mode. Further investigation revealed that the factory installed the wrong unit on the roof. Our dealer jumped through many hoops to finally get Keystone to replace the unit. Long story short, once the unit was replaced, the exact same thermostat registered the “heat pump” mode and now we have a fully functional heating and air conditioning system.

You may want to make sure you are supposed have a heat pump in your main living area and make sure you got what you paid for. We are proof that it does happen!

Also, don’t necessarily believe your build sheet. Ours said we got a heat pump but physical observation proofed that not to be the case.
Option 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #14
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjHathaway View Post
The thermostat does not ever show "heat pump". It only says "heat". I know the bedroom is only ac. Heat is not even shown on that one.
My 2021 HC says 'Heat' and 'Electric' when the heat pump is on. It will also say 'gas' when it's using both heat pump and the furnace at the same time. This will happen when the actual temp is five degrees below the commanded temp.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #15
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
OP I think it would be very helpful for members if you would post the AC and thermostat manufacturers and models. The AC/heat pump units require a thermostat made for them. Various models have different functions. Folks are kind of shooting in the dark especially since I've read Keystone is moving from Dometic units to Coleman in some models. Info is critical for accurate help.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Robert-- Maybe I've missed it the posts but you do not want to count on your heat pump to run and heat the unit even if you put a heater in the living area to keep the heat pump working. You want to make sure the furnace runs even if you set the temp on 55 or so. The furnace has a duct that goes into the underbelly to provide heat to that area and help keep the pipes from freezing when the temps drop below 45 which is the main temps that the heat pump drops it's serve of providing heat. Yes you can keep the heat pump going by using the small electric heater in the living room BUT it will not provide enough heat to the belly for the pipes there.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:00 AM   #17
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Rondo, you didn't miss it. I agree and was concerned about the pipes freezing. That's why I got remote thermostats to put in the basement and under belly, so I could monitor the temps. I was keeping the inside temp living area between 60 and 65. Basement and under belly never got below 48 degrees. My thermometer has an alarm which I set at 48 so I would have time to kick in the furnace if needed. I wish my unit would switch from heat pump to furnace automatically, but it doesn't.
The area where I was is quite remote and there is no where close to have tanks filled, so I was trying to not use propane unless absolutely necessary.
Not sure if this is common on other models, but ours has the pull out "garage" under the living room (rear den). The floor register is open between this area and the living room. I'm guessing this allows at least some air flow through to the under belly. I only ran the furnace about 2 hours when I got there to break the chill. Stayed over 2 weeks and never turned it back on. We did have some days in the 40's but nothing I would say is very warm. They must have done a good job insulating the "4 seasons" package on mine. lol.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #18
TjHathaway

M.O.C. #27043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nard Dog View Post
My 2021 HC says 'Heat' and 'Electric' when the heat pump is on. It will also say 'gas' when it's using both heat pump and the furnace at the same time. This will happen when the actual temp is five degrees below the commanded temp.
So it only shows "heat" and "electric" if its 5 degrees below what i have it set at? If so, maybe thats why I have not seen it. I'll check it out when I set it up for Christmas.
Do you have Furrion or Dometic? Mine is all furrion.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #19
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nard Dog View Post

It just occurred to me (don't know why it didn't the other day); what kind of thermostat/heat pump/AC do you have? Sounds like yours operates differently than the Dometic units if it will run the heat pump and furnace at the same time from what I've seen/know. I was talking to the engineers that make the MicroAir thermostat (which I purchased) and asked why they could not make a MicroAir that would let the thermostat kick in both the heat pump and furnace when the temps go too low. He said that is what they do for Coleman units because that is how they are set up and would look into a mod for the Dometic units.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #20
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Sourdough, you will let us know if they come up with a fix so we can run the furnace and heat pump at the same time? If they can do that, that would be great! Right now i use the electric heaters and heat pump unless it gets in the 20’s or below. I’ll turn on the furnace at night and run the heat pump again in the day. I carry an extra 30lb. tank so I have never run out of propane, and I don’t camp much in that kind of cold weather. Between the electric heaters and heat pump we can keep it 75 all day long. I supposedly have the “cold weather” package but not sure how much it really helps. Stay warm!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote