Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Here what I have

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1605055830
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	7752  

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Dexter axle manual clearly states EZ lube feature doesn’t replace requirement for annual service and inspection...

I do my own work so my cost is less than $20 each year... don’t have the coin to spend on disc brake conversion. My OEM setup works great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	961ED82E-E6F9-452A-B40C-C22766E203EA.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	7753  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #23
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
OK, here goes. I don't what opinions, I want facts. The last time I had a wheel bearing service was April 2019. That year we put on less than 500 miles and in 2020 less than 400 miles. For the Spring of 2021 is a complete bearing service required. If this virus crap goes away we may hit the road, safety is always a major concern. I just don't want to waste the money if not needed. Thanks
Hard to say. Opinion: If your bearings were packed properly I don't see the need to repack for 2021. I've never subscribed to the "requirement" to repack every year. Fact: I've gone 2-3 years on many RVs and boat trailers without having a failure. I do suggest using an infrared thermometer to check each wheel every time you stop. If you get, for example, 150° on three wheels and 200° on the fourth, chances are you have a hot bearing or maybe a brake issue that should be checked out.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #24
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
...... What's the consensus on repacking? Do it the old fashioned way (grease in your palm)...... how much grease will I need?......
I just did mine in my palm, less than 1 container of grease, and four cans of brake cleaner to eliminate the brake dust.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #25
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
FACT: Service not required. (Ref Keystone owners manual 37-12b para 1).
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #26
jubzexcel
Established Member

M.O.C. #14546
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
OK, here goes. I don't what opinions, I want facts. The last time I had a wheel bearing service was April 2019. That year we put on less than 500 miles and in 2020 less than 400 miles. For the Spring of 2021 is a complete bearing service required. If this virus crap goes away we may hit the road, safety is always a major concern. I just don't want to waste the money if not needed.

Thanks
We have ours checked once a year, always in October before we head south. Some friends don’t & have terrible luck. ie; flats, fire, axels coming off, terrible damage to rig. worth $$ & peace of mind to have checked
jubzexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #27
jubzexcel
Established Member

M.O.C. #14546
have ours checked once a year, always in October before we head south. Some friends don’t & have had terrible luck. ie; flats, fire, axels coming off, terrible damage to rig. worth $$ & peace of mind to have checked
jubzexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #28
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Speaking of repacking bearings. I'm getting ready to do mine next week before a Thanksgiving trip. What's the consensus on repacking? Do it the old fashioned way (grease in your palm) or use one of those grease packing tools. Another question is how much grease will I need? Will one (1) lb. container be enough, or should I have two?
Personally I do all my bearings the old fashioned way. Used to use bare hands but now I use nitrile gloves.

Works just as well and I don't have another tool laying around. If it were me I'd get two and save the receipt.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #29
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Last year, I towed 10,000 miles across the US and into Canada. I had my bearings checked on returning, and the tech said they were in excellent condition. Properly packed bearings can go a long distance.

I still have bearings checked every year as part of our state inspection just in abundance of caution.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #30
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Facts are probably hard to come by for such limited mileage. If it were me, based only on the mileage, I'd say no need. Likewise, if it were me, based only on the elapsed time, I'd do it. While the grease may still be good and there may be enough of it in the races to keep the bearings properly lubricated, there is always the concern about the grease seals being sound and keeping grease off the brake linings. Rubber seals do not like heat or time.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #31
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We recently bought a used Montana 5th Wheel and I asked the previous owner if he ever packed the wheel bearings and he said no, but he does grease them frequently. I have used trailers in my construction business for years and never worried about the repacking the bearings and never had any issues. We just put 5400 miles on the 5th wheel in October. I greased the bearings before leaving on the trip and greased them once about half way through the trip. One thing to do on a trip of any distance, when you stop for fuel check the wheel hub to see if it is overheated. If a bearing is going bad the hub will be hot to the touch. During our trip i could touch the hub with a bare hand and no issue. That being said, I am having the wheel bearings on my 5th wheel inspected and repacked this week, along with new tires. I am doing this for my own peace of mind since i don't know the exact history of the trailer. Once that is done i will keep the bearings greased on a regular basis and not worry about it again. If there is any wear on the current bearings i will have them replaced. The last thing you want to do is throw a bearing while on the road.
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #32
Khanscel

M.O.C. #19505
You are correct with electric brakes. I have found problems every year I do them with my Dexter brakes which are supposed to be warranted for 5 years. But good luck getting someone to reply from dexter. Even my friends trailer repair shop can’t get them to reply
Khanscel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #33
beekeeper.va
Established Member

M.O.C. #11864
IMO, EZ lube should be outlawed. I have opened up brakes on many trailers at rallies and found the brakes greased. And pumping 30 strokes of a grease gun into EZ lube will get you sooner or later. The grease is pumped into a hole between the inner bearing and the seal. The hydraulic pressure to push grease through the bearing is enough to push the seal out. And then, the outer bearing cannot get grease from EZ lube UNLESS you fill the entire hollow cavity between the bearings with grease. In that case, the probability of a greased drum is high. The pressure within a cavity filled with grease when it gets hot will either remove the seal, the EZ lube cover or the bearing cover.

I hand-pack if doing one wheel's bearings. Anymore than that, I get out the bearing cones. They are kept in a sealed bucket, wrapped in shop towels to keep them clean in between uses.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #34
Al & Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27372
So, beeje stated that he would "pump 30-40 pumps of grease in while rotating the wheel" and speedster100 said that he would "pump about 3 shots of grease" into the ezlube. What is a good amount of grease to pump into the ezlube?
Al & Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #35
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
lol, the answer is simple to this bearing packing deal.
First, if you know what you’re doing , do it yourself. Dont pay someone to do it.
Second, follow the procedure designed by the manufacturer.
But before you jump all over me, why would not do it this way?
There are some that will say that they did it this way at 3000 miles and then a year later pulled the bearing and found blue on bearings and axles.
Think about this . How much grease do you think Dexter puts on that bearing during assembly . I’ll tell you , not much. Enough to get it wet. If when you picked up the 5er and used the easy lube fitting before the bearing was heated it would have been different. How much heat was generated on the trip from Elkhart , Indiana to, in my case,Florida.
If your worried about the grease leaking out the back seal don’t. Jack the wheel off the grand, spin the wheel as you grease it if it comes out the front, there can’t be enough pressure on the inner seal .
And while u have the wheel in the air check for bearing tightness .
If you still want to pull off each wheel one bearing an an axle in about 1000 had a defect, then go do it .
I’m 68 years old and have doing this stuff since I’m 12. 27 year inspecting heavy trucks and trailer .
Don’t shoot the messengers.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #36
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al S. View Post
So, beeje stated that he would "pump 30-40 pumps of grease in while rotating the wheel" and speedster100 said that he would "pump about 3 shots of grease" into the ezlube. What is a good amount of grease to pump into the ezlube?
I don't know what the correct number is but it's certainly not 3.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #37
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Many years of maintaining industrial equipment in various plants, over greasing caused far more problems than under greasing. Most rotating equipment requires periodic greasing (one to three shots) quarterly. This is on equipment running 24/7, if you are pumping 30 to 40 shots of grease into a wheel you are going to push the seal out and damage the brakes. But do what you want, touch wood I've never had a bearing issue on a trailer in 40yrs of towing....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #38
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
And in a nutshell, there you have it.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #39
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The only time I had an issue was after I had a Shop do the Bearing repack. In less than 200 miles a bearing over heated and melted the plastic cap, saw the smoke and pulled over.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #40
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I jack each wheel up individually at the beginning of the season and check for play and listen for a rough bearing. I have a stethoscope I hold on the end of the spindle and that works great. Then I shoot 6 or 8 shots into the easy lube zero WHILE SPINNING THE STILL ELEVATED WHEEL as the manufacturer instructs to avoid pushing the seal out.

I then use a needle to shoot grease into the cage of the outer bearing. I can get the needle past the washer. (I also use the needle method to pack bearings when required.)

That way both bearings have fresh grease without taking the hub apart or pumping the hub full of grease... that’s just wasteful in my opinion.

While the wheel is off the ground if you have help, you can check brake operation either with the TV or by pulling the safety cable.

Doing this I have towed thousands of miles without a problem. Like some mentioned, I have an IR thermometer and check hubs every time I get out. That’s a good idea to catch a real problem before it gets out of hand.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote