Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2023, 11:12 AM   #21
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Coming late to the party with a couple comments on the truck and trailer (which might start some discussion or debate).

Regarding a shortbed truck, your trailer GVWR will be about 16K lbs if/when fully loaded. You might check the max cargo capacity sticker on the truck driver door frame and see if it matches your expected carry weight. We have a 3231CK with a 16K GVWR and used 20% hitch weight and that put us close to being over on shortbeds so although it comes with some hassles, went with a long bed.

Had the truck and trailer weighed on certified scales and was surprised to find with no fresh water and flushed gray and black tanks that the hitch came in at 3300 lbs with the trailer weighing in the 13.5K range (will full tank of diesel + driver). We don’t boon-dock yet so we travel pretty empty.

Just in case it matters in other states, we live in CA (I know, I know) and trailers over 15K GVWR require a Class A recreational drivers license. Also, trucks over 12.5K GVWR have an increased weight fee.

Happy travels!

Old 01-24-2023, 11:30 PM   #22
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Before you pull the trigger on a hitch, I would strongly urge you to take a look at the Reese Goosebox.
Of course, you also need to get the gooseneck ball setup...my truck (see sig) came with the B&W Turnover Ball already installed.
I was so glad to be rid of the large (and heavy) hitch in the bed of the truck!!
I towed with a short bed Ram 2500 (MegaCab) and a PullRite Superglide auto slider hitch and a MorRyde pinbox. Both are excellent products and worked flawlessly for almost 9 years of towing.
But the Goosebox is so nice with suspension to cushion the connection to the truck (airbag and twin shocks) and the added convenience of having the truck bed available is totally worth it.
The stability is excellent...of course the dually with auto leveling rear suspension helps with that! My dually is a shortbed MegaCab so just to be sure I have enough clearance I went with a B&W offset ball which moves the connection point (the ball) back 4 inches from the ball socket.
Didn't need (or want) a long bed, but LOVE the MegaCab dually!
Old 01-29-2023, 09:12 AM   #23
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
I second the goose box if you are getting a new one ton make sure it has the goose neck prep package then your options are wide open on hitches. goose box will be more cost
400 to 600 more than but a fifth hitch that goes in your truck but the benefits out weigh the cost in my opinion. You don't have a hitch taking up bed space and no heavy hitch to remove when you want to use the bed of your truck. Plus the ride quality of the hitch is better, no chunking and bucking well at least a smother ride.

This short bed thing is not an issue if it is a standard bed over 6 feet long. the goose box is a couple of inched longer and i know gm has moved their ball slight further back to help with cab clearance not sure about ram and ford, plus keystone and other makers have rounded the front of their fifth wheels for more cab clearance. They call max turn technology or some other marketing scheme that is just standard build stuff.

There are draw backs to the goosebox you need to have access to an air compressor from time to time to fill airbags as needed. also you have to be more precise in hooking it up because you have to be directly over the ball and most states require to use of safety chains with it while a kingpin set up chains are not required.

Hope this helps !
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:50 PM   #24
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Yes, that is one downside (minor) to the Goosebox...it REALLY helps to have a spotter/assistant to hitch up!
Old 01-31-2023, 07:55 PM   #25
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
I like the B&W
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:39 AM   #26
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
After having the Anderson, I went with the Reese Goosebox. I absolutely love it and the ride. Now I have nothing in the bed of my truck. Hooking up is no problem as I use an alignment guide, which is just two magnetized yellow balls on an expandable pole.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...00R8EWV9O&th=1
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:26 PM   #27
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
I like the B and W it works great
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote