Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
leahbill
Established Member

M.O.C. #21989
Leaf Spring Problems

This past week my husband and I discovered a problem with the axle while towing. The spring bolt broke on the rear axle, rear mount, passenger side. Called Good Sam for service. Mechanic said 4 days prior he had experienced the same problem on another Keystone. While servicing us he had another call for the same problem on a Montana. Anyone experiencing the same problem? The part needing replaced has been discontinued which leads us to believe that Keystone is aware of a problem with this part. It is a Mor-ryde CRE 300 suspension system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Pic 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	4231   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 pic 2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	4232  

leahbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
A wet bolt should be available from etrailer or another trailer specialty place. Are you still stuck on the side of the road somewhere?

Can't tell what the age of your trailer is. Might be worth taking a good look at the springs and other attach points to see if others are close.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
leahbill
Established Member

M.O.C. #21989
2016 Montana. Should not have happened,if part was discontinued there should have been have been a superceded part available. Extremely dangerous situation. Want to know if others have had same problem. Keystone needs to know.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
As you read the forum, you will see many instances similar to yours. Your need to regularly lube and inspect your suspension.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
leahbill
Established Member

M.O.C. #21989
Done. We're trying to find out if others have had the problem. We maintain our RV from the outside in. This could be a recall issue and want to help Keystone.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahbill View Post
This past week my husband and I discovered a problem with the axle while towing. The spring bolt broke on the rear axle, rear mount, passenger side. Called Good Sam for service. Mechanic said 4 days prior he had experienced the same problem on another Keystone. While servicing us he had another call for the same problem on a Montana. Anyone experiencing the same problem? The part needing replaced has been discontinued which leads us to believe that Keystone is aware of a problem with this part. It is a Mor-ryde CRE 300 suspension system.

Actually, the CRE suspension is only the equalizer between the front and rear spring pack, and is made by MorRyde. The Correct Track system, with those yellow alignment plates is made by Lippert. Who makes the shackle plates and bolts is anyone's guess.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A spring hanger bolt failure is common throughout the towed RV lines, not limited to a Keystone trailer. Up until recently, manufacturers used a nylon bushing with a through bolt. Needless to say that the nylon bushings don't do a good job surviving . When that bushing fails, you end up with metal to metal contact. If you check the condition visually, you can usually catch the bushing failure and prevent eventual bolt breakage. The usual 'fix' is to install a Dexter or MORryde wet bolt mod and to grease those bolts occasionally. Lippert also has a polyamide bushing that is supposed to be even better since the wet bolts are also prone to eventual failure, wearing their bronxe bushings. I'm giving the Lippert bushings a try now after wearing out the original nylon and the first set of wet bolts completely and the second set well on their way - and in 22,000 miles.

If it's a Correct Track part, you need to call Lippert (LCI) as that is an aftermarket mod.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
I see in your top picture you have the potential of the same problem I had. Your white brake wires are laying against your springs. Going down the road the wires will swing back and forth and will wear through the insulation shorting out your brakes. I wrapped mine with wire loom.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
You should be able to get a new shackle from any trailer supply house. Take measurements. Biggest issue is cutting off the old one and welding in a new one.

Don't ask me why I know. At least I caught it before the bolt broke.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Age old issue with leaf spring suspension bolts. The hanger itself looks ok... oblong shape is there to allow movement of volt within the yellow plate... that’s missing ... this is how the springs are moved to allow for alignment of axle toe in toe out.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
The Missing LCI alignment plates are still available from LCI broken spring bolts are not uncommon they hold all the weight of the Rig to the spring you should check all the bolts on your suspension at lest once a year if not more depending how much you travel. Keystone didn't build the parts they just installed them. It's up to you to check them.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I found the parts available online and are not very expensive. KS won't help you with this one as it's a routine maintenance item. You'll need to have the spring hangar replaced or have the bolt hole welded and drilled as it is worn. I'd recommend checking all the other mounting points for excessive wear. I noticed the last time I was in CW that they do the laser alignment and adjustments for the Correct Track product.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
JanChambers

M.O.C. #21355
Quote:
We had the bolt shear off and lost part of the leaf spring while on the road too with our 2013 3402RL. Very scary! Thankfully, we were caravaning with 2 other units. They did some creative engineering and got us on the road with a block of wood and straps. When reaching our destination, we visited a hardware store and got u-bolts to keep us together to get home. Had a relative-mechanic come to our house to replace both sides and brakes, repacked bearings, etc and we are now safely traveling again. (Would be helpful if original walk thrus should school on things to regularly inspect.)
Old 07-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #14
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Remember the dealer makes a Lot of money fixing those things that aren’t maintained... Of course not ALL dealers are like this, but sadly some are. They also don’t hire the sharpest knives in the drawer! SO we don’t always get all the information we need simply because THEY don’t know it either.

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #15
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
We just experienced a similar problem. I have the LRE 4100 suspension with wet bolts and bronze bushings; they were greased just before the trip. My Montana is two years old and has about 15k miles on it. Half way up the Cassier Highway one of our spring hangers completely broke off from the frame. We were several hundred miles from the nearest garage, but we couldn't move the trailer anyway. It took us over two days to find a welding truck to come to our camp site and make a temporary repair so we could get back on the road. We have an appointment in a couple of days with a reputable shop to make permanent repairs. Needless to say, I'm not very confident now. I'll have them check all the attachments and perform an alignment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Hanger 1 -2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	4356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Hanger 3 -2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	4357  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #16
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
This is a common problem mostly due to bad roads and heavy loads. I always carry a few spare bushings and and shackle bolts. I have been known to just stop at an auto dealer and pick up a truck spring shackle bolt, use it and just keep on going down the road.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
OURS had the same thing happen, rear spring, rear bolt.. Lost the STOP SIGN ADJUSTERS AS WELL... THIS should NEVER happen... They need to install 9000 lb Axel... as well NOT BUY THESE BOLTS FROM CHINESE!!!This is a Public safety issue... NO '" THE ALL DON"T DO IT"...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Some of us need to take a breath. broken bolts and spring hangers happen, regardless of what brand.

heck, springs break and come apart, life happens. just make sure you have extras with you....that will help the situation.

here is a whole list of 'other' brands having issues.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rv+problem...176-7_p&ia=web
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
This leaf suspension system is the weak link. Not to imply that IS is the cure all to end all suspension issues but it sure is a very big step in the correct direction. In addition having the option to upgrade the axle capacity at the same time to provide a bit beyond the minimum manufacturer specification is a no brainer. Too many weak points of failure in the current lead suspension system as currently supplied by OEM. September can’t get here soon enough for me. 😏🤭
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Some of us need to take a breath. broken bolts and spring hangers happen, regardless of what brand.

heck, springs break and come apart, life happens. just make sure you have extras with you....that will help the situation.

here is a whole list of 'other' brands having issues.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rv+problem...176-7_p&ia=web
Never ever another did it... NO Cars, no trucks and no other RVs .Please don't make excuses for bad materials...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote